Thread: Whitsundays Christmas 2021

Whitsundays Christmas 2021

Well - I've just booked my camp sites up at the Whitsundays for my Christmas break

i left my bookings pretty late but still managed to book a couple of sites - unfortunately I couldn't book a full 9 nights at my preferred site - Nari's beach (Whitsunday Is - so we have to move for the last 4 nights to Curlew beach (Hook Island) ...... I've never stayed at Curlew & it is certainly more exposed to those Soueasters but from what I can see the boat will be anchored over sand & sit on sand on the falling tide .

It's funny - once I made the booking I got excited about doing this trip ...... My young bloke & I did it in 2018 (Christmas - camping at Nari's Beach) - Unfortunately it blew it's freckle off with pretty well 15knots plus every day ...... that limited us the hugging the islands but still getting smashed a few times when we ventured into more open waters - the trip ended being more about snorkeling around Butterfly bay & blue pearl......... so hopefully this year we will see less wind (fingers crossed).

The biggest thing - I reckon I'm owed when it comes to fishing. In 10 days , I never managed to land a legal fish .... sure had hooked spanish mackerel leaping over the bow & getting off & some unstoppable s up the top of Hayman ..... but nah any trout or red throat landed were just under sized .

So when it comes to fishing the Whitsundays - any tips , advice or more importantly locations would be appreciated

Additionally if there are other boaters who want to come along - we head out on the 27th Dec & return 5th January . PM me if interested

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Whitsundays Christmas 2021

We might be able to see you around the traps Chris. We live at Seaforth, so have spend some time fishing the Lindeman and 'Smiths' groups, with a little bit of success

Weather plays a huge part, and unfortunately, the Chrissy period isn't always nice to us. We jump between Seaforth and Cairns, so not sure where we'll be this Chrissy, but if we're around, might try and catch up.
    Cheers
    Corry

Re: Whitsundays Christmas 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    We might be able to see you around the traps Chris. We live at Seaforth, so have spend some time fishing the Lindeman and 'Smiths' groups, with a little bit of success

Weather plays a huge part, and unfortunately, the Chrissy period isn't always nice to us. We jump between Seaforth and Cairns, so not sure where we'll be this Chrissy, but if we're around, might try and catch up.
    Well , we are locked & loaded ...... 27th Dec- 5th Jan

Always nice to catch up with a fellow Ausfisher

I' ve actually been doing a little research for later next year ....... now I know you cant rely on past data but I found a nice little sweet spot - 18th-27th Aug .... so I reckon this trip will be on the cards for 2022
    2/3rds of the days over a 9 year period were fishable (<15knots) & nearly 25% were days that were light & variable

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO