Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WA and Kimberleys

Re: WA and Kimberleys

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Gibb River track is awesome. Did it many years ago and at the time, yes, it was very rough. Me and the missus did it in a 84 Troopy, had no dramas as took it easy but found many vehicles on the side of the road with broken shockies, suspension etc. People would look at us as we pulled up to offer assistance in the old girl, and shake their heads when we say we have had no dramas, even get more annoyed when they found out we had travelled from Byron in her!! the long way...Learnt the hard way about dealing with the road trains though, must remember to wind up the windows, and close the little vents near the foot well PRIOR to pulling over and letting the road train go by, never got that fine dust out of the truck or the dog!!
    JN
    Thanks, Yep..... Slow and steady will win the race. My rear suspension is pretty new, but the front struts will be renewed 1 month before I leave. They are 140,000 k's old, but are holding up well, Aussie made EFS stuff ><>

I will also be carrying spare rubbers / mounts, washer and bolts. If I blow a shockie, that is a non critical issue and to be honest, I've given my shockies a thrashing over the last 8 years, so not expecting any trouble.

I saw a video of the road into Kalumburu yesterday..... looks like another " take it easy " road and hopefully all the river crossings are good by July.

I dare say I won't be the only one heading up these roads at this time next year. Just gotta be prepared.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

It seems the Gibb River Rd is having some bitumen laid. Unsure how much, but saw something on the net the other day about council doing some stuff.

A few more things locked in the diary for the trip, especially around Darwin and NT.

Also looking to spend more time at Karumba.

I love a good plan

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Thanks,

We are pretty sure of doing the overnight trip to Horo Falls. Just offers that little bit more time.

cheers
    Well worth the overnight stay just for a stint in the aircon. Horizontal falls was the highlight me. Good feed as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd never do the gib again lol, it's a shocker. You have to pick your speed so you "hover" over the ruts. Well worth the money to have bullet proof tyres. The rocks are like little tomahawks, Razer sharp

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just a couple of updates.

I now have the Hotwire Anderson plug fitted to charge the camper while driving and also a RedArc brake controller.

A stone deflector ( home-made ) fitted to stop those nasty rocks from the Gibb doing damage.

I have also made a plan for the following 2 days after departing Derby and onto Drysdale River Station.....

No word on a delivery date for the Camper, but not worried, they did say late January....

LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Update .

Picked up the camper. I have also done a shake down trip to Carnarvon Gorge ( central Qld )

The place was amazing.

The camper............ no issues at all. It all went very well, although I will be swapping out the mattress's... being 75mm thick high density foam , just ain't cutting it.

The Colorado towed it nicely and 105kph seems to be the sweet spot. It blew the fuel out to 14.2ltrs / 100 k's, and in the big scheme of things, pretty happy with that. Not happy with diesel prices though.( top price paid was $2.39/ltr )

Took under 30 minutes to set up camper with 2 people. I didn't zip on the annex, just used a 4.5 x 3 marquee which worked really well and will be doing this for the WA trip. Having said that, if I stayed in the one place for a week, I would zip on the annex and ensuite.

I have purchased some tyres the same size as the trailers and they are 10 ply. The WA trip is drawing close and plans are 75% sorted, with some activities and accom already booked and paid for.

I've attached some random photos.

LP

just a couple more

Looks great ,enjoy your journey. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Nothing like a shakedown trip, love Carnarvon Gorge, did you get up early and look for Platypuses further down the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Nothing like a shakedown trip, love Carnarvon Gorge, did you get up early and look for Platypuses further down the creek.
    Saw the Pusses morning and afternoon. Kellie got up at 4am ( as did i ) and she did the Boolimba Bluff walk to greet the sunrise.. 900 steps up 300 mtrs......... not sure this old fart could handle that, after the day before we did the 22k hike up to Cathedral Cave and back, visiting all off-shoots................

LP

Saw the Pusses morning and afternoon. Kellie got up at 4am ( as did i ) and she did the Boolimba Bluff walk to greet the sunrise.. 900 steps up 300 mtrs......... not sure this old fart could handle that, after the day before we did the 22k hike up to Cathedral Cave and back, visiting all off-shoots................

LP
    Easy peasy, this old fart (70+) did it twice two years ago in the morning, once before breakfast with a couple of young ladies, then after breakfast with my wife and daughter
    To be honest my adventuring spirit was a little limited by my family, certainly could do more. Even my offshore trips seem to be limited by my crew, most are so stuffed that I send them home at the end so I can clean the boat.

7 weeks until departure.

Took the new camper to the " shop ' and had a wheel alignment........ lucky I did, was out a fair bit and no doubt would have caused issues with the tyres after all those kilometers.

Also fitted new tyres to the Colorado.. so they are the same size as camper tyres...

I even went all out today and bought new ends caps for the bottom of my camp chair....

LP

7 weeks until departure.

Took the new camper to the " shop ' and had a wheel alignment........ lucky I did, was out a fair bit and no doubt would have caused issues with the tyres after all those kilometers.

Also fitted new tyres to the Colorado.. so they are the same size as camper tyres...

I even went all out today and bought new ends caps for the bottom of my camp chair....

LP
    Enjoy the Kimberley mate , it’s way special in a heap of ways . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Did another shake down out at Coolmunda dam. All went to plan

Some random photos attached. Even a drone shot of the carpark at the boat ramp.... no cars ? since when ? hahahahahaa

LP

Looks like you are getting quite a comfortable setup happening there Phil...

Great timing too..at least you wont have to freeze your balls off for much longer...

Looking forward to some reports of the trip and some cool drone shots hopefully...

A little bit jealous though I must say..