Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1986 johnson 60hp old 2 stroke

1986 johnson 60hp old 2 stroke

hey all well i couldnt hold back , ive got me self another boat to get me thru the summer in case covid gets more out of control lock down dramas etc , any way more details on that later, or now ive dropped the leg on the ordered a impeller kit from the USA as there is no stock left in australia , well ive ordered a thermostat from QLD , you see its a old school 86 model and what i need to pick from the jury is this the water intake screen has perished being plastic and all broke to bits so im thinking of just inserting a mesh of some sorts before i attach the leg again ,, anyone done some handy craft like this need some ideas cheer
    done a compression test and was happy with the figures of 112/110/110 psi ...thoughts

upon starting the mid section of the leg got quite hot and concluded that the,intake grommet was missing from the impeller housing to the intake pipe meaning water was escaping thoughts
    photos to come

Re: 1986 johnson 60hp old 2 stroke

Just been through chasing overheats with a early 90's model 70hp. May be a different engine but ended up having to pull the water jacket and head due to build ups causing blockages even though the tell tale was good. The tell tale exits the water jacket prior to an water really getting in around the cylinders and really only indicates that the water pump is working. There was also a service bulletin about relocation of the tell tale outlet to the top of the water jacket to allow better air bleeding and prevent steam displacing water from the jacket in an overheat - worth looking into to see if it pertains to your motor.

Most tell tails are like that, people often say "it can't be over heating, the tell tail is cool" but it's just not so.

I had a 1989 70hp evinrude first trip out got about 3kms downstreem and steam started pouring out lucky a mate had his tinny there we got a tow back, i took the cowling off the next day and the hose going from the top of the powerhead to the pee hole was pinched by the rear cowling latch

yes good point about steam displacing water , this may be evident too , after switchjing of can hear little and a final whossh of steam , and replacing thermo as its varying temperature changes on the tell tale ,

Also check the bottom casing of the water pump if a previous owner has ran her dry the driveshaft spinning heats up the plastic around the driveshaft and it oblongs the hole so when u run the engine the water comes up the intake enters the pump than squeezes thru the melted oblong hole and loose the pressure back down to inside the intake

well wouldnt you now it after stock running out in QLD had to order a impeller kit from the states , now check and stock available in VIC , ahh well i was able to order a plastic water intake screen from QLD so thats good , and since lock down isnt ending soon may as well order new decals and prepare a spray job , restore the old motor . installed a new thermostat might get some pics tomozza

Don't let the big boat fall behind Cat i have gone fishing on a boat 3 times since my big boat project has been happening

I worked on mine many nights 7pm thru to 11pm fibreglassing under a 12v led strip light and a portable fluorecent light from bunnings

Dreams come true remember and remember the goal

cheers yeah the project is just taking a nap during winter i havent gone near it for months but just waitng for warm weather and daylight savings to come around and it might stir things up a bit , ive also come down to earth thinking i could have had it finished more quickly but it happens , ive allowed another year to finishe it and so that why i went out and got me a little toy boat to play in until the time comes

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Just been through chasing overheats with a early 90's model 70hp. May be a different engine but ended up having to pull the water jacket and head due to build ups causing blockages even though the tell tale was good. The tell tale exits the water jacket prior to an water really getting in around the cylinders and really only indicates that the water pump is working. There was also a service bulletin about relocation of the tell tale outlet to the top of the water jacket to allow better air bleeding and prevent steam displacing water from the jacket in an overheat - worth looking into to see if it pertains to your motor.
    been researching this old motor and the bulletin was saying what your saying , move the tell tale tee so im going to do this as this old motor has never been touched with low hours so ill tap into the top of the head , cheers for the heads up as ive never had any vintage outboards like this before , saying that the word is on the Hull Truth saying this was one of the best motors made by OMC

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Also check the bottom casing of the water pump if a previous owner has ran her dry the driveshaft spinning heats up the plastic around the driveshaft and it oblongs the hole so when u run the engine the water comes up the intake enters the pump than squeezes thru the melted oblong hole and loose the pressure back down to inside the intake
    see original location of tell tale lower down near pencil , relocate up higher into the cover plate or tap into the head as per OMC service bulletins to insure cooling is not displaced by air pockets
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    yes good point about steam displacing water , this may be evident too , after switchjing of can hear little and a final whossh of steam , and replacing thermo as its varying temperature changes on the tell tale ,
    not sure if you can make out but definetly the flow indicates as have others previous said , only indicates the the pump is working and hardly or can decieve one into thinking the block is getting good cooling

hey all well i couldnt hold back , ive got me self another boat to get me thru the summer in case covid gets more out of control lock down dramas etc , any way more details on that later, or now ive dropped the leg on the ordered a impeller kit from the USA as there is no stock left in australia , well ive ordered a thermostat from QLD , you see its a old school 86 model and what i need to pick from the jury is this the water intake screen has perished being plastic and all broke to bits so im thinking of just inserting a mesh of some sorts before i attach the leg again ,, anyone done some handy craft like this need some ideas cheer
    done a compression test and was happy with the figures of 112/110/110 psi ...thoughts

upon starting the mid section of the leg got quite hot and concluded that the,intake grommet was missing from the impeller housing to the intake pipe meaning water was escaping thoughts
    photos to come
    ohh yeah forgot to add that little pearler of a vintage outboard came attached to a HH 445 or 146c so its a first for me to join the haines group , this hull looks similar to the big girl only 5 ft shorter and 20 * deadrise , should ride okay never been in a hunter before, i havent even put this in the water yet and im taking it to bits

hope im not overthinking it but the final whoosh from the tell tale may indicate blown head gasket exaust gases pushing into the waterjackets , as the stream was quite powerful ?

Nice little hull that Haines, Just a thought but have a think about putting an add on gumtree looking for someone with boat building skills you don't need a shipwright but there will be blokes out there out of work willing to do side jobs for aI bit of coin, you live on the coast so should be people aroundyou that can help with your stringers and floor get her done Cat i sometimes didnt touch my hull for 5 months but i kept pushing my self my drive was my sick mum i foubd motivation in walking my dogs for 1 hour a week i startedkicking goals the more work i got done

I agree winter sucks the days are gone in a flash and its freezing weather its good to fibreglass in as u get good resin times