Classifieds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Tilapia Biocontrol.

  1. #16

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    Dignity, that must be downstream of the wall around Young's Crossing. I remember a huge fish kill there years ago in the drought and most were Tilapia.
    As for the dam itself, we used to catch and release them in the late 80's because us kids were told they were inedible...so I guess its my fault.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  2. #17

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    No you have to put them in a plastic bag and bin them i think ,throwing mouth brooders up the bank don,t cut it.
    Straight from the horses mouth

    "Can I fish for tilapia and what are my
    legal obligations?

    There are no laws prohibiting you from targeting tilapia -
    in fact, Biosecurity Queensland encourages it. However,
    once caught, tilapia must be killed and disposed of by
    either burying above the high-water mark near the place of
    capture or placing in a nearby bin."

  3. #18

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    They probably came from Ewing Maddock dam following overflows.
    The problem with allowing people to fish and eat them is that it givean incentive to spread them to waters nearer to where they live.
    Many many years ago I caught a few in lake samsonvale. Wasn't aware of the regs back then. Took them home and cooked them up. Beautiful white flesh that tasted like a cross between a dirt road and lantana leaves.
    Not long after, came across a bloke with a few live ones in a bucket of water. Asked if he liked the taste and he said yes, but these were going into the adjacent lake kurwongbah to get them in there. Didn't want to travel the extra 10klms to catch them.
    It does happen. But maybe not so much these days.

  4. #19

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    How about cutting the head off and put the mongrel in an incinerator, no fish or fish egg would survive that..

  5. #20
    Ausfish New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Half way betwixt Ipswich and Boonah

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    I had a peek at the canoe launching site at the far Western end of Wyaralong Dam recently - there was a 1,000 litre plastic tank there and it was about two thirds full of Tilapia (stunk like you would not believe sitting out in the summer sun). Some of those fish were twice the size of any fish I have ever caught. I don't understand why we are not allowed to fillet them and then leave the remains in that bin.

    Apparently the way to get them to taste good is to drop them in a bucket of ice slurry the moment they come off the hook. Not 'allowed' to try that so I can't be certain that is factual. The other thing I have read is that our Chinese friends send thousands of tonnes of Tilapia to the U.S. every year and it is very popular due to it being an inexpensive white-flesh fish. The problem I have with this process is that I have very little faith in the way that Tilapia is 'farmed' in Asia for export to the U.S. (and other countries).

    BP

  6. #21
    Ausfish New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Half way betwixt Ipswich and Boonah

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    Saw them only a few weeks ago at a fish market in Inala - but are they imported, or are they being picked up by some of the 'locals'?

    BP
    Last edited by boleropilot; 14-05-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: misteak

  7. #22
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    Quote Originally Posted by boleropilot View Post
    Saw them only a few weeks ago at a fish market in Inala - but are they imported, or are they being picked up by some of the 'locals'?

    BP
    Nah mate..illegal to catch and eat or sell them...

    https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/as...-questions.pdf

    The ones for sale would likely be imported from the mighty Mekong in Vietnam...same place as the Basa comes from..

  8. #23

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    From latest Logan and Albert Stocking assn newsletter.
    SEQ Water recently did a test of the fish in the cage down at the Wyaralong dam wall. In six hours of testing over a couple of days they found:

    3 tonnes of Tilapia – yes you read right 3000 KG
    5-6 native per hour
    4-5 carp per hour

  9. #24

    Re: Tilapia Biocontrol.

    Fish in a cage?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us