Thread: Young boatie missing

Young boatie missing

In the news the past couple of days is the story of this young fella's boat being found running in circles off Mud Island in Moreton bay in calm conditions with extensive searching not having yet found any signs of him...

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...cid=uxbndlbing

Seems to have been a relatively new boat for him and here is a post from a couple of months ago from the Tinny mod FB forum...seems he was concerned about the balance of the boat and the lean whilst underway...

missing boatie.jpg

For a number of years when I was younger I spent many nights up to 80 km's offshore by myself never wearing a lifejacket or safety lanyard but member Steve was just discussing the other day how he always wore a inflatable life jacket with PLB attached whilst offshore...

It made me think that along with regular boat and engine maintainance it might be also be a little selfish to not also take the best safety precautions possible so,if need be, rescuers and family can also find you or at least your body in case of such an unforeseeable event...I cant even imagine what it must be like for the family to have to go through such a thing...

Dont now how this young fella went overboard or whether a jacket and PLB may have helped in this situation but I cant help but think that maybe it should be a requirement to wear one with a semi-automatic or water activated PLB when boating by yourself in the ocean...it may also prevent you from drowning if you have have hit your head on the way overboard and lost consciousness..

Any thoughts...?

Re: Young boatie missing

Having fished this area extensively it’s sad to see him go missing ,apparently he was chasing tuna out the front of the port and as usual you have to chase them down as they go down then pop up somewhere else . In my bluefin it had a casting deck and a number of times while chasing you tend to throttle of and race up the front and start casting ,with the fin the casting deck was knee height to the gunnel and that stopped me going overboard a couple of times but with this boat their didn’t appear to be much to stop you going overboard especially if you’d accidentally left it in gear . Hopefully he’s found in one piece but falling overboard and hitting your head or some other thing especially by yourself without a lanyard attachment is going to catch you out one day and having said that the only time I attached my lanyard was when I was off shore by myself . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Young boatie missing

Quite a few years ago I was solo fishing around Hutchinson Shoal off cape Moreton for the usual early season wahoo run. Got a couple and was leaning over the side to wash my hands while still doing 6 or so knots after disposing of one on deck but hadn’t washed the slime and blood off. Bit of chop and swell saw me slip and all but go over the side so from that experience I looked at different ways to work a lanyard system to shut the engine off but still practical for doing all the stuff you want to do while trolling. Started off with the US made Autotether system which was okay but found the Fell Marine MOB system and have been running that in my last 2 boats. Guys - if you fish solo you should invest in this technology and as mentioned - wear a life jacket. Just a simple wristband, or lanyard you wear and engine cuts as soon as you are in the water. Getting older now so a realistic way of getting back in the boat is a must

.Attachment 123714