Thread: Repropping

Repropping

I have just changed the prop on my Mercury 60. The old prop the white one has a washer at the back as you can see on the photo of the white prop on the towel. I put the black prop on with a sleeve fitted on the back a little washer and then a nut is that all I need to do to keep the area watertight or am I missing something. There were two spare washers in with the new prop but I can't see anywhere that they should be put. Also the washer on the old prop had a spine that fitted over the shaft and nestled up against the prop but there's not enough of the spline when the new properties put on for it to fit. That's why I just put a single nut up against the washer. Thanks for any help.20210409_123328.jpeg20210409_123306.jpeg20210409_123302.jpeg20210409_123310.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Repropping

sheik,do you have a thrust washer on the shaft between the prop and gearbox?

There is a washer there that looks like the two that are lying next to the white prop in the photo I uploaded. That washer was already there when I took the white prop off so I just left it there.

There is a thrust washer, which is a kind of stepped washer goes on first, make sure it suits the new prop, then the prop, then some kind of splined, notched or bendable washer, then the nut, nothing needs to be water proof down there.