Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Useless fishing related items you have bought

Re: Useless fishing related items you have bought

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Phill/Chris,

I use the HPA ceramic scissors from PE 8 (112lb) Varivas down to 4lb Unitika braid. Cuts clean. Not cheap but in the 4 years they are still going strong.
    Close to $50
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've only ever used a sharp filleting knife for cutting braid...I'm hard on gear, so scissors are just one more thing to ruin or lose..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I've only ever used a sharp filleting knife for cutting braid...I'm hard on gear, so scissors are just one more thing to ruin or lose..
    I hear you loud and clear. Anything worth more than $10 on my bait table ends up in the deep and rarely by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I hear you loud and clear. Anything worth more than $10 on my bait table ends up in the deep and rarely by me.
    Yes Sam its a lesson hard learnt..

Best not to have quality stuff laying around in the heat of battle...

I even just use orange handled ballard filleting knives on the boat as they are cheap as chips at the local farm shops because they are used locally in the banana sheds..

I do always carry a good quality pair of sidecutters for any potential hook or treble removal from humans but they stay in the toolbox in the cab unless needed..

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Close to $50
    Yep Chris, or as I like to justify it as $12.50 a year so far…😂
    Matilda

Yep Chris, or as I like to justify it as $12.50 a year so far…😂
    So far my $7 scissors are hoing strong, so far $2 a year, getting cheaper all the time. I did buy about 6 pairs after the first couple of months use as these items often disappear off the shelves. Given away a few but still got a few left, 1st pair still going strong.

Yep Chris, or as I like to justify it as $12.50 a year so far…
    Shit - I couldn't imagine having a pair of scissors for 2 years ..... let alone 4

Rust is always going to be a problem - but if you wash them down daily ..... cheaper scissors can last

the real bain of scissors is to only use them for cutting braid - once you start cutting leader the down hill slide starts . ..... the other bain of scissors are deckies

I did try a pair of Berkley braid clippers ........ total waste of space & money ....... unless you want to do your nails

My scissors generally cost me around $7-$10 ...... 1 pair a year vs hoping that a $50 pair lasts 5 to 7 years ..... I cant see that happening

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

These ceramic ones don't rust, apparently.

$40... if you can find them in stock anywhere in Australia.( ULKAT ones anyway )

A knife sheath zippy tied to the canopy support and scissors attached via a small diameter cord to a secure point, should solve the problem of deckies and overboard issues.

Might put in an order for fathers day..... better start dropping hints now

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

$40... if you can find them in stock anywhere in Australia.( ULKAT ones anyway )

A knife sheath zippy tied to the canopy support and scissors attached via a small diameter cord to a secure point, should solve the problem of deckies and overboard issues.

LP
    Understand the ceramics dont rust ....... a mate had a pair & loved them till he dropped them over the side of the boat .
    My rust comment was directed towards traditional scissors ..... but as mentioned if you don't cut leader & you wash them down religiously you can get a couple of years out of them .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've got a pair of XXX (triple X) braid/wire cutters. Had them for a good while - 6 or 7 years I guess - long enough for the stainless spring to hold them open to rust out but the blades are still great . They get used for braid, leader and at times wire, bleeding fish, etc. Only given a quick wash at the end of the day and a squirt of WD periodically. Broken spring is a pain but very much still usable

LP
    Ebb tide tackle have them ...... The Ulkut - picked up a pair for $35.20 along with some other stuff.

Now to install the wire rope to secure them to the cutting board

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Ebb tide tackle have them ...... The Ulkut - picked up a pair for $35.20 along with some other stuff.

Now to install the wire rope to secure them to the cutting board

Chris
    Yep, tried them. When I try to order, a menu box comes and says " we do not have enough stock for the amount you want to order "... I was trying to order 1. ?

LP

Yep, tried them. When I try to order, a menu box comes and says " we do not have enough stock for the amount you want to order "... I was trying to order 1. ?

LP
    Maybe I got the last pair ......
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

5/0 and 6/0 Circle hooks off eBay that were thinner than the braid I was using
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    5/0 and 6/0 Circle hooks off eBay that were thinner than the braid I was using
    OK, ya jogged my memory.

I use VMC hooks pretty much exclusively due to many reasons.

Once, I could not access some 6X trebles, but found them online... Chinese made, stated exact copies, blah blah blah.

Arrived. The photo they used to advertise them, must have been genuine VMC, because these pieces of ###t were exactly that.. ###T. I could not use them. Rounded points, appeared to be steel and gal dipped and some eyes were even closed. FFS!

I had a mantra of never NEVER EVER buying Chinese made fishing accessories, line, reels, tackle...... and that still holds true.

America, Taiwan ( PE Tackle stuff ) , German and Japanese, as well as Australian products stack up well. I also made my own rods and some lures.

I was recently next to a fisher whose rod I was using and he said " do not high stick it, it 'll snap "...... my reply was short. " I never high stick a rod and if you're scared it'll snap, buy decent stuff ".

LP