Thread: New dash, Old Furuno

New dash, Old Furuno

I have a flush mounted Furuno GP1610 plotter /sounder that is 20 odd years old. The screen has been affected by sun and its very clunky to use compared to the Simrad NSS9 Evo 2 I have as well.
    Ill be having a dashboard makeover and was going to ditch the Furuno but the AIRMAR P66 Transducer still works ok and is installed and m wondering if there is any use for it somehow. The External GPS antenna will also be there and capable of being Used too I guess.
    So how can I use these things? Ive been thinking of getting another display instead of switching from chart to sonar on the simrad all the time. Yes I do have split screens but I keep forgetting to switch it to full screen when I move around in the boat and when I look back at it its all too small when in split mode.

So do I try to recycle the Airmar and GPS antenna? Do I flush mount the Simrad? its currently externally mounted in a bracket. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance

Re: New dash, Old Furuno

How many pins on the Airmar P66 plug that goes into the plotter?

I too have an old Furuno FCV sounder and I needed a new transducer and they don't sell the old pin size here any more so I had to import one from the US

Your unit could easily be of use to anyone with and old Furuno needing an old P66 transducer

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

OH. Im not sure. Ill check over the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    How many pins on the Airmar P66 plug that goes into the plotter?

I too have an old Furuno FCV sounder and I needed a new transducer and they don't sell the old pin size here any more so I had to import one from the US

Your unit could easily be of use to anyone with and old Furuno needing an old P66 transducer

Cheers
    Chimo

Do a search on P66 transducers plugs and you will see the range. I think 10 pin is the latest but it was a while ago and the grey matter has moved on!

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

The 10 pin molded plastic transducer plug came into being when they went from CRT displays to LCD I think. The earlier plugs were what was referred to as "microphone" plugs at the time and most companies used an 8 pin to allow for speed and temperature input. Some sounders also had 3 pin sockets to suit basic depth only transducers. The P66 transducer has only been available in Australia with the molded 10 pin for Furuno units as it came into being much later. We used to change the plug for older models as microphone plugs can be either molded or field fit. All previous sounders had a wedge type transducer from either Furuno or Airmar P52 if a transom mount was used. The 1610 will be using a 10 pin that will fit current units. The GPS antenna won't typically be compatible with anything new as it's a "passive" antenna as was typical in it's day. Most (if not all - can't think of any these days) modern units use a NMEA2000 or other variation of a "smart" antenna these days. Some Garmin units used to run a passive type input as an option but I don't think it's still the case.

Thanks Scottar,
    Im getting rid of the furuno from the dashboard but Ill leave the transducer in place and maybe look for an adaptor to connect it to my Simrad Evo2 if it will fit. Im wondering if I might get a better bottom lock at speed than the 2 in 1 on the other side of the boat.

Cheers