Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The great fridge debate

Re: The great fridge debate

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I couldn't fault my CFX40 . ..... The CFX range was a improvement over the older models . As mentioned in the original post - there were certainly a few Waeco / Dometics in for repair & old mate said as much ..........seeing them lined up like that reminded me of my accidental wander through an Evinrude service center & seeing all those ETECs with their power heads off - I went straight to Yamaha.

I'm going to have a good look at the Luna's next week

If I was going to buy a big fridge - i would seriously consider Trailblaza ...... it's just that they are huge for the capacity even in the compact model ..... & I'm sure they would weigh heaps

​Chris
    were the ones lined up the latest models with the variable speed compressors or the Danfoss/Secop? I think they’re only a few years old and available in the CFX3 range.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    were the ones lined up the latest models with the variable speed compressors or the Danfoss/Secop? I think they’re only a few years old and available in the CFX3 range.
    none of the CFX3 ..... but certainly a couple of CFX2s which was the one I had

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well the National Luna fridge arrived this morning & it's certainly an impressive piece of kit - NL 40L.jpg Nicely finished & the stainless steel used will certainly not show marks easily . fitting are stainless steel with glass filled polyamide (Nylon) corners ,handles & hinges - good solid plastic baskets NL interior.jpg

For 40lts it's certainly looks much bigger than an Engel ... confirmed (footprint 0.240 sqm vs 0.227 sqm) - no Waeco / Dometic 40lt these days - but the CFX3 45lt is bigger at 0.276sqm (to be expected)

Good layout in the interior & as you can see from the photo - takes my 10lt jerry can which I freeze for my Esky . Water can NL.jpg

OK what is really impressed me was the turbo boost which took the fridge from ambient 18 deg to Zero in 20 mins - dropping it to -20 deg C took 13 mins (without the boost) ..... power consumption when running is about 3.5 amps ( boost is 5 amps)

It's reasonably quiet ..... a little louder than my old CFX40 but much quieter (without the vibration) of the Engel .

I'm now testing how long it will take to freeze a 1.5lt freezer gel filled bottle which I generally take on camping trips . (6 hours )

Anyhow ... lets see if it proves itself over time - but I plan to run it continuously for the next month on a mixture of 240 & 12 volt (probably let it spend some time in the canopy to get bumped around - once the cover arrives.

Looks to be a good buy
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

The new CFX range of Dometic fridges no longer use the old Danfoss/Secop compressor made in China. They use what I think is the only variable speed compressor in any of the fridges
    . All danfoss/secop BD35/50 compressors have the ability to be multi-speed. Their default setting is 2500rpm, lowest setting. If you look at the wiring diagram, you can add a pot in there to vary the speed up to 4000rpm. Resistances required are specified to get the required speeds. i have been using this on my home-made 130 litre camping freezer runnin g a BD-50, turning up the speed as required.

OK what is really impressed me was the turbo boost which took the fridge from ambient 18 deg to Zero in 20 mins - dropping it to -20 deg C took 13 mins (without the boost) ..... power consumption when running is about 3.5 amps ( boost is 5 amps)
    This is just likely the same thing, just running the compressor faster, this does use a higher current, but overall energy use may be little more due to the shorter running time required.

I am all Engel nowadays for the "bought" fridges--boat fridge and camping freezer are home made--My CF 80 Waeco started getting unreliable after 10 years, intermittent fault kept cropping up, no good on a long trip away. The 60 litre MT-V Engel was actually best value for me at the time (mid last year), and fitted the space in the camper the most efficiently. I also then bought an MT-V 45 to live in the rear of the space cab . Impressed with both of them, but as someone else said, having the cool plate mounted off the wall makes it very hard to clean. But, this also gives you the ability to replace them if they leak--those, such as Waeco with the sealed-in cold plates are a throwaway if it leaks refrigerant, unrepairable.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    . All danfoss/secop BD35/50 compressors have the ability to be multi-speed. Their default setting is 2500rpm, lowest setting. If you look at the wiring diagram, you can add a pot in there to vary the speed up to 4000rpm. Resistances required are specified to get the required speeds. i have been using this on my home-made 130 litre camping freezer runnin g a BD-50, turning up the speed as required.

[/COLOR] This is just likely the same thing, just running the compressor faster, this does use a higher current, but overall energy use may be little more due to the shorter running time required.

I am all Engel nowadays for the "bought" fridges--boat fridge and camping freezer are home made--My CF 80 Waeco started getting unreliable after 10 years, intermittent fault kept cropping up, no good on a long trip away. The 60 litre MT-V Engel was actually best value for me at the time (mid last year), and fitted the space in the camper the most efficiently. I also then bought an MT-V 45 to live in the rear of the space cab . Impressed with both of them, but as someone else said, having the cool plate mounted off the wall makes it very hard to clean. But, this also gives you the ability to replace them if they leak--those, such as Waeco with the sealed-in cold plates are a throwaway if it leaks refrigerant, unrepairable.
    As mentioned previously - cant really fault my Engel & to be honest I dont know of too many (if any) who do ..... With such a long reliable history they should be right up the top of any list . Mine will be 15 yo this year & it's been running 24/7 for the last 5 years .... so no arguments there.
    That said there are alternatives which are less known but also have strong reputations & some advantages ..... Stainless steel cabinets for instance / better seals / thicker insulation.
    It will be interesting to see how the National Luna handles high ambient temperatures as these things are meant to hold -20 @ 40 deg C ...... I know my Engel struggles a bit with high temps & you want to freeze stuff.
    The other thing is that this NL- can go down to -30 - I'll need to grab a temp gauge & see if it really is -30 (It's bloody cold that's for sure)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post

[/COLOR] This is just likely the same thing, just running the compressor faster, this does use a higher current, but overall energy use may be little more due to the shorter running time required.

Do the Danfoss compressors require the user to vary the speeds of the compressor or does the compressor/fridge determine its own speed needs?

Ausfish Platinum Member

If they don't have the function automated, which most don't, it can be managed by the user manually, or there is an automation after-market device available . There is a good guide from Danfoss here https://assets.danfoss.com/documents...7en-000601.pdf look under the heading of Thermostat and it is explained. I was out with the figures I quoted earlier are out--the standard fixed speed is 2000rpm, you can run them up to 3500 rpm. There is a very good short video here on youtube re speed control on these.

If you have any interest at all in knowing how these things work, watch the excellent series of short videos by CoastalClimate on Youtube. Their channel is here https://www.youtube.com/user/CoastalClimate/videos look for the Tech Tip videos. All short, informative and to the point.

edit--Did I cover this before? Can't remember? anyway, forgot to add, my speed control device is probably simpler than the manual one shown above, just a potentiometer of the right range from Altronics, wired in series with the thermostat and appropriate terminals. And shows up as a knob with some marking on the outer case. hard anti-clockwise, standard 2000rpm, hard clockwise 3500 rpm, with the other two steps marked between. Adter advice from a marine fridgie versed in these things, I don't run it hard out, as he says the evaporator is likely undersized, a fault of those dometic package deals. But running it harder can make a yuge difference to run times.One evening, as it cooled down a bit ( ambient around 23 deg) @ 2000 rpm it took 20 minutes to drop the 2 degrees to thermostat cut-out. Running @ 2500 rpm, it took 6 minutes. So energy use is actually less, the slightly higher run current more than offset by the much shorter run time.

Has anyone been able to find the weights of Trailblaza fridges ? - I've only ever been able to find the dimensions

I know they are bulky ( the ones that I've seen) - just not sure of the weights

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Great post and comments guys.

I am afraid you all got a tad technical for me....

I just want a fridge that works...... anyhoo.
    7 years ago I bought an old Evacool off a mate including slide for SFA. I worked OK, but reading temp lights was a pain. Then it started freezing stuff and then not, all by itself.

I then bought a Kings on the strength of advice that was simple.... if it works for a month, it'll keep working, if not it'll be a simple fix. Fingers crossed I've had it a long time, taken it to Cape York and lived in the back of the Colorado, It came with remote temp readout thingie, but to be honest, I never used it. I like the reversible lid, easy settings and light inside. It did exactly what I wanted it to do. 65ltr job. Draws bugger all power.....

I took the old Evacool to a repair shop ( caravan shop ) down my way and $200 later all fixed, but the part required took weeks to find in Australia and basically does not exist anymore. Yes, it is an old model

So I now have 2 fridges ( each can freeze ) and happy with both, because the budget is intact.

I think if we can buy an Australian made product, we should. Evacool do have a good rep for service.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Platinum Member

I've always had Engel fridges for all our outback and remote travelling, when setting up our current ute back camper, wanted a drawer fridge... so, didn't look to far, went straight to the Engel option. Only 30 odd litres, but exactly what we wanted.
    We built the area of the camper around it with the batteries and air con, all knowing how reliable every other Engel I've had has been. Well, nearly exactly 2 weeks after the warranty run out, it failed (it actually failed within the warranty period but we weren't anywhere where we could remove it).
    I figured no worries, I'll just pay to get it fixed. Took it to an Engel repairer, and it turns out, it's a compressor issue, and Engel don't do the spares for them. All they can suggest is we buy another one. For the $900 these things cost for a 30 litre fridge, and having the first one not last, that's definitely not happening. So now I'm off to find another drawer fridge (even contemplating an upright) that will fit in the same space that was built for the Engel.
    My other 3 fridges have run faultlessly, with one of them being permanently in an open boat, so disappointing that Engel can't repair some of their models.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Has anyone been able to find the weights of Trailblaza fridges ? - I've only ever been able to find the dimensions

I know they are bulky ( the ones that I've seen) - just not sure of the weights

Chris
    Found a Choice review that had the weight of the 50 litre at 35kg. Sounds about right going by the father in law's unit. They are the sort of thing you can lift on your own but it's a much more comfortable proposition as a two person lift.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Found a Choice review that had the weight of the 50 litre at 35kg. Sounds about right going by the father in law's unit. They are the sort of thing you can lift on your own but it's a much more comfortable proposition as a two person lift.
    that doesn't surprise me ..... I remember seeing a bloke call over his mate to lift one out of the back of his ute (it stuck in my mind) . Now I hate lifting my 80lt Engel (42kgs) its awkward as much as heavy - but even with 2 blokes it s a total pain lifting it in & out of a boat when landing at a beach ..... .hence why I went to a 40lt Waeco previously.

35kgs for a 50lt is just too heavy & why I didn't go looking at Trailblaza fridges ..... 25kgs was was it - the lighter the better

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    I've always had Engel fridges for all our outback and remote travelling, when setting up our current ute back camper, wanted a drawer fridge... so, didn't look to far, went straight to the Engel option. Only 30 odd litres, but exactly what we wanted.
    We built the area of the camper around it with the batteries and air con, all knowing how reliable every other Engel I've had has been. Well, nearly exactly 2 weeks after the warranty run out, it failed (it actually failed within the warranty period but we weren't anywhere where we could remove it).
    I figured no worries, I'll just pay to get it fixed. Took it to an Engel repairer, and it turns out, it's a compressor issue, and Engel don't do the spares for them. All they can suggest is we buy another one. For the $900 these things cost for a 30 litre fridge, and having the first one not last, that's definitely not happening. So now I'm off to find another drawer fridge (even contemplating an upright) that will fit in the same space that was built for the Engel.
    My other 3 fridges have run faultlessly, with one of them being permanently in an open boat, so disappointing that Engel can't repair some of their models.
    Cory, what state do you live. If Sydney (NSW), there is an Engel repair bloke out Blacktown way, he is very good and has been known to keep many spare parts from fridges, and has repaired fridges that other people have said ‘no way, need to be replaced’. I’m sure he is still there. If interested let me know and I’ll get the details for you

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    It doesn't surprise me - old mate pretty well said that to me ..... when Engels let go , it's often a case of buy a new one because the cost of the spares is so high -
    you can't replace individual components .... or something like that .

That Engel fridge drawer wouldn't be that old though - would it ? .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg, can you read the fine print on the 12v plug settings? Will your fridge run on 24v?