Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lithium cranking batteries

Re: Lithium cranking batteries

Graph of Watt-Hours v Volume and Watt-Hours v Weight for different battery types.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    But most importantly how did the trip North go . Matt
    long story ...... lets just say I'm going to give up on these " Island camping trips"

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well - I just installed the Lithiumax cranker & Electribank deep cycle LiFePO$ batteries. ...... I've shed 23kgs & certainly lightened my wallet .

Motor fired up beautifully but the proof will be on the water.

When I look at the weigh saving in my boat by going Lithiums - I've pulled out over around 52kgs between all 4 batteries ........ so when I do my Island trips - that's another 60lt of fuel I can take.

Normal running around should see an improvement on fuel economy & hole shot

Chris
    Chris, Glad it's working out for you. Did you do just a straight drop in and replace or did you have to use a DC to DC charger. My 150 hp yammy is a 2013 model so not sure what the alternator/stator (or whatever it is called) will be affected. I probably still a have a good year left on my Pb batteries but looking to a change sooner than later if I had the confidence to swap.

long story ...... lets just say I'm going to give up on these " Island camping trips"

chris
    Sounds like you copped the SE Trade winds again.

Cheers Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Chris, Glad it's working out for you. Did you do just a straight drop in and replace or did you have to use a DC to DC charger. My 150 hp yammy is a 2013 model so not sure what the alternator/stator (or whatever it is called) will be affected. I probably still a have a good year left on my Pb batteries but looking to a change sooner than later if I had the confidence to swap.

Sounds like you copped the SE Trade winds again.

Cheers Sam
    Hi Sam

I rely totally on the motor to charge the Lithium cranker & house battery......

As for the trip ..... winds weren't the issue - its the other stuff . logistics & things like tides . Fringing reef & spring tides are a difficult mix

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

chris
    We wouldnt even bother with the islands this time of year, mate..between the tropical heat, soupy water, stingers and fish on holidays ...shallow-water fishing sux big time mid summer in FNQ..

Need to get to the outer reef and 40-50m plus depth if the weather is Ok and no storms or fish the rivers and creeks at night after Feb 1st.. ..

Wind was good this week though wasnt it..?..would have sucked last week though..

When do we get the report..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    We wouldnt even bother with the islands this time of year, mate..between the tropical heat, soupy water, stingers and fish on holidays ...shallow-water fishing sux big time mid summer in FNQ..

Need to get to the outer reef and 40-50m plus depth if the weather is Ok and no storms or fish the rivers and creeks at night after Feb 1st.. ..

Wind was good this week though wasnt it..?..would have sucked last week though..

a report .... hmmmm maybe something else if I could get the thing to load

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    That cyclone went past there offshore a week or so back...would have been a bit of a breeze and swell.....

Might have given the Barcrusher a good test out....are they a wet boat Chris..?..

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    Graph of Watt-Hours v Volume and Watt-Hours v Weight for different battery types.
    Can you add in LiFePo4?

The latest we used to go was October but you go when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Can you add in LiFePo4?
    A list of most common Li-ions batteries and their specs.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...of-lithium-ion

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    A list of most common Li-ions batteries and their specs.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...of-lithium-ion
    Thanks Danf, there's certainly a very broad spectrum in that list although your area chart specifically refers to Lithium Ion. All the others have significantly different specs.

That cyclone went past there offshore a week or so back...would have been a bit of a breeze and swell.....

Might have given the Barcrusher a good test out....are they a wet boat Chris..?..
    Not since I added the clears

The winds were pretty bad on a couple of days just before new year - & a lot of rain but we still got to have a snorkel

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

[QUOTE=NAGG;1694385]Hi Sam

As for the trip ..... winds weren't the issue - its the other stuff . logistics & things like tides . Fringing reef & spring tides are a difficult mix

Couple of thoughts: Why then, would companies like Enerdrive develop a dc2dc charger for lithium batteries? I cant see out boat alternators/stators being smarter than a car alternator. Whilst your system may work for now, i would be worried about the health of the charging system over time- there is very little resistance in lithium batteries and your alternator/stator maybe working its tits off...

Mercury and Suzuki have all issued service bulletins specifically mentioning that any Lithium battery is NOT recommended as a cranking battery. Speculation has it that in the event of a BMS shut off the current has no where to go if the battery shuts off recieving charge which could lead to a massive spike in the system... Not sure about Yamaha or honda though but i would raise an eyebrow if they have it sorted and the others dont.

Yes there are multiple boats running lithium crank batteries but its pretty early days as to if the outboard manufacturers are warranted with their warnings or not... I for one am still opting for a "dumb" crank and a smart house using a dc2dc charger- still dont think anyone has the design sorted yet and dc2dc chargers still havent learnt to charge a lithium off a lithium (that i know of)

[QUOTE=baitable;1694422]
    Hi Sam

Couple of thoughts: Why then, would companies like Enerdrive develop a dc2dc charger for lithium batteries? I cant see out boat alternators/stators being smarter than a car alternator. Whilst your system may work for now, i would be worried about the health of the charging system over time- there is very little resistance in lithium batteries and your alternator/stator maybe working its tits off...

Mercury and Suzuki have all issued service bulletins specifically mentioning that any Lithium battery is NOT recommended as a cranking battery. Speculation has it that in the event of a BMS shut off the current has no where to go if the battery shuts off recieving charge which could lead to a massive spike in the system... Not sure about Yamaha or honda though but i would raise an eyebrow if they have it sorted and the others dont.

Yes there are multiple boats running lithium crank batteries but its pretty early days as to if the outboard manufacturers are warranted with their warnings or not... I for one am still opting for a "dumb" crank and a smart house using a dc2dc charger- still dont think anyone has the design sorted yet and dc2dc chargers still havent learnt to charge a lithium off a lithium (that i know of)
    I guess it depends on the battery chosen - The BMS & how it is configured

DCDC chargers are recommended when you have "smart alternators" for exactly that reason

An outboard with a dumb alternator is less of a concern if your Lithium battery is designed for the application (like my Lithiumax) ...... most are not though.

In my Canopy I run an Enerdrive system - because the Navara has a smart alternator.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO