Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A return to boating and fishing after many years.

A return to boating and fishing after many years.

After 10 years without a boat I’m serious about getting back into offshore fishing. The kids are now grown enough that they don’t require as much time on weekends so it will allow more time for fishing.
    I will be going halves in a boat with my brother. That was the arrangement with our previous boat (7m Razerline plate boat with a 225 Suzuki) and it worked great. Obviously rego and insurance and maintenance bills are halved.
    We live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane and used to launch at Scarborough or Bribie or Mooloolaba. I expect there’ll be no change to that aside from the odd trip to 1770 or a little further north like we used to do.
    Now for the question. What boat do we want? We’re open to plate or glass. Thinking about the same size as the old boat. Has to be able to fish 4 in relative comfort. The only real limitation is the boat will have to be occasionally towed locally by a Pajero Sport. (For longer trips we would use my brother’s Cruiser).
    We will want this boat to last 20 years (that’ll take me to nearly 70) so something decent quality. As were not super young any more something that rides nice is preferable.
    Any suggestions as to where to start researching would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: A return to boating and fishing after many years.

All defined by budget. How about throwing that up? Makes it easier for a recommendation. Ur already maxed with 3.5t tow capacity as well. I’m always going to say go for a cat if you want comfort.

I thought the Pajero would be the limiting factor but it looks like 3.1 tonnes so ignoring the realities of actually doing that the world is your oyster.

My mate has a Haines 630 Breeze and three up is ok. Two is great. Mine is a 675 and it fishes 3 up well but I reckon 4 would be a squeeze.I usually just fish 2.

I love glass but perhaps with 4 up your looking at a cat or a platey.

Cheers
    Craig

No budget constraints as such but I am careful with my money generally so would not want to pay extra if not necessary.
    I was thinking $100000 to $130000 ish.

Oh and to clarify the 4 would be myself and my brother and our two lads - 14 and 17. Realistically we would not be all fishing at once I guess. One of us would be acting as driver/deckie etc while 3 fished.

Get a Formular 233 if u want agood riding hull may be abit tipsy at rest so im told, you shouldhave zero problems moving it come up or down grade time

Thanks for the replies.
    Which of the current crop of plate boat brands are considered decent nowadays? Something with solid construction and 6mm bottom.

Most of the brand name custom builders are OK, the "mass produced" boats fill a market and considerably cheaper, I guess you have to decide which way you want to go, your budget is good, that kind of money the market is wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by simongregory View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    Which of the current crop of plate boat brands are considered decent nowadays? Something with solid construction and 6mm bottom.
    https://www.watsonsmarine.com.au/

After 10 years without a boat I’m serious about getting back into offshore fishing. The kids are now grown enough that they don’t require as much time on weekends so it will allow more time for fishing.
    I will be going halves in a boat with my brother. That was the arrangement with our previous boat (7m Razerline plate boat with a 225 Suzuki) and it worked great. Obviously rego and insurance and maintenance bills are halved.
    We live in the northern suburbs of Brisbane and used to launch at Scarborough or Bribie or Mooloolaba. I expect there’ll be no change to that aside from the odd trip to 1770 or a little further north like we used to do.
    Now for the question. What boat do we want? We’re open to plate or glass. Thinking about the same size as the old boat. Has to be able to fish 4 in relative comfort. The only real limitation is the boat will have to be occasionally towed locally by a Pajero Sport. (For longer trips we would use my brother’s Cruiser).
    We will want this boat to last 20 years (that’ll take me to nearly 70) so something decent quality. As were not super young any more something that rides nice is preferable.
    Any suggestions as to where to start researching would be great.
    Thanks in advance.
    have a look at BLACK MARLIN FABRICATIONS in Brendale, as a mate is picking his 5.2m C/C up hopefully this week, and it looks awesome. Think they make 3 sizes between 5 and 6m, all custom made to order!

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies.
    Riptide, Svennson boats (Col Svennson from Fisher and Origin boats) have a following. AMM, Rebel, Vindicator, Offshore Marine Master are other custom plate builders that look great.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Riptide, Svennson boats (Col Svennson from Fisher and Origin boats) have a following. AMM, Rebel, Vindicator, Offshore Marine Master are other custom plate builders that look great.
    Perfect advice here: other thing to look at is boatsales. Look for the brands that have zero stock in the second hand market. MODA, Rebel and Svennson all fit this criteria... If you want fibreglass and prepared to look at cats: Devil Cat, Cougar cat, Noosa Cat, Abcat, Glacier Bay... Boatsonline had a very reasonable 2400 second hand noosa cat come up but its now sold and in west coast....

Performance plate boats at Brendale worth a phone call also..get pretty good bang for your buck but there is a fairly decent wait time unfortunately.

As with anything that is good, there soon follows demand..

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    Performance plate boats at Brendale worth a phone call also..get pretty good bang for your buck but there is a fairly decent wait time unfortunately.

As with anything that is good, there soon follows demand..
    Another vote for performance plate alloy boats. However, Sam said there is at least an 18 month wait for a custom made fishing boat at present. Worth it in the end though. SS