Thread: 12 volt v 24volt camping fridge

12 volt v 24volt camping fridge

Ok is it any better running your dc fridge freezer on 24v instead of 12v does anyone do it??????.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: 12 volt v 24volt camping fridge

They will pull a lower current on 24v, but you need to supply the higher voltage, so it's a wash really. I've heard a lot of comments about car fridges running better in 240v than 12v , people saying things along the lines of " they must run faster or have some special setting, or sumfin..." Personally, I think it is due to the nature of old-style 12v supplies. If you have a 240v power source, it is outputting constant power and voltage. With an old-style deep cycle of lead acid/AGM/whatever, the moment you plug in a load it is all downhill from there, unless you have brand new batteries and a very large a/h capacity. The voltage starts to fall away quite quickly and the compressor will slow, hence not run as efficiently. This is far less of a problem with lithium deep cycles--they hold their voltage (nominally 13.4 v) for a long time then fall off a cliff. A very flat voltage curve on discharge.So you are running the fridge on good voltage for most of the discharge cycle. I also notice it with the camp LED lighting--LEDs start to dim as 12v drops--if you don't believe me, fire up the genny and put that battery on a charger, see them brighten. With lithiums, the lights stay full brightness until you are nearly discharged.