Thread: Reupholstered vs New Seats

Free Membership

Reupholstered vs New Seats

Hi folks, just looking at options for for the helm/passenger seats of my 1998 540F. The original cushions are getting pretty tired and due for replacement...

One option is obviously to replace with new, and I do like the idea of a bucket style seat with a flip up bolster - I generally drive standing up, so having the flip up bolster would give me some more space to move and something to lean against. The measurements are all over the place for them though, the current seats are 500 mm wide and pretty snug (cockpit is only 1450 mm wide there). The only seat of this style I've measured so far was actually 630 mm, so likely wouldn't fit full stop, let alone swivel... Anyone with a similar seat able to provide some measurements?

Springfield Quintrex Style Maritime Seat, $429.00 | Whitworths Marine

The other option is to have the existing seats reupholstered, which appeals because it would keep the boat looking original and could be more cost effective. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone Brisbane northside, and indicative pricing for 2 x seats?

Thanks

Re: Reupholstered vs New Seats

Hi Mike I have those seats in your link..

The bolster part is great for when you want to drive whilst standing but I think I would prefer a seat with armrests ..during long trips now I rest my right arm on top of throttle control box and my left arm just hangs..it feels a bit uncomfortable.

Have you thought getting rid of the swivels and fitting reversible seats instead? I picked up a pair of these - yet to use them on the water but they seem to be well made and are seriously comfortable.

Might be a bit wide for your boat at 570W ... would only leave 300mm between seats. Depends on how you prioritise ease of access vs comfort. My cockpit's only 1490W so not much wider.

181242__29890.1528605015.jpgyISUYr1.jpg

From my experience with marine upholsters new seats are probably more cost effective - they charge a fortune.

As mentioned, it will probably be cheaper to buy new seats, but......the original seats fit the space, and unless you really want something different and are prepared to "adapt" new seats, getting your old ones done kind of makes sense.

Free Membership

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll just have to try and get a few quotes for the reupholstered option and see where that leaves me. If that looks considerably more expensive than the new seat option, I'll do my research and find something that will fit as well as possible. Pretty sure the swivel concern will be okay with the seats mounted on sliders, so it'll just be a question of finding something with an okay total width, flip up bolster and a sensible colour.