Thread: Speedi Sleeve On Oil Fills

Speedi Sleeve On Oil Fills

Evening all, just a quick question. I run oiler (oil bath) style hub setup with typical double lip steel backed oil seal (dura's on the front). Been getting a bit of water in them over time (which i never did before) so thinking i might tighten up the oil seal a bit via fitting speedi sleeves to the stubs.

Has anyone done this fix with sleeves for a good result on oil fill style setup? I resealed all the front (LT515) but still getting a bit of water in so figure it must be coming through the back.

Scott

Re: Speedi Sleeve On Oil Fills

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Evening all, just a quick question. I run oiler (oil bath) style hub setup with typical double lip steel backed oil seal (dura's on the front). Been getting a bit of water in them over time (which i never did before) so thinking i might tighten up the oil seal a bit via fitting speedi sleeves to the stubs.

Has anyone done this fix with sleeves for a good result on oil fill style setup? I resealed all the front (LT515) but still getting a bit of water in so figure it must be coming through the back.

Scott
    Hi Scott,

I ran the durahubs on both a single axle and a dual axle trailer. Both times I ran speedy sleeves just because I was being anal and wanted that nice smooth surface for them to run on. About 10 years of experience with them now.

For the single axle, the only time I ever had water get in was after I had the trailer sitting for nearly 10 months without using it. By the time I launched the inner seal had let out a bit of oil but I didn't notice until after the launch and got a bit of milky in it

For the dual axle I had a couple of minor problems. One was kind of self made. I had tightened the nut up after replacing the inner seals as a regular service type of thing and while it felt as tight as I wanted to go at the time, by the time I got home after the first trip where I got milk in one, I noticed it could have been a couple of notches tighter. The other one was when turning into the ramp as I back down sometimes one of the dual axles still has a bit of torque on the right rear or front left wheel. You can sometimes tell the torque is on the wheels if you see a bit of distortion in the side walls. I fixed that by getting the trailer nearly in the water then driving forward in a straight line then backing down straight and that seems to have fixed it.

FYI I got the plastic coated double lipped seals from my local bearing place. They are a little thinner than the metal ones but IMO do just as good a job as the mental ones and they don't rust.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

OK, thanks Lovey, good info, i'll pull a hub of on the weekend and see what the stubs are like and try and work out whats going on. Stubs are near new so cant see that they would have any grooving in them yet. If they look ok i might even shorten the spring in the seal and tighten the show up that way, i can see though how those sleeves would be better running surface for the seal than the raw stub though.

Thanks.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    OK, thanks Lovey, good info, i'll pull a hub of on the weekend and see what the stubs are like and try and work out whats going on. Stubs are near new so cant see that they would have any grooving in them yet. If they look ok i might even shorten the spring in the seal and tighten the show up that way, i can see though how those sleeves would be better running surface for the seal than the raw stub though.

Thanks.

Scott
    if you do decide on a speedy sleeve get some emery paper and just knock those little machine ridges off the stub axle. Makes it a lot easier to get them on. I won’t go back to the old system I’m so happy with the durahub. Last time I did them on the single axle which are the larger cruiser sized bearings packed the bearings with grease then did everything the same with oil. The result was a green combination of the two lubricants once it warmed up. Think I’ll stick with that combo.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.