Thread: finishing coats on an old fibreglass tender..

finishing coats on an old fibreglass tender..

Well Dans short lockdown saw me sanding off the remnants of paint over a pretty poor gelcoat job...done at least 50 years ago.It is on a prototype boat tender thats been in the family a long time.Alligatoring in lots of places under an all mat lay up.Its actually come up pretty well but I need some advice on finishing off the outside of the hull...thinking a primer and paint on the outside...roller friendly if possible..although I have spray gear if necessary.

Would welcome advice on actual products to use .....other than the colour...it has to be Pillar Box Red apparently...although thats not my department!

Re: finishing coats on an old fibreglass tender..

Boatworks Today thinks highly of Alexseal paints for roller application. Here's their most recent vid using the rolling additive (rolled on without tipping). Worth a look.

I have found all those "amazing" finishes to be near impossible for the home handyman to do, the before and after examples at boat shows always feature "one I prepared earlier". I am sure it's possible, but, unless you have perfect prep, perfect conditions and top gear, it's just going to come out "good"

Thanks Mopheus....thats a load of info on technique I hope they are available in Aus if not ....??.........and yes Noelm Ive worked alongside a boatbuilder with a spray shop ..and seen the care and prep put into the few minutes...relatively ..it takes to spray the hull...its learned skill....not bought out of a shop..Thats why Im happy to roll the paint out...

International Paints also have a similar product here in Oz, I used it on a 26ft boat I repaired a few years back and it does come up very nice just by brushing with a roller and brush tipping it on edges. Not 100% as good as spraying but very hard to notice the difference. Do a good prep first, although it will cover some blemishes and mistakes!

https://www.international-yachtpaint...hes/perfection

https://www.norglass.com.au/tag/marine/ Very good Goes on easy & lays down great

2 pack paint and a spray gun. All else inferior.