Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quintrex

Quintrex

Not too sure how to do this without our old mate jumping in and starting another war, but anyway, here goes, straight off, I know absolutely jack shit about the Quintrex Apex hull. On Sunday I was snooping around the ramp and a new Quintrex "Apex" hull came in, around 5.5-6m in length, it's a funny looking kind of double pointed bow setup, looked kind of strange, but interesting too, what got me the most, was all three passengers were soaked, it wasn't a rough day, lots of small boats out, does anyone own one of these, or know anyone who does? just interested if these guys just did something silly, or there was an unexpected wake/wave/incident that caused them to get wet. The boat itself looked OK, except for the bow, pretty neat and tidy, it was obviously a "package deal" because the trailer looked way too small for the boat.

Re: Quintrex

I've never been in one...

But in the video comparison you can see how it throws the spray directly out to the sides and from how far forward compared to a regular Quintrex in a side by side comparison...

In some of those drone shots it even appears that the hull shape might even force the water forward and out.

Dont forget to pack a raincoat...

and just turn the sound down if old Foghorn, leghorn annoys you..

Did he measure the height of the floor to the gunwhale and call it the ‘freeboard’?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I have no idea if they are wet or dry but when I first saw the shape I thought of Pavati wake boats out of the US. Totally different boats but to my eye there is a similarity in hull/bow shape

https://pavati.com/

Cheers Matt

I wish I had of asked the guys at the ramp, but they were having a bit of difficulty with a slippery ramp and a two wheel drive car, plus they were wet, the whole rig looked new, and they looked pretty pissed off in general, so I just let them be.

Ausfish Platinum Member

"looks" to ride better into a sea than the conventional hull, ie, bow movement up and down is less pronounced, less like it is coming down hard. Certainly appears to throw the spray out further, which is likely to give a wetter ride across some breeze. of course, hard to really tell unless you are in the thing on the day.

I saw this mob do the same sort of comparison of a BC vs a Quintrex Trident a few years ago, using the drone. You could see the BC throw out a solid wall of spray from that so-called chine they weld under the bow ( bit of flat bar welded on edge) . This explains why they are so bloody wet once you get even the tiniest amount up into a crosswind.

Sounds like newbys - maybe didn't understand how & when to trim a boat .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nah , theyve been around a tad , have a mate who owns one and he is quite happy with it.
    Does a fair bit of lure work with it , how wet or dry i cannot remark but nice looking hull though.

Was one up the dam the other week with me, not sure which model but 5m ish

They had a bow mount like every other boat and with two guys the rear was popping out of the water

Such a fine entry or lack of hull forward in the water meant it had no bouyancy under the anglers

Thing looked ridiculous

Seemed to go through boat wash alright

Watched plenty of guys around Pumistone Passage, many know what they're doing but just as many don't.
    Seen many tinnies proposing for no apparent reason other than the motor trimmed in hard again the transom.
    Simple fixes but obviously beyond those using the boats. That's probably why I got my tinnie as cheap as. Owner had no idea.

There could be lots of possible reasons these guys were wet, I have no idea of their boating skills, but their retrieve technique suggested to me they were pretty new to the game, never seen one of those hulls "in action" so not sure how they go.

Hey Noel another member was looking at the apex hull about 5 months ago he was asking for advice on the forum

I think i recall brisbane marine done a review of the apex hull with a drone i'll see if i can find the link

Ausfish Platinum Member

They must have been around for a while? I thought one of the Youtube videos was from 2 years ago? The point about no bow bouyancy is well made, would appear to be a trade-off for the effectively finer entry. Everything in boats is a compromise....

Oops double posted somehow. See below.

The ride characteristics he raves about appear to be (in large part) due to the helm position being so far aft. Watch his offsider in the front passenger seat from 15:00-15:55 in the vid below ... that seat's much closer to a standard half-cab seating position and he gets banged around a fair bit.

At the 15:50 mark there're three pretty hard hull slaps before the vid cuts to another scene. I suspect they were pushing the hull's limits in that sea state and backed off.