Thread: Haines catamaran

Haines catamaran

While i was caught in traffic here in Brisbane, i saw a white 20'ish catamaran being towed coming in the opposite direction. didn't pay too much attention until it went past, then i noticed it had Haines on the side, that's all i saw before it disappeared. Anyone know of these, never seen one before!

Re: Haines catamaran

Back about 1972 a friend had a Haines Tri Hull up at Urangan. Could that have been what you saw in passing.

I always admired that boat and thought it may have been a good fishing hull and totally seaworthy.

I had a 16 foot Haines at the time which was a very good Boat.

Have fun Haji-Baba

I didnt actually know any of this ...just found it on the internet...but it seems back in the early 70's Haines made some Tri hulls and Catamarans....

Some history for anyone interested in the link below....

Over 60 years ago since the Haines brothers built there first glass boat for racing.....and over 40 years since they were forced out of the company...in hindsight selling a majority share of the company didnt auger well for them...

They certainly were innovators and must have had some pretty wild times back in the day....

"Many models and configurations evolved, including the “R” Runabout, “C” Cabin as well as the ski-oriented 1600,1800 and 2100SO (commonly known as “Essos”). There was also a cathedral-hulled 17ft bowrider and a 23ft twin-hulled catamaran."

https://boats.tradeaboat.com.au/Revi...s_Hunter_boats

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I didnt actually know any of this ...just found it on the internet...but it seems back in the early 70's Haines made some Tri hulls and Catamarans....

Some history for anyone interested in the link below....

Over 60 years ago since the Haines brothers built there first glass boat for racing.....and over 40 years since they were forced out of the company...in hindsight selling a majority share of the company didnt auger well for them...

They certainly were innovators and must have had some pretty wild times back in the day....

"Many models and configurations evolved, including the “R” Runabout, “C” Cabin as well as the ski-oriented 1600,1800 and 2100SO (commonly known as “Essos”). There was also a cathedral-hulled 17ft bowrider and a 23ft twin-hulled catamaran."

https://boats.tradeaboat.com.au/Revi...s_Hunter_boats

it was a decent size, could easily have been the 23' mentioned in the timeline! Could only see the word Haines, didn't appear to have a second name!

There was a .haines cat many years ago (around 23') back then lots of builders had a go, most just fizzled out because of lack of market appeal, there was Haines, Cape cat, Seamaster, Multi cat, Devil cat, Markham Whaler, or just Whaler, Sharkcat, a couple of alloy builders, Marlin Broadbill was the only one that stuck around, then there was a handful of "one off" builds.

I believe Haines are building the small Voyager cats at their Wacol factory as contract builds.
    Se the link below.

Cheers
    Chimo

https://www.australianboatmags.com.a...DIG28_prev.pdf
    What could go wrong.......................

Probably was a Haines trailer Tramp which was a trimaran with folding sponsons. Great boat. Quick to rig and a lot of fun. Look up Haines Tramp and see if that's what you're trying to track down.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDAFF View Post
    Probably was a Haines trailer Tramp which was a trimaran with folding sponsons. Great boat. Quick to rig and a lot of fun. Look up Haines Tramp and see if that's what you're trying to track down.
    Regards
    Was definitely a cat, with twin motors!

I just found an image of the Haines tramp. We went and had a look at a Haines catamaran on Bribie, probably the best part of 20 years ago, and it wasn't the Tramp that we looked at back then.

It was a big boat, 20 foot plus.

Bloke at work has one, think they also went under edencrafts name for awhile aswell

Remember seeing the catamaran at the end of a Haines Hunter catalog back in the 80's. It was around 20ft or so.

I found this on here. It would seem to indicate that the Haines cat and the Edencraft are the same. No pictures

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-cats-any-good