Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replace Transom

Replace Transom

Hi all,

Further to my last post "fix hole in transom" the general consensus is that I should replace my transom and not chance it by making a repair.

A few said I can get away with it the way it is but most believe I should replace it as there is moisture in the transom and I don't fully know the extent of the damage and water will only rot it anyway if it isn't already. It hasn't been on the water in some 9 months and the moisture was still evident.

I'm just after advice on how I'd do a Transom like mine. Would it be harder than a normal straight transom? Can it be done or should it be done from the outside ?

A couple of pics of what I'm working with. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
    Geoff IMG20210307112632.jpgIMG20210307133421.jpg

Sent from my CPH2069 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Replace Transom

I'd do it from the inside that isavery easy transom,i would cut the cap and a space in front of the transom somewhere high enough your not being bent over deep down in the splashwell area trying to make the repair

Cheers Gaz.

A guy from perth offered me advice saying to do it from the outside. He said leave a an inch or 2 around the outer edges and try and remove the wet possibly rotted timber and then replace with new marine ply do my boards 1 at a time until the thickness was sufficient.

If I were to do it from inside how would I do it without removing the whole top half of the boat? There's just no room as it is and it almost impossible to work on. Just to get to the back of it now I have to lay on my tummy and crawl down there.

Thanks

Doing it from the outside is convenient, but, the best job is from the inside, you have to cut the deck off above the transom, then refit and reglass it when finished. How does that "pod" bit the motor bolts to attach to the rest of the boat? is there a kind of second transom with timber in it? if it's just the small bit where the motor mounts that's rotted it will be simple enough, but no transom is easy, that's why you pay big money to have a shop do it.

Cut out around the top where your yellow bag is that transom is easy peezy man just if all transoms were like yours

Cut your cap off like this, that transom should only take 2 days 1 extra day to tidy it up and paint it

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and get another few pics of that top cap you have marked when I get home, but it scares me how and where exactly I'd cut that cap? IMG20210307133438.jpgIMG20210218191957.jpg

If your going to put the same motor back on it pays to mark out your engine bolt holes and drill them out of the new ply with a hole saw and then bog them back up so when you drill the holes after you referb the transom the engine mount holes are sealed and supported just not from drilling out and sealing them afterwards like what everyone does.

Respectfully, seek many more opinions before launching into a transom rebuild using advice from Gaz. Have a serious chat to a professional before doing anything.

Some more pics of that area

In regards to do I do it or don't I, don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than to chuck my outboard back on and go fishing. Right now the long tails are on and I am missing out big time. I don't want to do a Transom rebuild if I don't need to but how do I honestly determine that? I've drilled some holes, the lower bottom ones were moist and the boat hasn't been in the water for nearly 10 months.

I am a complete novice here, I have never done a Transom before I have no real experience in knowing exactly what I should be looking for to know for sure if I do need to do it. I still don't even really know where the water has got in either as yet I figured maybe the washwell drains but once removed and inspected I cannot see an area through the part that they could have even leakes. One my have been the culprit though as it was the one that had a diagonal hole drilled into it and it was open to the ply of the Transom.... Still not 100% sure though, so that goes against me as well.

I hate to hassle so many people and ask questions, and believe me I have asked heaps and unfortunately in some ways it confuses me more. I've had a lot of people say if it's wet it's then it's a definite problem, if not right now then it will be at some stage in the future, so it's a no brainer - rip it out and do it for piece of mind, safety etc etc I've also had others say don't get carried away with a transom repair based on water/moisture in the Transom, it doesn't mean you need a new one or need to rip it out... You can repair it and it will be easy, it will last for years before it becomes and issue again.

Could I please ask if there is a sure fire way I can do a test that will determine for sure if I should replace the transom or not?

If it involves cutting bigger piece out of the back to check it, I'm up for it, if it is another way I'm up for it but I would really appreciate a way I can be sure one way or the other if you could please guide me on that.

I know I can just take it to a boat builder/repair shop but they are expensive and I just don't have the money to lay for it to be done right now, and also I'd love nothing more than doing it myself with the help of the great people of this forum and hopefully learn a thing or 2 along the way so that I will be better prepared and be equipped with knowledge if ever I needed to do it again or hopefully pass on my knowledge to someone else with the same issue.

Really appreciate and take on all of your advice and thoughts on my threads.

Thanks
    Geoff IMG20210308171555.jpgIMG20210308171549.jpgIMG20210308171535.jpg

hey garfield , picture 1 where you have drawn the black line in prep to cut , maybe its only this panel that is wet and this could be a small job hopefully , now im only doing my first transom as well so consider this advice as a backyarder word for word ok , if this was my boat , id cut out that little panel from the outside , glue new ply in against the inside skin and glass outside and wrap around the pod style sides ,
    is it safe to assume the water has only penetrated thru one of the many holes on the back so hopefully the wetness hasnt spread to far

youve got the outboard off , may as well cut out along the black line and remove the outside skin any way , im thinking water has come in from the well holes and wont be as bad as bad can be

I believe it needs replacing, but I’m no expert.

I’d start by getting a reputable boatbuilder to have a look, discuss your options with him and get a quote. Then you have the correct information and can make an informative decision.

Good luck.

PS: if you end up doing yourself, it will eventually end up ok, but being a novice, it may take you a while to end up with your desired finish

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Appreciate it mate.

I just need that direction mate and wanna know for sure if it needs to be done or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    hey garfield , picture 1 where you have drawn the black line in prep to cut , maybe its only this panel that is wet and this could be a small job hopefully , now im only doing my first transom as well so consider this advice as a backyarder word for word ok , if this was my boat , id cut out that little panel from the outside , glue new ply in against the inside skin and glass outside and wrap around the pod style sides ,
    is it safe to assume the water has only penetrated thru one of the many holes on the back so hopefully the wetness hasnt spread to far