Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replace Transom

Re: Replace Transom

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    boat coat epoxy is a formular designed for plywood composite hulls not fibreglass hulls, whoops....
    Did you know that Boatcraft Pacific sells a booklet called 'Transom Replacement Instructions'? And that the descriptor for the booklet is "Replacing the transom on your fibreglass boat [using] Bote-Cote boatbuilding products"?

Seems CT does know his stuff and you owe him an apology.

Transom-Cover.jpg

CT you may have shot your self in the foot on this one you recommended BoatCoat Epoxy that boat coat epoxy is a formular designed for plywood composite hulls not fibreglass hulls, whoops.... and epoxy on a pokyester hull is a no no so everyone has strung me up for using epoxy on my hull it ruins any futher repairs.. but you know it all mate..

Why Bote-Cote?

Bote-Cote is an epoxy system specially formulated to meet the needs of wooden boats and their builders. It is highly resistant to attack by water and other chemicals and solvents, and as an adhesive, it grips tenaciously to timber and other materials. In particular it is formulated to match the flex properties of timber, so that it is not brittle and will not crack away from the timber as the structure moves naturally. Its high solids formula provides an excellent moisture barrier, and its fast wetting and penetrating properties make it an ideal matrix for fibreglass and other synthetic fibres. It has a thixotropic agent in the formulation to help develop an adequate coating thickness (especially on vertical or sloping panels), the single most important factor in preventing moisture reaching the substrate.
    That doesn't exclude using their epoxy on a fiberglass boat. Actually there is nothing wrong with using epoxy for repairing a polyester boat. In fact it's highly recommended when repairing a transom from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Did you know that Boatcraft Pacific sells a booklet called 'Transom Replacement Instructions'? And that the descriptor for the booklet is "Replacing the transom on your fibreglass boat [using] Bote-Cote boatbuilding products"?

Transom-Cover.jpg
    Thanks Mopheus. It's amazing what can be achieved when one reads and follows the instructions!

Blog Entries

facts.jpg

. 1

Going to buy this booklet

Transom-Cover.jpg
    Sent from my CPH2069 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by garfield28 View Post
    Going to buy this booklet

I'll send you a copy of mine if you PM me an email address. It was available as a free download for a while.

I found their other booklet much more useful. I bought it as a hardcopy.

How has an argument involving Gazza side track yet another thread!
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Im not one to flog a dead horse.. i posted credible evidence you used the wrong resin its even a softer formular for the flexing in plywood hulls, you can take it or leave it thats my opinion, thats my research, if u wanna be blindly lead that is up to you but dont push a resin onto another blokes build that isformulated for plywood hulls its a false economy and miss leading

It may have worked for you even tho you done it wrong i will be a man and say i hope it continues to work... flog me all you like on my transom but you contradic your self based on a billetin

Do it once do it right use the correct resin at the beginning, the whole boat coat web site is based around plywood boats why u would chose there resins to repair a GRP hull is just up there with being blind folded or taking my advice...

When your wrong own that shit dobt get out a rag and polish the turd to make it sound like your correct be a man not a perfectionist....

Will do now. Thanks heaps CT
    Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I'll send you a copy of mine if you PM me an email address. It was available as a free download for a while.

I found their other booklet much more useful. I bought it as a hardcopy.

When your wrong own that shit dobt get out a rag and polish the turd to make it sound like your correct be a man not a perfectionist....
    The manufacturer's published documentation says you're wrong yet here you are spitting and polishing. Flog that horse, Gazza.

The manufacturer's published documentation says you're wrong yet here you are spitting and polishing. Flog that horse, Gazza.
    Of course boat craft want to flog there products how else will they get sales... read the description on the resin it says its specifically designed for plywood composite so much they have reduced the resins stiffness

Plywood composite is not fibreglass GRP, one is aplywood core with a fibreglass skin either side that builds up the entire boat this is specifically what the boatcoat resin was designed for, GRP is a solid fibreglass laminate

Alot of you guys said i ruined my boat by using epoxy resin 3 years ago and here u are supporting the use of epoxy resins... i dont get it

And what is a transom but a ply core composite

Of course boat craft want to flog there products how else will they get sales... read the description on the resin it says its specifically designed for plywood composite so much they have reduced the resins stiffness

Plywood composite is not fibreglass GRP, one is aplywood core with a fibreglass skin either side that builds up the entire boat this is specifically what the boatcoat resin was designed for, GRP is a solid fibreglass laminate

Alot of you guys said i ruined my boat by using epoxy resin 3 years ago and here u are supporting the use of epoxy resins... i dont get it
    They say it's slightly more flexible than other resins. This doesn't preclude it's use for other applications. A transom rebuild involves laminating wood in any case.

read the description on the resin it says its specifically designed for plywood composite so much they have reduced the resins stiffness

Do you ever stop to think about what it is you're typing? What is a transom if not "a plywood core with a fibreglass skin"?

Where has CT said that he built a non-composite GRP anything with it?

He has used the product for EXACTLY what the manufacturer designed it for - encapsulating a plywood core in a fibreglass sheath.

Nope. People told you that CSM won't lay down properly with epoxy because the binders only dissolve in poly (and they were correct), gave you advice on PPE (which you refused and paid the health price for) and asked if you'd considered poly/epoxy compatibility w.r.t your gelcoat (which you hadn't).

That's all helpful advice, not telling you that you ruined your boat.

Receipts here.

Well he's flogging something!