Thread: F175/200 i4 tilt ram corrosion

F175/200 i4 tilt ram corrosion

Hi all,

I’m posting on behalf of a mate, re corrosion on the ‘tilt ram’ of early model F175 and F200 i4 donks. He has heard that it was not uncommon on the earlier models, and there was a bad batch spanning some years. Yamaha has since rectified the problem, but not sure exactly when/what years were affected.

He has only just noticed it on both his 2015 F175’s @185hrs. His boat lives on a trailer and is immaculately maintained. He then asked a mate of his to check his brother’s 2014 F200 i4 tilt ram, and voila, same thing again! Only the tilt ram is affected, the trim rams are fine. FYI, his previous 150 Yam 2-smokers (on the same boat), the rams were still perfect at ~13 years old).

If anyone has a similar age F175/F200 i4 (or even a 2016 model), and you haven’t had a close look, could you please tilt fully up and have a look at your tilt ram (centre ram), and report back whether good or bad.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers BrendonIMG_1617675174.047930.jpgIMG_1617675210.842572.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: F175/200 i4 tilt ram corrosion

I have a 2011 150hp Yammy 4 stroker, my mechanic told me to always store the motor totally down after giving a good wash and just a light oiling. Mines still as clean as the day I bought it. If I am working on the trailer and the motor needs to be tilted to facilitate it then I will just give a light spray of lithium grease on them as I live near the sea and everything has a tendency to corrode.

Yeah Sam, his are always stored down too (cat trailer), and no drama with his last Yam rams even after 13 yrs.
    I suspect different parts (to your model) may have been used for the early 175/200’s.

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Yeah Sam, his are always stored down too (cat trailer), and no drama with his last Yam rams even after 13 yrs.
    I suspect different parts (to your model) may have been used for the early 175/200’s.

I guess it points to bad quality O rings then. Still a crap thing to happen.