Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lithium cranking batteries

Re: Lithium cranking batteries

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    It seems very simple to DIY...

Just get 4 x 3.2v cells and join to make the 12 volt battery and parallel to the supercapacitor and you would have the best of both worlds..as many ah as you want plus would start a tank and the supercapactor would minimize any issues from the high alternator current ..

I actually put up a thread about it tonight and Ian suggests that is the way to go...one fella already has such a setup that is also used for his electric motor as well as house/start...

Its here if anyone wants to take a gander joou will have to to join the FB group....https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperCapAustralia/

...I think I'll be ordering a supercapacitor to have a play with and learning a bit more about this.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Supe...omment_mention
    Great stuff mate, It will be interesting to see how you go with it
    I'll be heading down this path too once my current batteries die
    Plenty of info here on Diy batteries and related stuff https://diysolarforum.com/forums/diy...tery-banks.22/
    Also lookup "Will Prowse" on youtube , he actually runs that forum but also does some very good videos on lithium batteries, He pulls apart commercially made ones and also how to Diy your own
    It's pretty interesting stuff when you get in to it

Do we think lithium will drop in price year on year ? Or manufacturers will hold them above lead acid pricing always

I’ve decided to wait till I can afford a brushless electric well not afford but for when my current unit dies as nothing wrong with it
    bought a no name special for 439 100 ah to run my Sounders so can get a full weekend without having to recharge one battery at least

I risked buying a 300ah Voltax for my boat inverter. 400ah discharge and 200ah continuous sounded good. May be a little low for larger outboard cranking though.

Tested the actual Ah discharge capacity at well over 300ah and battery still going 100% 12 months later, so can’t be all bad.

They’ve just released a 200ah with same discharge specs.
    https://outbax.com.au/voltx-200ah-li...t-tech-lifepo4

This is a couple of years old, but a good informative read

https://theboatgalley.com/lithium-batteries-boat/

Good luck with you research

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Mob called Sealed Performance Batteries do a couple of different brands - Invicta and Super Sport. In the Super Sport range they have a lithium hybrid that is supposed to be good for 1200 CCA.

HTML Code:
    what about this mob ..... seem to be right through motorsports for a few years now ..... Certainly worth digging a little deeper
    Looking forward to hearing what they say -

Yesterday I used their contact asking whether the battery was ok as a starting battery

this morning they came back and advised

HTML Code:
    yes the Lithiumax flagship RESTART10 Bluetooth unit is suitable for outboards up to 300HP
    I will be interested in the outcome of your discussions with them and in particular if the setup requires a DC/DC charger

I recall seeing somewhere - probably THT - that Mercury had issued a bulletin against the use of lithium batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Do we think lithium will drop in price year on year ? Or manufacturers will hold them above lead acid pricing always

I’ve decided to wait till I can afford a brushless electric well not afford but for when my current unit dies as nothing wrong with it
    bought a no name special for 439 100 ah to run my Sounders so can get a full weekend without having to recharge one battery at least
    Prices are certainly coming down ..... I paid $1100 for Fusion 100amp - 2 1/2 years later you can buy them for $850 ..... They seem to be the first of the big brands to move down . .
    The Lithium raw material is sitting at around half the price that is was 3 years ago ..... .so that's good .

I dont think you'll see the price of a LiFePO4 get down in price to a AGM level - there is a lot more to producing a LiFeO4 & no doubt the battery manufacturers will want to milk it for all that it is worth ........ You certainly can roll the dice & pay around $500 now

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Mob called Sealed Performance Batteries do a couple of different brands - Invicta and Super Sport. In the Super Sport range they have a lithium hybrid that is supposed to be good for 1200 CCA.
    I had a bit of a look at these yesterday ..... big bucks

I wonder if this "jump start" is the use of these super capacitors ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

I wonder if this "jump start" is the use of these super capacitors ?

Chris
    yep thats it....they are not so much a storage device but can dump and recharge a lot of energy in no time which saves your standard liFePO4 cells from damage from that massive amperage draw whilst cranking..good quality ones are also supposed to last almost forever..(Like a million cycles )...

I spent 30 minutes watching the video..

the batteries look like beasts ...i wonder if he will do them in higher ah's...?
    Interesting video

Shame it's only 25 amp ......

I notice on their website that they do a 110amp deep cycle for $880 with charger ...... but what is the quality of the battery like , is it just a generic Chinese battery or something better ?

As previously mentioned .... Will Prowse does some interesting teardowns of batteries

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Interesting video

Shame it's only 25 amp ......

I notice on their website that they do a 110amp deep cycle for $880 with charger ...... but what is the quality of the battery like , is it just a generic Chinese battery or something better ?

As previously mentioned .... Will Prowse does some interesting teardowns of batteries

Chris
    I dont know...You could ask Ian...

Personally I'd buy the Sinopoly kit for $700 and a case for $35 ...

Yeah I could watch Will Prowse video's all day...lol...I love the way he delves into stuff just a pity no-one does teardowns of Aussie LiFePO4 batteries... its all about whats in the case and some of the cheaper ones might be quite OK but you just dont know until its opened up and you can visually inspect the wiriing, connections and BMS and do a capacity test..

I dont know...You could ask Ian...

Personally I'd buy the Sinopoly kit for $700 and a case for $35 ...

Yeah I could watch Will Prowse video's all day...lol...I love the way he delves into stuff just a pity no-one does teardowns of Aussie LiFePO4 batteries... its all about whats in the case and some of the cheaper ones might be quite OK but you just dont know until its opened up and you can visually inspect the wiriing, connections and BMS and do a capacity test..
    Been watching his vids for a while now ..... I've seen a couple ripped open & with one it was literally telephone wires connecting everything ..... pretty scary really.
    Seen the photos of bricks used .
    Keep in mind that a lot of these batteries that Will tears down are probably ending up here just with another sticker on it.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Has anyone had experience with the Lithium batteries?

They aren't far from me, I have purchased a couple of AGM batteries from them, have not given any trouble.

As always, wondering if they are too cheap.

Lithium is a type not a brand.....
    Jack.

So what exactly are you running for cranking ?

Chris
    40Ah Winston lithium cells.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.