Thread: Best place to launch at Gold Coast

Best place to launch at Gold Coast

My wife is doing a 10km ocean swim from Coolangatta to Tallebudgera on Saturday and I’ll be supporting her in a boat. Boat is a 6.5m RIB.

I’m after some advice on where might be the best place to launch the boat. The last swim down there was Burleigh to Surfers and I launched at Southport and went out through the seaway. This time though, with the swim start at Coolangatta it would be a long boat trip to the start of the swim. It’s doable though if the best option.

It’s been suggested to launch at Tallebudgera creek or I think the other option is the Tweed River and out through the Tweed bar. I have zero experience down that way so was wondering if anyone knows the area could provide some advice? I would not have thought tally creek was an option but a couple of people have mentioned it. I also have no bar crossing experience so obviously want the safest option, and won’t go out if conditions don’t suit.

Current BOM forecast for Saturday morning is 5-10 W to NW. I will be heading out about an hour before high tide and coming back in on the outgoing tide.

Re: Best place to launch at Gold Coast

Hi mate

I would suggest forget Tally, Tweed would definitely be doable given the current forecast of wind/swell/tides. Seaway always a good option but as you say a fair hike down to the starting point.

Hey Nabba, where have you been?

all the beaches down there are closed atm due to the sea conditions, so the Tweed and the seaway are your safest choices!

Maybe have a chat with these guys about Currumbin Bar?

https://boatgoldcoast.com.au/watchin...cue-currumbin/

Thanks guys. Have had some advice from a charter operator that really the seaway is the only option probably until early/mid next week.

in any case the wife has decided not to swim as the surf conditions are probably going to be too much for her.

Hello andoland,
    I am local to Currumbin and I would suggest Currumbin.
    Forecast is light winds and 1 metre with favourable tides.

Watch out for debris after the floods.

Currumbin bar in your boat is very doable, good boat ramps with adequate parking.

Good luck to your wife, ocean swimming is a great sport.

In May I am supporting a relay team in the Coollie to Surfers Swim, four gun swimmers, 21kms.
    It is going to be a long day.

The wife is doing that swim as well as a solo, so I’ll be there supporting. She’s done a few ocean marathon swims now, here and in WA.