Thread: Timely reminder about crocs

Timely reminder about crocs

For locals and visitors alike.

Reports over the last little while highlight the need for common sense and vigilance when on or in the water north of Gladstone.

The reminder is for locals in those areas who tend to become a bit complacent over time. I found myself at waters edge at a boat ramp cleaning fish with my back to the water one afternoon. I knew there were crocs around but had grown complacent.

There is a particularly large one who "owns" the waters near that ramp. I'd seen him many times but had simply forgotten about him. He had become part of the landscape to me.

That's how easy it is.

Its also a timely warning to visitors to those areas including freshwater creeks and lagoons near coast or big river systems.

Best way to think is the way that I learned at the Roper River (not well enough as I found).

"If its wet then its probably got a croc in it".

Take notice of the warnings.

Re: Timely reminder about crocs

Over admitting to making an error of judgement to demonstrate just how easy it is for something to happen (even for locals)? Who doesn't at some time or other in their lives?

Only person I've ever heard of who was perfect was crucified at the age of 32 and I'm not fussed on that happening. Croc didn't get him. He was as safe from crocs as Dundee was at "Walkabout Ck" (Mackinlay).

A local took these photo's and video a couple of nights ago at the South Mission Beach Boat ramp..

For about a year, while our main boat ramp was recently being upgraded this was our only ocean ramp...its nowhere near any estuaries and is straight off the beach with Dunk island straight out in front...

No pontoons or dock so you have to stand in the water and waves up to your thighs or waist whilst launching, retrieving and boarding your boat...

The fella said that while he was filming some other bloke rocked up and was going to dump prawn shells there as well...

What else can you say..

Video in the link..

https://www.facebook.com/1320444725/...26247446675503

croc 2 sth mission.jpgcroc Sth mission.jpg

That looks like a decent croc too!

Last year people were regularly throwing fish carcasses onto a Rocky city ramp attracting a croc which lives nearby.

Eventually croc was trapped and removed (3.8 metres). That croc lived a further km downstream and used to pass through city reaches on his way up to get freshwater at the barrage and started to detour via the ramp for a feed as well.

Despite the publicity, more carcasses were evident on the ramp a short time later.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    That looks like a decent croc too!
    Estimated about 3m..so big enough to do serious damage.

A dog was attacked today at South Mission Beach.

Presumably by this Croc...

The female owner jumped into the water after the dog and managed to scare/distract the croc enough to release the dog..

Dog was taken to the vet with various injury's including a half chewed up head.

Locals, tourists, children, horses and dogs regularly swim along this beach as well people launching boats day and night..

Another dog was taken further north along the beach about a month ago..Owner didnt jump in and dog was eaten..

Theres a few tiger sharks up your way too i got a14footer off cape sandwich in 3mt of gin clear water and have seen some around Dunk, dogs are a easy feed for both croc and shark

Geez how lucky is this fella...it seems crocs love a good afternoon barby as much as most of us...

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...c-jNnxwm5XScOc

and yeah Chris...its the bull sharks around the islands that are main worry.. a couple of spearo's have been badly mauled the past few years..and some days you cant land a mackeral because they are so hungry...

Well to me that's from feeding the croc's up there and making them jump out of the water to get there feed they look dumb but the clever and smart them mud gekos.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Geez how lucky is this fella...it seems crocs love a good afternoon barby as much as most of us...

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...c-jNnxwm5XScOc

and yeah Chris...its the bull sharks around the islands that are main worry.. a couple of spearo's have been badly mauled the past few years..and some days you cant land a mackeral because they are so hungry...
    I see plenty of blokes fishing in crocodile waters in boats that aren’t appropriate, iv seen a couple pull them out and put them back on their cars and say bugger that . I want something with sides if I’m going out , even in a 5mt quintrex they are a big animal
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Well to me that's from feeding the croc's up there and making them jump out of the water to get there feed they look dumb but the clever and smart them mud gekos.
    I agree, it's got me buggered how anyone can approve encouraging this in an area that thrives on the travelling fisho coming for holidays in areas inundated with crocs. We spent 3 weeks fishing South Alligator year before last and there is a lot of crocs in there, and some big ones too.
    Cheers
    Corry

yeah Matt I try not to think about overly friendly crocs when out in my quinnie explorer ...a deeper hull would be better of course but I try and refrain from having a cookup onboard in the evenings...

I would like to know what a happened to the old fella that was killed recently at Hinchinbrook and how his little boat ended up, upside down....whether he fell out and capsized it getting back in or whether the croc attacked the boat..

The NT croc feeding/jumping still astounds me in this day and age ...but then again, given their CU in the NT tourist promo stuff, nothing really surprises me about the NT..

Read all of that croc story and the guy said the rangers were tracking it down and its assessed before removing it ,i wonder how they assess it, it attacked someone so do they give it a second chance if its only small or do they get it some anger management classes and reassess it to see if its eaten someone else or do they hire a croc psychologist to assess it,its primevil hungry cunning and dangerous may assessment would be 30/30 or 44mag or 308 rounded off.