Thread: First Swains Trip

First Swains Trip

I am heading out to the Swains for 7 nights and have read so many posts on trips, I am getting a bit impatient now.
    Just wanting to get a bit of advise.
    I am taking a Saragossa 18000 on a Shimano 24-37kg rod for the dory and a TLD20 on a boat rod for the mother ship.
    Question is, i have an Ambassadeur 5500 that i was intending on taking to predominantly use to jig for liveys and flick some lures around(Maybe???)
    What rod would be suggested to match with it??? Type and size????

TIA

Re: First Swains Trip

Mate, you going to get taxed out there worse than what Frydenberg does to us. My advice in general is don't be caught undergunned. I'm assuming you're using lighter line on the Abu, I'd probably use a something like a Zing 8-10kg. I wouldn't be spending too much on a tough trip like that. Had a mate that snapped two brand new t-curves (his fault) on one trip, ouch.

I’ve been a few times and take a 10-15kg rod loaded with 30 pound mono for the shallow stuff in the dories. No lead, just a hook. Also take a 30 pound braid outfit for plastics and lures plus a 50 pound outfit on a jig rod for deeper stuff. You will have the time of your life. Fish in the dories as much as you can. It’s getting harder and harder to get the fish past the sharks off the mother ship. Good luck mate

50 lb and 70lb handling finger stalls and have fun ,tow you line out the back going out to get the twists out and take the stretch out schinder line is the brand to get and never ever wrap you line around your hand or finger or you will find out the hard way ,it's a cheap option will test your skills.

Take a viewer to look for plate coral or turn you dory around in circles to glass out the water to see what's under you,troll the north western corners of the reef for homer mackerel,a gar on a float is always worth having out even if your anchored in a deep lagoon,and on the southern end of some reefs there's aggraogation points were trout gather at this time of the year if you look for points like in a dam like were bass hang out.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    50 lb and 70lb handling finger stalls and have fun ,tow you line out the back going out to get the twists out and take the stretch out schinder line is the brand to get and never ever wrap you line around your hand or finger or you will find out the hard way ,it's a cheap option will test your skills.

Take a viewer to look for plate coral or turn you dory around in circles to glass out the water to see what's under you,troll the north western corners of the reef for homer mackerel,a gar on a float is always worth having out even if your anchored in a deep lagoon,and on the southern end of some reefs there's aggraogation points were trout gather at this time of the year if you look for points like in a dam like were bass hang out.

Something like this
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Don't underdo your leader while fishing the flats in the dories. Keep your drag tight and get em up quick. 40pound leader is too light - once it touches the coral its all over. Squid sessions are fun too with a light outfit off the mother ship.

I personally don’t get the hand line thing. I’ve been in the dories dozens of sessions and you need to cast to the bombies to get to the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    I personally don’t get the hand line thing. I’ve been in the dories dozens of sessions and you need to cast to the bombies to get to the fish.
    Well you normaly fish the split or pressure face on a bombie so the current takes your bait too it,and its all about getting the fish away from structure faster.

If i was fishing the weather face of a reef id be a dory length off the reef were the swell lifts up onto the reef so you can fish your way down the reef face ,you can fish closer the you think.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Any reports from the trip CHFISHO? How'd ya end up going with your set up?
    Cheers
    Corry