Thread: Battery

Battery

We have just pulled the trigger on a Minn kota Ulterra and looking into a 24v lithium battery to save some kilos (having to offset the extra ones i carry onboard) I have been given a tip to check out FPV-POWER @ https://www.fpv-power.com.au/index.p...ory&path=67_69 and wondering if anyone has experienced this brand? Also open to the wisdom on the forum on brands to buy or avoid as well. Really appreciate any guidance in this. Thanks Harry.

Re: Battery

Quote Originally Posted by odieman150 View Post
    We have just pulled the trigger on a Minn kota Ulterra and looking into a 24v lithium battery to save some kilos (having to offset the extra ones i carry onboard) I have been given a tip to check out FPV-POWER @ https://www.fpv-power.com.au/index.p...ory&path=67_69 and wondering if anyone has experienced this brand? Also open to the wisdom on the forum on brands to buy or avoid as well. Really appreciate any guidance in this. Thanks Harry.
    $1500 for a 24volt 100amp + battery has the alarm bells ringing ....... It's cheap - now ask yourself how can it be so cheap

A battery like this of any quality would sell for 50-100% more

Yeh , people will tell you different ...... but if you want a battery that will last ..... go with the known brands

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris, I am brand new to this lithium thing, what brand do you use yourself? What are some known brands please. thanks Harry

Thanks Chris, I am brand new to this lithium thing, what brand do you use yourself? What are some known brands please. thanks Harry
    For the last 2 1/2 years I ran a pair of 100amp Fusion in my boat ....... Fusion are well established & one of the leaders in LiFePO4 batteries - They have been faultless. Prices have come down in recent times - a saving of about $250 on what I paid

In the last couple of months I've switched over to a pair of 125amp Enerdrive B Tech ...... purely for the extra capacity but with the added benefit of bluetooth monitoring . Enerdrive is pure quality & I had already been running one in my ute's canopy for about 18 months . The downside is cost @ $1550 a pop .

There are no doubt other good brands such as Redarc , Battle Born , Sentry & Renogy ...... These 6 brands are a great starting place . I know BLA have just brought out a Lithium range - though to me they seem very expensive.

Unfortunately there are too many horror stories when it comes to Lithium batteries (build / wiring / BMS) ...... so if you do deviate from the known & proven brands - then at least buy through a reputable seller because you then have that back up if something goes wrong.

It's a big investment going to LiFePO4 but well worth it for the benefits gained of extra usable capacity , faster charging ...... & weight reduction

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I could be wrong but it's interesting that FPV Power state they are a local (melbourne) family business yet that name has been around in the US for a while so not sure what's going on. I agree exceptionally cheap especially as all their units come with a charger.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Not sure if it's the same mob, but FPV are talked about and recommended a lot in the Kayak side of fishing, well they were when I was kayaking down south and setting up my Hobie.
    I never heard anything bad about them, but maybe some research could be done there for what they're like.
    Cheers
    Corry

They are still going Corry as kayaks2fish and seem to have a pretty good following on " off ya face, book"

Three brothers buying and selling stuff, that's could be classed as an aussie family business.

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Not sure if it's the same mob, but FPV are talked about and recommended a lot in the Kayak side of fishing, well they were when I was kayaking down south and setting up my Hobie.
    I never heard anything bad about them, but maybe some research could be done there for what they're like.
    In the US they did mostly batteries for things like motor scooters, bikes etc and kayaks.

Three brothers buying and selling stuff, that's could be classed as an aussie family business.
    That's often the case although interestingly enough one of the proprietors in the US was called Ian, coincidence?

The weights of the batteries appear to be in the ball park but being sealed units who's game to rip one apart to find a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

The weights of the batteries appear to be in the ball park but being sealed units who's game to rip one apart to find a brick.
    Sam, apparently these are the cells used...

lithium.jpg

Ian has been operating his facebook page for a while now with 7.8K followers/members and have seen him recommended on quite a few forums/pages...havent actually heard a single bad thing about him...

I asked what cells, connectors and BMS they were using in those particular batteries and received a link to his post explaining about the batteries...including the above photo of the cells...they also sell DIY battery kits using Sinopoly cells which along with Calb, Winston etc are the more popular chinese cells used by the "better" suppliers here in australia.....including Enerdrive, Fusion etc who charge a fortune for the same cells.

lithium ian.jpg

Website address and FB link for anyone wants to find out stuff for themselves rather then speculate..

The FB page is also very useful as many of the members there build their own batteries for many different uses....Quite interesting to see and mostly a lot easier then people think ...

https://www.fpv-power.com.au/What%20is%20FPV-POWER

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperCapAustralia/about

They do say that much of their stuff is coming out of China ...... Alibaba anyone

you just dont know ....... Some bloke imports a container of cheap batteries out of China - who knows what you end up with . There are some good YouTube videos of just what can be found inside these batteries ....... some might contain a brick - whilst others may use top grade cells .... but the BMS could be crappy or poorly laid out / thin wires - poorly soldered ........ you just don't know.
    Yes , most batteries are coming out of China but there is a difference between someone just buying cheap batteries to a company having batteries designed & manufactured in China.

But hey these blokes in Victoria may be the real deal & have great batteries ....... who's game to splash the cash ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Sam, apparently these are the cells used...

lithium.jpg

Ian has been operating his facebook page for a while now with 7.8K followers/members and have seen him recommended on quite a few forums/pages...havent actually heard a single bad thing about him...

I asked what cells, connectors and BMS they were using in those particular batteries and received a link to his post explaining about the batteries...including the above photo of the cells...they also sell DIY battery kits using Sinopoly cells which along with Calb, Winston etc are the more popular chinese cells used by the "better" suppliers here in australia.....including Enerdrive, Fusion etc who charge a fortune for the same cells.

lithium ian.jpg

Website address and FB link for anyone wants to find out stuff for themselves rather then speculate..

The FB page is also very useful as many of the members there build their own batteries for many different uses....Quite interesting to see and mostly a lot easier then people think ...

https://www.fpv-power.com.au/What%20is%20FPV-POWER

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SuperCapAustralia/about
    Scott, thanks for that, I thought I'd remembered someone using them. If they are the real McCoy then they are quite reasonable especially as they throw in the charger as well.

Thanks for all the responses guys, we ordered a Baintech 24v 110ah lithium yesterday.