Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1986 johnson 60hp old 2 stroke

Re: 1986 johnson 60hp old 2 stroke

well still waiting for parts so was only able to get some decals on the cowl , just a little refresher , johnson badged motor in evinrude colors , same same
    Attached Images Attached Images

You may need to hang in there a little longer on the parts, i have been waiting 17 days on 3 different aust post orders WA, Bris, Vic all to Sydney by aust post we are going through a hard path with so many covid cases all the workers are in quarintine

back to the tell tale relocation , was pleased to see that beneath the welsh cap was a preformed hole ready made to take the tell tale new location, it was only 2mm thick so got the 11/32 drill bit and went thr the block as per OMC recomadation .. tapped with a 1/8 NPT and caught the shavings with grease covered paper

swapped over the 90 degree elbow to new location and installed a drain cock in the old tell tale, to determine if water is still able to run by releasing the cock to determine any flow if need be

not bad or a 35 year old , no corrosion present and would have been lucky to fill up a quart a teaspoon with the scale/lime/salt build up. head and covers back on and tommorrow job to install gearbox unit with new water pump assembly

I think I once had a similar vintage motor on my first seafarer VC when I bought it. Although that one was cactus, I replaced with a slightly later 70 hp and it was a gem.

It should last a while if looked after and not overworked.

They say you should try and learn something new every day. Well I’ve completed that today thanks to you. I didn’t know you could relocate the tell-tale

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

yeah the penny dropped when scottar mentioned airlock issues with these era outboards , no experience with em whatso ever so seeing it had never been done on this motor thought id give it a crack, when started the air can be felt rushing out followed by the pee , glad i did this fix as per picture i undid the drain cock to determine flow

Hey Cat that hole where u placed the tell tale pickup lookslike the old plug that holds the serial number do u have the serial number anywhere else on the engine?

not sure but maybe a part number it was stamped on a welsh plug cap ready made for a future relocation , could be a part number from OMC bulletin

back to the issue at hand, this new to me outboard had two issues, mid section getting hot and tell tale hot , after replacing impeller and thermostats , relocation off tell tale was for a future proof only , the remainder clues led to blocked passages

see water drain to exaust has evaporated left all kinds of muck behind to settle in hole Blockage was 50% here

clean away clear hole

cylinder walls inlet cooling and out of the three holes , one to the middle cylinder was blocked by about 65% , including salt debrie and casting slag from day one , guess old mate back in the day didnt realy look to hard here

new gaskets on order and reassemble hopefully should be a good outcome

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    cylinder walls inlet cooling and out of the three holes , one to the middle cylinder was blocked by about 65% , including salt debrie and casting slag from day one , guess old mate back in the day didnt realy look to hard here
    please to say outboard has around 2 hundred hours and the condition of the pistons shows good , no heavy guages or scorching ? you no what i mean

You get her running yet Cat? I heard we can do unlimited exercise now and under previous rules u could go fishing as exercise