Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lithium cranking batteries

Lithium cranking batteries

Hi All

Yep another Lithium battery thread

OK to date we've generally spoken about deep cycling batteries & as we know the technology works - it's just a case of buyer beware & how much you are willing to spend.

I'm now at a point where I'm thinking of replacing my boats main cranking batteries (4yo) . Barcrusher generally come with dual batteries ( both the same chemistry / type) ... both cranking where you can go battery A / B , A+B ...... not what I would call ideal but it's worked .

My initial thought was to go straight to a pair of Optima D27Ms & be done with it ........ but curiosity got the better of me & I'm wondering what exists in the Lithium space.
    Not a lot with the exception of the iTECH 1420 which sounds pretty damn good (8kg 60amp & 1300cca) .

Does anyone have any experience with LiFePO4 cranking battery's such as the iTECH 1420ca .... or other

Lithium Car Battery 12V Stop Start 1420amp 60Ah – Cartune Mechanics
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Lithium cranking batteries

These ones are about double the price but 100ah and only 1 year warranty which is a concern..

https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/...ithium-battery

With 6 batteries total on board and 2 of those are heavy 100ah hybrid AGM, it would be nice to drop 30-40kgs if these lithiums turn out to be good...

The $700 itech one might be worth a gamble but I'll wait till you get one Chris and see how you go for a year or 2...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    These ones are about double the price but 100ah and only 1 year warranty which is a concern..

With 6 batteries total on board and 2 of those are heavy 100ah hybrid AGM, it would be nice to drop 30-40kgs if these lithiums turn out to be good...

The $700 itech one might be worth a gamble but I'll wait till you get one Chris and see how you go for a year or 2...
    Theoretically a Lithium cranking battery should be cheaper & lighter - 16 kgs certainly will be better than 49 kgs for a pair of Optima's

A little more research before I commit to anything ..... I've got some time up my sleeve with the Sydney lockdown

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

There's a guy doing a lithium battery in combination with a supercapacitor, the actual battery is only 25Ah but apparently it will start diesel engines easily
    He also has a very active facebook group and gets a pretty good rating from everyone, might be worth a look

https://www.fpv-power.com.au/index.p...tegory&path=73

BMS cutoff voltage at 8 Volts? Very low in my books. Everything points to the lithiums (if of quality cells) being stable, it appears that the onboard charging is the main issue, and expense. Maybe down the track we'll see chargers incorporated into the BMS although I suspect a heat issue arises.

this bloke in south east Queensland makes a lithium starting battery

Deep Cycle Systems

Quote Originally Posted by stevet View Post
    this bloke in south east Queensland makes a lithium starting battery

Deep Cycle Systems
    Interesting, when somebody starts renaming conventions such as the Lithium Phosphate as LFP I start to smell a rat.

Quote Originally Posted by purnong View Post
    There's a guy doing a lithium battery in combination with a supercapacitor, the actual battery is only 25Ah but apparently it will start diesel engines easily
    He also has a very active facebook group and gets a pretty good rating from everyone, might be worth a look

https://www.fpv-power.com.au/index.p...tegory&path=73
    I spent 30 minutes watching the video..

the batteries look like beasts ...i wonder if he will do them in higher ah's...?

what about this mob ..... seem to be right through motorsports for a few years now ..... Certainly worth digging a little deeper

Lithiumax NEW RESTART10 Bluetooth 1000CA with 100Ah PbEq - Pre-order | Lithiumax 2020

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The issue will be your charging from the motor.....investigate that.
    I know in cars designed for lithium you can not swap to lead acid....
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    The issue will be your charging from the motor.....investigate that.
    I know in cars designed for lithium you can not swap to lead acid....
    From what I have just read = the Lithiumax is compatible with a normal alternator

I'll be giving them a call next week

The Lithiumax RESTART10 Bluetooth has a RESTART feature that will cut the battery power at a safe level if it is inadvertently drained and it can then be restarted in order to start the engine from the Bluetooth Lithiumax App. There is also button on the battery for restarting should your App be out of reach. A compact A123 cell battery in a T6 case size that has the dimensions of 278 x 175 x 175mm, suitable for all popular H6 and T6 size battery applications. (T6 is the same as H6 except 17mm shorter) and a jaw-dropping 6kg weight capable of delivering a phenomenal yet conservative 1000CA (Cranking Amps) and a whopping 100Ah PbEq capacity. In-fact the Lithiumax RESTART10 Bluetooth delivers over 1100A and more than 900CCA down to -20degC! Simply put, if you want the best battery money can buy, then the Lithiumax RESTART10 Bluetooth is your battery.

Ideal for engines up to 8 litres and with IP56 environmental protection, the perfect battery for both on and off-road, 4WD and boat applications. The Lithiumax RESTART10 Bluetooth can also be used under bonnet in road and off-road vehicles and can double as a starter and/or deep-cycle battery for dual battery installations.

Direct drop in fitment for most makes and models. Designed for standard alternator charging. Charging systems delivering between 14-15V optimised. The Lithiumax RESTART10 Bluetooth is covered by a 3 year no-nonsense warranty. Specifications: Power: 1000CA (1100A 3-5 sec) Cells: A123 Capacity: 100Ah PbEq Lithium Nominal: 40Ah Monitoring: Bluetooth Lithiumax App Control: Restart via App or physical on-battery button Envioronmental Protection: IP56 Dimensions: 278(w)x175(d)x175(h)mm Weight: 6kg Terminals: Right +ve built in SAE terminal posts Warranty: 3 Years
    Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’m too early in my experiment with the lithium cranking battery to give credible advice. I will say that the 40Ah Winston cells are plenty strong enough to start a 60hp Suzuki. I’d say up to that 90hp range would also be fine.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I’m too early in my experiment with the lithium cranking battery to give credible advice. I will say that the 40Ah Winston cells are plenty strong enough to start a 60hp Suzuki. I’d say up to that 90hp range would also be fine.
    So what exactly are you running for cranking ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I spent 30 minutes watching the video..

the batteries look like beasts ...i wonder if he will do them in higher ah's...?
    He's all about Diy your own setups, You can buy the supercapacitor and make up what you want in whatever AH you like really
    I think the main issue with LifePo4 is the recharge, They will take pretty much whatever current the alternator will provide to the detriment of the alternator at times so it needs to be limited by a DC/DC charger or some king of current limiting device
    There's plenty of options out there for that but you just need to do your research first
    I reckon one of those batteries for the cranking duties and a second higher AH for the house battery would be the go

Quote Originally Posted by purnong View Post
    He's all about Diy your own setups, You can buy the supercapacitor and make up what you want in whatever AH you like really
    I think the main issue with LifePo4 is the recharge, They will take pretty much whatever current the alternator will provide to the detriment of the alternator at times so it needs to be limited by a DC/DC charger or some king of current limiting device
    There's plenty of options out there for that but you just need to do your research first
    I reckon one of those batteries for the cranking duties and a second higher AH for the house battery would be the go
    It seems very simple to DIY...

Just get 4 x 3.2v cells and join to make the 12 volt battery and parallel to the supercapacitor and you would have the best of both worlds..as many ah as you want plus would start a tank and the supercapactor would minimize any issues from the high alternator current ..

I actually put up a thread about it tonight and Ian suggests that is the way to go...one fella already has such a setup that is also used for his electric motor as well as house/start...

Its here if anyone wants to take a gander joou will have to to join the FB group....https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperCapAustralia/

...I think I'll be ordering a supercapacitor to have a play with and learning a bit more about this.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Supe...omment_mention