Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Re: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Reels, yeah....tho if you wait until the mid to high end end ones are on special at you know where, they can be good value. They don't seem to be made to be pulled down and maintained any more.
    I did impulse buy a chrome ABU rocket a few years back... because it was shiney....and I love ABUs. Still cheap for made in Sweden however I thought.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I dont recommend buying the cheapest gear, but at times it has its place.

4 years ago i bought my son a $10 kmart combo, we still have it and have caught some decent fish on it.
    Also another $50 kmart combo thats quite reasonable.

Knock about rods, for mates on the boat etc, its not such a bit deal if they get damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Reels, yeah....tho if you wait until the mid to high end end ones are on special at you know where, they can be good value. They don't seem to be made to be pulled down and maintained any more.
    I did impulse buy a chrome ABU rocket a few years back... because it was shiney....and I love ABUs. Still cheap for made in Sweden however I thought.

Not sure ABU has been made in Sweden for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not sure ABU has been made in Sweden for years.
    Some product lines are still made in sweden.

i was collecting small abus 1500 1600 2500 2600s.
    the pricing went nuts so i sold a lot of them, just keeping the best one of each size to store away.

the difference between low range and high end stuff is noticeable when casting and retrieving for 6-9 hours per day

Well the side case at least is definitely made in Sweden... It says so... wouldn't lie to me....

I totaly agree! I'm buying good quality hooks on gumtree and making my own jigs. It ends up being cheaper in the long run because once the line gets old i cut off the hooks and tie them onto a new rig. Let me know if you want to have a go at it and i'll show you what i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    $20 for a rod and reel for chasing bread and butter fish is really a good deal. The problem is when the reel stuffs up you put it in the corner and they just keep breeding. I have found that lately I've been buying better quality hardware and keeping to a few hook sizes as standard. Buying stuff on impulse has led to a growth of tackle that just sits there. I've gotten quite ruthless and have been dumping cheap hooks, swivels etc. Surprising the number of straightened hooks from KMart etc, so gone. Even bait jigs these days are getting to the stage where I'll have to reconsider making my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Running amuck View Post
    I totaly agree! I'm buying good quality hooks on gumtree and making my own jigs. It ends up being cheaper in the long run because once the line gets old i cut off the hooks and tie them onto a new rig. Let me know if you want to have a go at it and i'll show you what i do.
    What are the decent hooks you are getting, mate.?

I also make or buy cheapy jigs and swap out the split ring and hook/trebles for VMC's usually......

can get a bit expensive when the mackeral schools get a bit nippy or the sharks are thick...

Thanks Runamuck, I used to make my own but gave up when I ran out of the hooks I had and haven't put too much effort into replacing them. Which style of hooks are you using.

I make my own jigs, buy the jig hooks by the thousand packs from overseas.
    I also search out decent pricing on circle hooks and buy them in packs of 50 to 100.....
    Also getting a good run out of titanium hooks from DHGate online.....very cheap and very strong and sharp.
    Soft vibes I buy from DHGate or Alibaba as naked lures....very very cheap and they work well.

Now if i could just find single lure hooks in bulk packs I would be happy.

Currently getting a batch of soft plastic prawns made in Taiwan.....dirt cheap.
    Jack.

I like the BKK and Shogun hooks for value.
    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    What are the decent hooks you are getting, mate.?

I also make or buy cheapy jigs and swap out the split ring and hook/trebles for VMC's usually......

can get a bit expensive when the mackeral schools get a bit nippy or the sharks are thick...

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Thanks Runamuck, I used to make my own but gave up when I ran out of the hooks I had and haven't put too much effort into replacing them. Which style of hooks are you using.
    I use octopus style hooks for my Snapper Flashers as i find them the most versitile. For the bait jigs i use Wasabi hooks because they have a big eye that will take heavier line

thanks Jack. Do DHGate sell chemically sharpened octopus hooks?

Bought some tackle the other day small pack of hooks were less than $5 than the price jumped to $22 a pack, hardly no fishing lines instock basic javiswalker at $12 price jumped to $25 for a couple spools ofline than it hicked to $40 a roll

Had to shuffle together all cheap shit $3 hooks, $8 sinkers, $3 swivels, couldnt even find any leader material the line, hooks, isles were bare as plenty of missing stock and alot of the stock had alarmed tags i dont like asking staff to unlock stock

They had tons of camping gear but they didnt even have regular box dolphin torches

My local tackle store has got plenty of stock, and no inflated prices, lots of those small quantity hook packets, tons of cheap spools of line if that's your thing, don't know why Kmart would be out or put prices up, but then, I don't go there to buy gear either.