Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Do you ever go looking for cheap fishing tackle. I have. Sometimes I have done it because the small town I am staying in, has no real fishing tackle stores. Other times, it's because I wonder if I am overpaying at the "regular" stores we all know.

Examples.

Are Jarvis Walker and other brands, hooks, swivels and sinkers, bought cheap at Kmart, OK for typical estuary fishing?

What about when you want a cheap rod. I often wait for BCF to have a special, but I was in Kmart this morning, and I could not believe how reasonable the quality looked on this - at $20 a combo with a reel. Nah can't be any good - can it? Maybe worth it just for the rod - the cheap reel can be an emergency backup.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/jar...6.6ft./1828303

Re: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

I lose quite a few surface lures throwing them into very tight spots in freshwater rivers. Found the K Mart cheapies don’t hurt the pocket too much. Hate to do it with Rapallas or Jackalls.

Kmart use to have a reasonable range of gear They also use to carry brand name everything
    now it’s very much just stock something that will last a few weeks

as gunna said cheap vibes poppers are ok. Hooks sinkers for bait fishing no dramas

anything else isn’t up to regular use

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    I lose quite a few surface lures throwing them into very tight spots in freshwater rivers. Found the K Mart cheapies don’t hurt the pocket too much. Hate to do it with Rapallas or Jackalls.
    Very much so. Things that get lost can cost. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Kmart use to have a reasonable range of gear They also use to carry brand name everything
    now it’s very much just stock something that will last a few weeks

as gunna said cheap vibes poppers are ok. Hooks sinkers for bait fishing no dramas

anything else isn’t up to regular use

I have had no troubles with hooks/sinkers/swivels. Hmm. OK, I think I will go buy the $20 combo and see if it lasts more then a few weeks

Hey Mate
    About six months ago, after losing about 200.00 dollars on Jackyll lures in one day, I started looking for cheaper alternatives.
    Found this product .
    Very happy with the performance of these lures.
    https://www.#################.com.au...xen-vibe-lure/
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Hey Mate
    About six months ago, after losing about 200.00 dollars on Jackyll lures in one day, I started looking for cheaper alternatives.
    Found this product .
    Very happy with the performance of these lures.
    https://www.#################.com.au...xen-vibe-lure/
    Shawn
    Oh shit,
    Looks like I have stuffed up quoting the above website.
    My apologies if that is the case.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Oh shit,
    Looks like I have stuffed up quoting the above website.
    My apologies if that is the case.
    Shawn
    I am interested to know more. PM me if you can please mate.

PM sent mate

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my humble opinion, buy the best quality you can afford.
    Matilda

$20 for a rod and reel for chasing bread and butter fish is really a good deal. The problem is when the reel stuffs up you put it in the corner and they just keep breeding. I have found that lately I've been buying better quality hardware and keeping to a few hook sizes as standard. Buying stuff on impulse has led to a growth of tackle that just sits there. I've gotten quite ruthless and have been dumping cheap hooks, swivels etc. Surprising the number of straightened hooks from KMart etc, so gone. Even bait jigs these days are getting to the stage where I'll have to reconsider making my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    $20 for a rod and reel for chasing bread and butter fish is really a good deal. The problem is when the reel stuffs up you put it in the corner and they just keep breeding. I have found that lately I've been buying better quality hardware and keeping to a few hook sizes as standard. Buying stuff on impulse has led to a growth of tackle that just sits there. I've gotten quite ruthless and have been dumping cheap hooks, swivels etc. Surprising the number of straightened hooks from KMart etc, so gone. Even bait jigs these days are getting to the stage where I'll have to reconsider making my own.

Completely agree about sizes etc. For example, I use 3 different size hooks and two swivel sizes. Sinkers need a bit more variety due to varying currents as I fish a lot of different places. Won't ever again touch bulk no-brand hooks from eBay. The ones I got in a white box just snap in half. Made from some rubbish metal. However, I have found smaller tackle stores with better prices, and bulk packs, not matched by the better known stores.

Also, I am not talking about impulse buys. Just, when you want a particular thing, like a replacement for the rod you broke by being too rough on it, or, as in the example above, lures than don't break the bank when you lose them, are mainstream tackle stores always the answer. My theory about places like BCF, is that they have great specials, but rip you off the rest of the time with their "normal" prices.

Kind of agree with the above, I use very few different hooks, no need for a thousand secret hooks. Now on the subject of "cheap" gear, look at it logically, the hook, swivel and line is all that connects you to a fish, small Whiting and so on will probably be OK, but in the end, what's the difference in price of a decent hook, or a cheap department store bulk bag, maybe 3-5cents? Same for a swivel, 10 cents maybe, I am not suggesting all forms of fishing requires some kind of multi dollar thermo nuclear triple black hook, but...that one time! For beach fishing I just buy cheaper long shank Mustad hooks, they work a treat, and when used and stored, are usually good for another trip, the cheap hooks are just a rusted blob on the end if your line, which is the next subject, cheap department store line is stiff and thick by comparison to better quality line, plus it goes "rough" really quick, for everyday type fishing (say Snapper and Bream) I tend to buy a brand name, not a million dollar brand, just a brand I like, it lasts a lot longer and in the end, works out cheaper (in my opinion) rods and reels are the same, buy better quality, have them for decades, or buy cheap and end up with a seized, corroded heap of junk in no time. Life's are kind of interesting, lots of cheap ones work well (the fish don't know how much you paid) but the hardware on them is a let down, hooks rust to bits, the split rings break, and often the lure won't run straight, for casting "slugs" I buy cheap ones, because I lose a lot on the rocks, out of the boat, I keep better ones, the list goes on and on, you have to weight up your own use and quality.

Ditto to that please ..

Hooks ??, i only use what i like and sometimes have to pay for them a tad more than i am happy to or wait till i can get a price match when i find them cheaper..
    Fishing reels ??, i refuse to pay what some of the top end Reels are asking for in Price as some reels ive had fer yonks at far cheaper output and with care and proper use they are still performing well today.
    Line as akin to Braid i think most are overated in asking price and can get cheaper at far less cost to the pocket and perform just as good if not better than some of the name brand braids .
    Lures may be a different story as i use less to have good knowledge to comment .
    again i think it comes down to what one can or cant afford to fork out within to fork out with common sence ..