Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Could it be the beginning of the ending for gas power?

Could it be the beginning of the ending for gas power?

Mercury brings out a v12 gas powered outboard in 2021 and the car manufacturer Jaguar announces all there car models to be electric in 2025 that is only 4 short years away, the car industry is going leeps and bounds for all electric, do u think the mercury v12 was a last big bang for gas powered outboards?

Maybe an end of an era possibly?

Will themoveto go electric see the arabs go back to there trusty camels as fuel use dewindles and everyone goes high tech?

I hear a lot of lithium ion comes from korea maybe they will be the next asian country too profit and boom like china in the 00, 10, era?

Good idea or bad idea with a korean leader off hes chops?

Re: Could it be the beginning of the ending for gas power?

australia is the worlds largest exporter of lithium but other countries have larger reserves of it
    korea isnt even in the top 6 countries reserve wise,i dont know where you hear stuff from.

petrol outboards will be around for ages as their is no alternative and there is still plenty of oil in the ground and other ways to make petroleum.

Saw my first Tesla broken down on the side of the road a few weeks back so could have ran out of power too but the tow truck says something went wrong i think the electric side of things will take a while longer the develop and the wind turbines in the snow bound USA have stopped working due to them being frozen so there's a long long way to go before they stop pumping oil it would have to run out before they would go to alternitive power source in powering cars and boat engines but i see the UK will stop useing diesel by 2050 according to Boris that's a real big call too.

Yeah Chris i heard Australia is supposedly going emissions free by 2050 whatevrr that means, what i guage of pollies saying that from my view is we will be a country relying on electric power for everything from 2050 onwards its abig call to put your hand up and say we are dedicated to it with millions of cars on our roads and it only snows for afew months a year for run off to power the snowy mountain hydro electrics we as a country are growing to with people having children and others migrating to australia but we are still stuck with the same size dams.. how this will pan out with global warming and more people using electricity i donno about it...

Maybeall australian houses should have solar panels to supply the demand

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    wind turbines in the snow bound USA have stopped working due to them being frozen so there's a long long way to go before they stop pumping oil
    Be fair - Texas wind turbines aren't cold proofed. Neither are their gas wellheads which is why their gas generation capacity is way down right now. Technological solutions exist to both problems but because Texas is usually hot they didn't implement them.

Do u guys think the price of fuel will go down as electric car use goes up or do u think fuel prices will sky rocket?

I just put $50 of unleaded fuel in the old girl at $1.19c/L i got 150kms local driving and had to refuel (less than 1/4th a tank)

Not sure where lpg is made but i got good fuel economy on lpg about 110kms per $22-$25 (a tank cost between $22-$25)

If fuel goes up i cant afford unleaded and i heard lpg is going up next year and will cost asmuch as unleaded

As for lithium ion i read that korea buys all the lithium ion batteries from japan, which are than bought by china that end up in all our chinese made toys and power tools

Fuel will rise to offset the decline in use versus cost of production
    Newzealanders pay low to mid $2 per litre as it is now.

I find it very hard to believe China needs North Korea to do that
    India and China are the largest manufacturers of lithium power cells that get combined to make batteries

Alternative power for houses will come, lots are now solar and battery powered, cars will come too, boats will take a lot longer, I think we will have nuclear power plants once the Government can convince people they are save and "green" and this will supply cheap power for jnfustry and as a grid back up to our solar houses.

A fundamental problem is that lithium batteries only have 10% of the energy capacity of petrol or diesel by weight. To get the same range and speed, you'd have to carry 10X the mass of batteries compared to fuel. This is feasible for a car rolling on a road coupled with regenerative braking. On a planing boat where weight is the enemy, its not feasible unless the range is cut very short. Displacement boats on the other hand....

The issue with boats is charging, especially bigger displacement boats, the infrastructure just isn't there, cars are getting there, lots of charging stations at supermarkets and so on, however, this is only cheap for the user, the free power to charge still comes from a "dirty" power station, most can't grasp that, plugging your car in at home isn't green, some people might "feel" green, but in reality it's just not so.

Ausfish Platinum Member

The thing with boats and battery power which will limit them is just the nature of the load. It's the same fact which comes up when you discuss prop sizing, or engine longevity of cars vs outboards---boats are never coasting downhill. Except for the few moments as you come off the power when slowing, they are always driving a heavy load. The best analogy is to compare a boat motor to a car engine which is being driven uphill, all day every day. Except that a boat (well, very few) doesn't have variable gearing to manage the load.The heavier you load it, the steeper the hill you are driving it up. Over-prop the motor, you make the hill even steeper. Or think of it as driving your car , manual, up a steep, never ending hill in overdrive top . No chance for regenerative charging on a boat. The load is always there, so your range will be limited until they improve the energy density of batteries.
    As to the accusation of charging "green" cars with "dirty energy", I do find this ironically funny at times. BTW, not talking about you, Noelm. The same people who shout loadest to retain coal are those who shout loudest about what they see as the hypocrisy of green cars. etc. So, you throw every possible obstacle at renewables, and then say that? Rant against green energy, then say that energy is "dirty" ? Go and Google "cognitive dissonance" .

As to the frozen windmills in Texas "causing the blackout " thing, well, same suspects again. Eager to jump on anything that may support their prejudices, but the facts don't support it. Texis simply was not winterised in any respect, with regards to power and utilities. They had gas generation, their largest source , go down due to conditions that were absolutely unprecedented. As well as having units offline for maintenance, normal practice for them due to the normally mild Texas winters. The remaining working assets couldn't cope with the massive heating demand. End of story. Just like the federal government eagerly jumping on South Australia going black statewide that one time, after they had decommissioned the old Port Augusta coal generator. Saying it was because they had gone to renewables. Absolute bulls**t by them, wilfully ignorant or just plain lying. A whole row of transmission towers went down in that storm, a line which bought power from the north. That was a big factor. Secondly, yes, the windfarms went offline too early--the enquiry into that discovered that , to simplify a trechnical discussion, the setting were wrong. They could have easily kept powering, they were not over their operating speed, they just automatically shut off way too early. This has since been recified. Thirdly, the interconnector, which ties the SA grid to the Vic grid, went down. End of story. Nowadays, SA sends to export power to Vic, rather than the other way around. The greatest impediment to green power in this country has been the Coaltion government, the energy wars ( for them, a cultural war) that have raged for well over a decade have been responsible for the energy mess that we got into. The market needs certainty to invest, all they got was a war. What does it tell you when private enterprise WILL JUST NOT INVEST IN COAL OR GAS GENERATION. Yes, I just shouted. Those days are gone, these people are a lot smarter with the future than politicians are. . So now most of the states are going their own way, while the Nationals keep flogging the dead black horse. Rant over.

Virtually ( for that, read effectively all) Lithium ion cell production is in China. Period. You want lithium, you are buying from them. They are the innovators in both design and manufacture. Brands such as CALB and Winston have been around a fair while , there have been incremental advances on them. While you can buy batteries which are assembled here, that's as far as it goes. The actual collection of parts used, ie, quality and size of BMS, internal connection methods and mounting of components and how they are assembled goes a long way towards determining ultimate longevity.

As to nuclear power, yes, I think it would be a cheap form of baseload. Unfortunately, words like Chernobyl and Fukushima tend to get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Mercury brings out a v12 gas powered outboard in 2021 and the car manufacturer Jaguar announces all there car models to be electric in 2025 that is only 4 short years away, the car industry is going leeps and bounds for all electric, do u think the mercury v12 was a last big bang for gas powered outboards?

Maybe an end of an era possibly?

snipped out the racist bits
    I think we are probably at the peak of petrol burning automotive innovation. The current crop of high end cars available now will probably be the last that are purely powered by dino juice. From here car manufactures are going to be investing their R&D in alternatives. As far as outboard motors go I agree with the above posts and it will be awhile before there is a move away from petroleum based powerplants.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah Chris i heard Australia is supposedly going emissions free by 2050 whatevrr that means, what i guage of pollies saying that from my view is we will be a country relying on electric power for everything from 2050 onwards its abig call to put your hand up and say we are dedicated to it with millions of cars on our roads and it only snows for afew months a year for run off to power the snowy mountain hydro electrics we as a country are growing to with people having children and others migrating to australia but we are still stuck with the same size dams.. how this will pan out with global warming and more people using electricity i donno about it...

Maybeall australian houses should have solar panels to supply the demand
    It is net zero by 2050 so emissions will still be produced they will just have to be offset

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    As to nuclear power, yes, I think it would be a cheap form of baseload. Unfortunately, words like Chernobyl and Fukushima tend to get in the way.
    Aww Ranmar, you went and spoiled it by doing in the last paragraph what you were commenting on in the previous ones.

Chernobyl was run by idiots and was self inflicted. They may as well have pressed the "Never, ever, ever press this button" button.
    Fukushima was built in a geologically unstable area and some bright middle manager decided to move the backup cooling power generators under the flood line. It actually scrammed immediately as designed....it just needed cooling for a few days after that but the diesels drowned in the tidal wave so the dead reactor overheated. So self inflicted also.

Australia
    - millions and millions of geologically stable hectares thousands of kilometers from population centres.
    - plenty of fuel in the ground
    - plenty of places to store the low level waste (and it is low level waste)

We are an absolute prime canditate for nuclear power.
    If it wasn't for the anti nuclear brigade, we'd be carbon neutral now.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post

Virtually ( for that, read effectively all) Lithium ion cell production is in China. Period. You want lithium, you are buying from them. They are the innovators in both design and manufacture. Brands such as CALB and Winston have been around a fair while , there have been incremental advances on them. While you can buy batteries which are assembled here, that's as far as it goes. The actual collection of parts used, ie, quality and size of BMS, internal connection methods and mounting of components and how they are assembled goes a long way towards determining ultimate longevity.

There actually is a bloke producing LiFePO4 batteries in Australia but he says the boating/camping /rec market is too small for him to worry about.....he seems to only be interested in chasing the government funded military and commercial business...I had a few very strange interactions with him when recently looking for an aussie made 36v battery....here is a list of questions I asked of him ...I still never got an indication of a quote after quite a few emails where he kept telling me how special he was and how great his batteries are and how much he hated China.....Sometimes i think people let hate and arrogance get in the way of progress and its not likely that we will have aussie made Lithium ion batteries on the shelf any time soon unfortunately...

Lithium ion response.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post

If it wasn't for the anti nuclear brigade, we'd be carbon neutral now.
    I totally agree not to mention the reduction in the cost of power bills and stable power grid...but as Ranmar said the stigma of those past failures stop any progress in their tracks....

How can you change the perception of so many people that categorically refuse to look at the huge benefits..?