Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod for XOS spanish on baits

Re: Rod for XOS spanish on baits

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Sure they were Spanish? They usually have a couple of good runs and they are done, wahoo are a different story
    Pretty confident they all were. Got one in the boat. Only ran at Spanish speed. Never got a wahoo but I've heard you know when you do.

You may not need to buy new gear CT..

By the looks of this scary document Fisheries may close or severely limit the bag limits for Spanish....

The working group are saying numbers are below the limit needed to close the fishery and asking whether changes can be made before the 1st of July...

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...NJkD1TiOPMyrjo

Bizzare document out of the blue like that..personally 20 years of fishing for Spanish up here in FNQ I wouldnt say that I have noticed numbers have dropped off..

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Also some options from the Ugly Stick range I've got a USG-BWS702H 2 piece. It's only 10-20 kg rated but it has some grunt down low.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    I also have one of those and you would be hard pressed to break that Ugly Stik. I actually removed the guides on mine and rebound it into an overhead rod.
    I've got a lighter ugly stick that I've run floaters off for years but it's got no grunt in it. Spooled with mono you never get busted off or have a hook get shaken but you can't put any hurt on anything either!

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Have an old Silstar 7,something Rod i built in mt previouse life coupled with an Abu 10000 loaded with 30lb mono and when i had my reef Boat the XOS Mackeral i pulled up with that Rod flicking Pillies was another thing!! , never thought Mackeral fought that hard really and caught some huge fish too..
    Yep, had the old Silstar Crystal Power Tip in action last trip!

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    I saw you mentioned venom rods
    did you discount them just because of price ?
    I have a venom swim bait rod on the way, awesome rod
    kiwi blanks rolled in Aus
    Yep, just a tightass! I bought a Venom Stickbait rod last year and it's really nice but not cheap!!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    You may not need to buy new gear CT..

By the looks of this scary document Fisheries may close or severely limit the bag limits for Spanish....

The working group are saying numbers are below the limit needed to close the fishery and asking whether changes can be made before the 1st of July...

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...NJkD1TiOPMyrjo

Bizzare document out of the blue like that..personally 20 years of fishing for Spanish up here in FNQ I wouldnt say that I have noticed numbers have dropped off..
    Saw that tonight and thought exactly the same thing!!

I've found a Gary Howard G Force 7ft 24 kg spin that seems about the right price. Decisions, decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Yep, just a tightass! I bought a Venom Stickbait rod last year and it's really nice but not cheap!!
    Spending wisely isn’t being a tight arse
    did I say I bought 8 Miller rods this year and a couple of venoms plus all new reels
    these will do me till I die and gave the son all my older loomis and daiwai rods and reels

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I've found a Gary Howard G Force 7ft 24 kg spin that seems about the right price. Decisions, decisions!
    what did you decide on ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    what did you decide on ?

I ended up buying my wife an off the shelf "custom" Live Fibre. Standard Live Fibre blank, but better Venom style components. Local tackle shop gets them made. 6'6", 20-50 lb overhead. Reel is a Fin Nor Marquesa 16. Will still have to get something else to run floaters when we fish as a family but will do the job nicely when I head out with mates.

Ok nice
    my new venom heavy swimbait rod arrived. Big stick for freshwater