Thread: Kinchant revisited

Kinchant revisited

Well after close to a 6 year hiatus & change of plans we made the 1750km haul up to Lake Kinchant - This was going to be something different - new deccy (Dave) a barra newby & fishing out of the Barcrusher ( not exactly the right boat for fishing a weedy barra dam ) but hey - I was back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barcrusher on Kinchant.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	126178

we were prewarned that fishing was quite tough but I still had some confidence that we'd do alright

Set up camp reasonably quickly & decided to go for a quick flick ( no idea where to go & the lay of the land) ....... went straight to the hollowbellies & missed a bite before jumping off 3 ....... guess I was a bit rusty before landing an 88cm fish Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First of the trip .jpg 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	126174

Pulled the pin after a couple of hours & went back to camp for a few bevies & to catch up with a couple of old mates who were also there.

Next day was a bit of a reccy to try to get a feel for the place & it was certainly different to what I had experienced on previous trips - most of my happy hunting holes were either lily beds or heavily weeded ...... this was a whole new kettle of fish . There was some nice clear water in some of the bays - so it was going to be alright for spotting fish.
    As it turned out - it was a real grind - Davey lost his barra virginity in the first 24 hrs & we were basically getting only 1 fish per session & the odd missed or jumped fish . Camp fire discussions put this down to being quite cool ( water temps low 26s) & a constant cool SE wind) .
    The other boys did have a couple of multiple fish sessions - though they fished pretty hard with 4am starts & late finishes ........ Me I didn't want to break my new deckie & let him get some sleep .
    So we did have some highlights ...... Dave landed a 90cm fish - before we lost total power ( rookie error) requiring a tow back to camp . I did manage a few fish during daylight hours on old school stiffies . Landed one at camp on surface. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daves first barra .jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	126175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stiffy still works.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	126176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunset barra.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	126177 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daves 90cm barra.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	126179

As usual - there were some boat issues - leccy stopped working & we had to bypass the breakers / charges to get running again . . The new HDS 16 & 12 Live sounders draw a heck of a lot of power - particularly when using active target - learnt the hard way when left the isolator on both .... LiFfePO4 - just shut down. A small dam like kinchant & you just dont get the charge into the batteries over a few days of fishing ( need to recharge the batteries every couple of days). Then we had a blocked tell tail which gave us an overheating issue - the boys tried to clear it back at camp to no avail (funny thing was that I asked Davey the next day as we were packing up where were they trying to unblock ....... they were not clearing the tell tale but the little exhaust outlet next to it - I should have watched what they were doing ..... took me 15 mins to do once I got home.

With regards to Active target - We landed 3 of the 9 fish after spotting them in scout mode - cast & hook up. A dam like Kinchant with all of its weed & weed towers makes it difficult to use it effectively though our last session we did use it to watch a couple of barra chasing bait - very cool.

Anyhow that's about it ...... worth going for the trip (good company & nice to catch up with old mates ) - Would probably go back on a new moon rather than full moon - During our last morning I saw & counted 17 barra off one bank sitting in a meter of water digesting their meal from the night before .... .several I could have touched with my fishing rod . Not a lot of fish & a bit of a grind when compared to previous trips where we have landed up to16 fish in 1 session ..... I'll be back in 2023

Chris

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Kinchant revisited

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well after close to a 6 year hiatus & change of plans we made the 1750km haul up to Lake Kinchant - This was going to be something different - new deccy (Dave) a barra newby & fishing out of the Barcrusher ( not exactly the right boat for fishing a weedy barra dam ) but hey - I was back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barcrusher on Kinchant.jpg 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	126178

we were prewarned that fishing was quite tough but I still had some confidence that we'd do alright

Set up camp reasonably quickly & decided to go for a quick flick ( no idea where to go & the lay of the land) ....... went straight to the hollowbellies & missed a bite before jumping off 3 ....... guess I was a bit rusty before landing an 88cm fish Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First of the trip .jpg 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	126174

Pulled the pin after a couple of hours & went back to camp for a few bevies & to catch up with a couple of old mates who were also there.

Next day was a bit of a reccy to try to get a feel for the place & it was certainly different to what I had experienced on previous trips - most of my happy hunting holes were either lily beds or heavily weeded ...... this was a whole new kettle of fish . There was some nice clear water in some of the bays - so it was going to be alright for spotting fish.
    As it turned out - it was a real grind - Davey lost his barra virginity in the first 24 hrs & we were basically getting only 1 fish per session & the odd missed or jumped fish . Camp fire discussions put this down to being quite cool ( water temps low 26s) & a constant cool SE wind) .
    The other boys did have a couple of multiple fish sessions - though they fished pretty hard with 4am starts & late finishes ........ Me I didn't want to break my new deckie & let him get some sleep .
    So we did have some highlights ...... Dave landed a 90cm fish - before we lost total power ( rookie error) requiring a tow back to camp . I did manage a few fish during daylight hours on old school stiffies . Landed one at camp on surface. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daves first barra .jpg 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	126175 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stiffy still works.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	126176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunset barra.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	126177 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daves 90cm barra.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	126179

As usual - there were some boat issues - leccy stopped working & we had to bypass the breakers / charges to get running again . . The new HDS 16 & 12 Live sounders draw a heck of a lot of power - particularly when using active target - learnt the hard way when left the isolator on both .... LiFfePO4 - just shut down. A small dam like kinchant & you just dont get the charge into the batteries over a few days of fishing ( need to recharge the batteries every couple of days). Then we had a blocked tell tail which gave us an overheating issue - the boys tried to clear it back at camp to no avail (funny thing was that I asked Davey the next day as we were packing up where were they trying to unblock ....... they were not clearing the tell tale but the little exhaust outlet next to it - I should have watched what they were doing ..... took me 15 mins to do once I got home.

With regards to Active target - We landed 3 of the 9 fish after spotting them in scout mode - cast & hook up. A dam like Kinchant with all of its weed & weed towers makes it difficult to use it effectively though our last session we did use it to watch a couple of barra chasing bait - very cool.

Anyhow that's about it ...... worth going for the trip (good company & nice to catch up with old mates ) - Would probably go back on a new moon rather than full moon - During our last morning I saw & counted 17 barra off one bank sitting in a meter of water digesting their meal from the night before .... .several I could have touched with my fishing rod . Not a lot of fish & a bit of a grind when compared to previous trips where we have landed up to16 fish in 1 session ..... I'll be back in 2023

Chris

Excellent report thanks for that . Mat
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Nice report mate..some great fish and a good time...

Interesting just how different in colour thhose impoundment barra really are to the Saltwater versions..

an of course you know you could be doing that every weekend if you ever decided to give up that enviable Western Sydney lifestyle......

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Nice report mate..some great fish and a good time...

Interesting just how different in colour thhose impoundment barra really are to the Saltwater versions..

an of course you know you could be doing that every weekend if you ever decided to give up that enviable Western Sydney lifestyle......
    Ta mate

I dont think I've ever seen barra this golden - something that all of us commented on.

Unfortunately my time in the sun has come & gone - work & family will keep me in Shitney . That said 6 years is too long & it was a real buzz getting back on a barra dam & has me penciling in a return next October .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

That’s a small dam just saw it on youtube a while back watching Bowly fishing chase prawns and as you said you can just see them and cast to them it looks like a good fly fishing dam but it is small but the colour of those fish you caught were very nice, out of curiosity how much power do those Sounders use ????.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    That’s a small dam just saw it on youtube a while back watching Bowly fishing chase prawns and as you said you can just see them and cast to them it looks like a good fly fishing dam but it is small but the colour of those fish you caught were very nice, out of curiosity how much power do those Sounders use ????.
    The fish colours were amazing alright .

As for power consumption ( something I should have looked into ) - both sounders & active target runs at a total of 10amps ...... so you could imagine how easy it is to get caught out . Fish for a few hours & pull 40 amps ..... then you have a 5 min run ( less) & you are back at camp - not a chance in hell at putting even a few amps back into the batteries.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The fish colours were amazing alright .

As for power consumption ( something I should have looked into ) - both sounders & active target runs at a total of 10amps ...... so you could imagine how easy it is to get caught out . Fish for a few hours & pull 40 amps ..... then you have a 5 min run ( less) & you are back at camp - not a chance in hell at putting even a few amps back into the batteries.

Chris
    Holly moly 10 amps is huge you might need a dedicated battery just for your sounders thats the price for running big fishing tvs I suppose no one really talks about the power draw from the big units.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Holly moly 10 amps is huge you might need a dedicated battery just for your sounders thats the price for running big fishing tvs I suppose no one really talks about the power draw from the big units.
    Or get some eye surgery and install smaller units 😁
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Or get some eye surgery and install smaller units 
    Na ... nothing like having wide screen TVs

besides - once you split the screen 3 times - it's the size of a 6"

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO