Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: The great fridge debate

  1. #31

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Nagg, can you read the fine print on the 12v plug settings? Will your fridge run on 24v?
    Input Power:
    Battery: 9.5 – 31.5Vdc
    Mains: 100 – 240Vac

    Cheers

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #32

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    If you are going to be running on solar for decent periods of time go an Engel every time
    Did you have trouble with my Waeco??

  3. #33

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Input Power:
    Battery: 9.5 – 31.5Vdc
    Mains: 100 – 240Vac

    Cheers

    Chris
    thats great. So if you need to your trolling motor battery will do the job nicely.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  4. #34

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    thats great. So if you need to your trolling motor battery will do the job nicely.
    Good point

    do you run a single 24 volt battery for your leccy ?

    I've thought about that in the past .... but stuck with 2 x 12 volt for ease of handling / charging options

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  5. #35

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Good point

    do you run a single 24 volt battery for your leccy ?

    I've thought about that in the past .... but stuck with 2 x 12 volt for ease of handling / charging options

    Chris
    I ended up going the 55lb 12v and went overboard on the lithium size to run everything except the outboard. But the Dometics can run on 24v too if needed.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  6. #36

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I ended up going the 55lb 12v and went overboard on the lithium size to run everything except the outboard. But the Dometics can run on 24v too if needed.
    Nothing like having that extra capacity - one day you might need it (motor failure)

    The other positive (no pun intended ) is that you'll probably prolong the life of the battery ........ My 200amp AGM has been going for well over a decade - simply because it really never got discharged lower than 50%

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  7. #37

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Ok ive bought a plastic engel eclips and was going to by a cover until i saw an youtube clip that a guy did and the cover restricts the air flow ,so to cover or not to cover just to add to the debate and not spend a heap of money for a cover that might be costing you battery life or help keeping your fridge cooler.

  8. #38

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Ok ive bought a plastic engel eclips and was going to by a cover until i saw an youtube clip that a guy did and the cover restricts the air flow ,so to cover or not to cover just to add to the debate and not spend a heap of money for a cover that might be costing you battery life or help keeping your fridge cooler.
    Good question. I have a cover but don;t use it. Not a problem so far.
    OH, Until I left the cover in my shed for 6 months... seems the local rodents took a liking to it..... destroyed it, now in bin. As well as dead rodents.

    Lp
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  9. #39

    Re: The great fridge debate

    It's interesting - I bought a cover for the new National luna .... now unlike the Waeco & Engel cover which are insulated - its just a ripstop nylon sleeve with a zip ..... the vents are covered by a mesh so no restriction on air flow . These covers I think are just there to protect the fridge from scuffing - I bought it to basically offer some spray protection when on the boat .

    I would have thought that having some sort of cover (particularly if in the sun) would be beneficial - specially on a steel cased fridge like an Engel.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  10. #40

    Re: The great fridge debate

    From what I've seen so far the metal case engel that run as a freezer develops condensation with the cover on were it doesn't with the plastic ones with a cover that might be why the national Luna cover was just a cover not insulated, in a youtube clip this guy said that he could only see a benefit with a cover if you lost power the cover might give you a little long before it warms up and that makes sense to me .

  11. #41

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    From what I've seen so far the metal case engel that run as a freezer develops condensation with the cover on were it doesn't with the plastic ones with a cover that might be why the national Luna cover was just a cover not insulated, in a youtube clip this guy said that he could only see a benefit with a cover if you lost power the cover might give you a little long before it warms up and that makes sense to me .
    I cant ever recall seeing my 80lt Engel with condensation - even right now it's running a -20 without any issues with the cover on - might be different in Summer but it's nothing I've noticed.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  12. #42

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I cant ever recall seeing my 80lt Engel with condensation - even right now it's running a -20 without any issues with the cover on - might be different in Summer but it's nothing I've noticed.

    Chris
    I kept an eye on this, when I first read about it. Never saw condensation inside the cover.

    I did notice that the lid doesn't seal well. At night I could see a bit of light coming out of the fridge. Must put a bead of silicon on to seal it better.

  13. #43

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    From what I've seen so far the metal case engel that run as a freezer develops condensation with the cover on were it doesn't with the plastic ones with a cover that might be why the national Luna cover was just a cover not insulated, in a youtube clip this guy said that he could only see a benefit with a cover if you lost power the cover might give you a little long before it warms up and that makes sense to me .
    I’ve been away and used one of my Engels continually as a freezer (with insulation bag) for a couple of months and never have I had one drop of condensation.


    Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

  14. #44

    Re: The great fridge debate

    I'd always go with a cover if one is available - I'm pretty convinced that there is a benefit of keeping heat / sun directly off the cabinet .
    keeps the scrapes , dings & scuffing down too.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  15. #45
    Ausfish Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: The great fridge debate

    Early Engels were highly deficient in the insulation department, particularly in the lid. Originals' covers were to help with insulation as well as cosmetic protection. You could put your hand between the lid and the cover, and it would be noticeably cold. Later ones are better in that respect, and the cover, IMO, is mostly for cosmetic protection. my MT-V 45 , running as a freezer, doesn't get noticeably cold between cover and lid. And zero condensation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us