Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Could it be the beginning of the ending for gas power?

Re: Could it be the beginning of the ending for gas power?

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post

My posts are too long.
    At least they have paragraphs now...so thank you..

and when comparing systems you probably live in an area where you harvest more peak sun hours and far more consistent sunlight then just about anywhere else in the country....so your system needn't be as large as on the east coast..

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ok but what if we came up with a electric motor that was a torque monster, low speed 200rpm, high voltage low amp, spinning lets say 3 inline propellers haha im throwing that out there as an idea

Instead of trying to use a electric motor to propelle a regular gasoline engine propeller which the electri motor would need to turn at the same rpm as a petrol engine for the same output which technically wouldnt work

Say we add a gearbox that motors 200rpm transferred thru agearbox to output 5500rpm gasoline engine equivilent

Could we convert that low rpm torque monster electric motorto be capible of something like this?

A car has no problem transferring it power thru a gearbox to go up a continoues hill its just not designed to using a gearbox to gain torque and speed for a lesser engine speed could very much work for electric outboards its just not workable with petrol outboards at the moment because they dont have the torque ability to be geared down and maintain the power
    Electric motors are already "torque monsters" they have no torque curve, and have power from 1RPM to their max (more or less) that's why they are used in trains and ships, they require no gearbox, it's just the power source that's holding it all back.

Think we are tad way off before we can soley rely on Electric motors for both car and boats.
    Have a look whats happening globally with the Big freeze on at present with shortages of power and blackouts etc .
    So much for the reduction in Coal Fired Power Stations as an ex Employee of the above i can state Coal Fired Power have come a long way regarding emmisions cleanliness.
    Not to mention how much cheaper it is to produce Lectricity ..
    Dont know how much truth there is regarding Solar panels and how easy it is to recycle them in the future but was told there may be a wee bit of a problemo there ??..
    Time heals all wounds and im aftraid that is all there is to it . Twill take time to get divorced from Fossil Fuels etc and go All Green and if people think that may stop Climate Change or Global warming ??,
    Then find a way to get rid of two thirds of the Worlds Population and Animals and Juuuuuuusssssssssttttttt maybe there may be a chance lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Then find a way to get rid of two thirds of the Worlds Population and Animals and Juuuuuuusssssssssttttttt maybe there may be a chance lol..
    Well thats the real problem isnt it...

I propose that all the greenies and climate change protesters should volunteer to be euthanatized for the good of the planet....

In fact I think we should hold a protest and demand it..!...

Oh I think we could do it. (Solve the issues, not euthanise the population...)
    Have to be smarter, work together and forget past differences. Realise we really are all the same. Everybody's special but nobody is more special.
    Dunno how realistic that outcome is, even viewed in the microcosm of this forum at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hey Noel what i was trying to explain is wiyh a electric motor with a gearbox thru to the output (propeller) say we come up with agearbox it wouldnt be like aoutboard gearbox with 1 ratio it would need multiple gears lets say 3 automatic syncronised gears

How it is now
    You basically have a electric motor with a gearbox with 1 gear you adjust your speed by a variable speed controller (throttle) 1-70kph lets say 1-5000rpm motor speed

Now we take that motor and add a 3 speed automatic syncronised gearbox 1st gear would go 20kph 1000rpm, u push the throttle more so now we automatically click in to 2nd gear 1500rpm 50kph, now we go full throttle we click into 3rd gear automatically 2000rpm 70kph a really low gear thru the transmission

Basicall the gearbox transforms the engine or motors torque into running lower gears for a higher output shaft speed

Hope i explained that correctly

What your doing is taking a 1:1 ratio, motor to output and u use torque and multiple gears to increase the output speed at a lower rpm, with a gearbox u go from 1:1 ratio to 1:3 thats 1 revolution of the motor to 3 revolutions of the output shaft now u add multiple gears that change the ratio and multiply the output shafts speed but u cant reach really high ratios with 1 gear there for u bring the motors rpm right down and hugely increase the output ratio or max speed which will use torque to use lower motor rpms reducing the amount of electricity used

An easier way of seeing it

You have a motor 1:1 ratio you get 70kph 5000rpm

You have a motor and gearbox 1:25 ratio 70kph 1000rpm

I donno the exact rations so this is just a rough guide dont flamre me

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just kind if mulling this over, I wonder if the next big "thing" will be in solar panel development rather than the actual storage device (the battery) let's say a solar panel was discovered/invented that could actually run a car or boat, at decent speed, meaning during daylight hours, your car or boat could operate, completely green and free, rainy days and night driving would require a battery system of course, who knows? I hope I live long enough to see how it all pans out.
    I think it needs to be a combination of the two. Both PV efficiency vs cost and also energy density vs cost. If they can make large leaps in both sides of this challenge then not only will they make boats, all cars viable they’ll largely solve the need for coal and gas power stations too. They think that wind is pretty close to the peak of what can be wrung out of that technology but there’s still leaps to be made in solar and storage.

Even if we only see 10-40% jumps in storage capacity/density on current lithium tech. If they can considerably bring the cost down so that each house can afford to have its own version of a Tesla power wall then that would be a game changer in itself. Imagine you could get say 10kwa power wall and a solar system that made you completely off the grid for a large home for under 10k. No one would connect to the grid anymore.

I think tho we’d need to see at least a 100% jump in energy density of batteries to make electric boats really viable. Particularly trailerable planning boats. The surface areas of boats won’t allow enough solar panels to keep it perpetually charged up I don’t think. Even with the most optimistic projections on solar efficiency.

that’s my thoughts on it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

This is a very interesting topic, but the end of gas power is that far down the track that most of us will not be here to see it.

‘The U.K. will stop selling new diesel and petrol (gasoline) cars and vans from 2030 under plans announced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.’

This will be like parts of the world, us included, stopping the sale of 2 stroke motors. Although they have ceased being sold (new) there a hell of a lot of 2 strokes still running around, and will be for a long long time.

Yes, Noel, I hope I stick around for a lot longer to actually see where world is going in regards to power.

I remember as a little lad back in the 60’s, thinking, what will the year 2000 be like. This current period of my life, I once again think of the far off future and what will it be like.

I believe electric will be the way we end up, but there needs to be a huge advancement in how it is collected and how it is stored. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Interesting term there Shakey "collected" this is the key (I think) actually making energy (without nuclear) is a kind of downward spiral, but "collecting" it is a different story.

There are some very simple things that have been failed to be addressed. The simplest way to think about it is the Tesla car. 1 the weight of the power source. Yes lithium’s are light but you would need a larger battery bank than a Tesla. Boats don’t like excessive weight unless they are displacement and as a result you would need to substantially increase the hull length. 2. Boats have a crap load more drag hence an even bigger bank required for a tiny range. Cars currently have a max of about 400-500kms and they’re on tyres and smooth tarmac, good luck getting 200kms on the water. What does this mean? Electric is out and try telling fishos to wait 2 days until they can head out again waiting for batteries to recharge.

As for for hydrogen and nuclear thats a bloody laugh, if we can’t implement that in automobiles we have no hope for boats.

Everything about boats needs to be fool proof, elegant and simple due to the very environment they operate in. I have always been told to think before I open my mouth: this thread clearly has been shot from the hip. Try again.....

I don't think anyone is suggesting they have the answer, it's just a "what if" kind of thing, there's lots of obstacles so be over come before boats have an alternative power source, other than some kind of engine or wind (or oars....)

Here , found this today here it comes https://www.evoy.no/outboard/
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    There are some very simple things that have been failed to be addressed. The simplest way to think about it is the Tesla car. 1 the weight of the power source. Yes lithium’s are light but you would need a larger battery bank than a Tesla. Boats don’t like excessive weight unless they are displacement and as a result you would need to substantially increase the hull length. 2. Boats have a crap load more drag hence an even bigger bank required for a tiny range. Cars currently have a max of about 400-500kms and they’re on tyres and smooth tarmac, good luck getting 200kms on the water. What does this mean? Electric is out and try telling fishos to wait 2 days until they can head out again waiting for batteries to recharge.

As for for hydrogen and nuclear thats a bloody laugh, if we can’t implement that in automobiles we have no hope for boats.

Everything about boats needs to be fool proof, elegant and simple due to the very environment they operate in. I have always been told to think before I open my mouth: this thread clearly has been shot from the hip. Try again.....
    most of that has already been addressed in the thread. Battery energy density or lack there of, is addressing the weight/range issue. Nuclear was being addressed as base load power for the grid. Not for cars or boats. I don’t think that’s a laugh at all. It’s a more than viable option and currently the only real option for base load power with current tech if we are taking the whole CO2 net zero emissions goal seriously. Storage is of wind and solar is currently too expensive to compete with coal and gas. Without storage wind and solar cannot stand on their own. Even at less than 50% renewables South Australia had to run rolling load shedding (black outs) when a heat wave came and the wind didn’t blow.

Hydrogen I think could be an option for cars and boats. Sure the technology leaps needed are significant but no less significant than the battery density leaps needed to make all cars/trucks/grid renewable electric. And if he leap can be made it would probably fill the boating solution also. Possibly a hydrogen generator powering electric out drives? Who knows.

I for one am excited about what these new advancements will bring. I hope I am forced to consider an electric vehicle as a viable option in my life time on its own merits. What I’m not excited about is governments picking winners and losers and forcing an inferior technology down my throat. Not in favour of Governments taxing current technology to death in order for the green tech to look viable.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

What i think will happen in the future the govenment will step in and ban the sales of 2 stroke outboard parts and all 2 strokes will be like force by mercury and chrysler are today it will only leave us to go 4 stroke which i think will be phased out too once other alternatives are in place in the future, we are led to believe the world is free but we are all controlled by the govenment

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Here , found this today here it comes https://www.evoy.no/outboard/
    The way I read this, they have a battery pack weighing just over 600 kgs. Interesting

Image1613931789.232794.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app