Thread: Fishing Today

Fishing Today

Am i the only one who came home with just a headache and no Fish today !!, Rivers full of Bull and hammerhead Sharks , Oh !! Also one Shovelyy who didna do my Back any good lol..

Re: Fishing Today

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Am i the only one who came home with just a headache and no Fish today !!, Rivers full of Bull and hammerhead Sharks , Oh !! Also one Shovelyy who didna do my Back any good lol..
    Im not sure what moon phase it is today Vol but sounds like u had aterrible day amung noahs maybe that is why its quiet

Usually when i go south when the fish are there but its quiet usually means there are sharks around

Mate I have been giving the Brisbane River a good crack lately but the last 4 trips have been nothing but Catfish, Stingrays and Bull sharks. I have caught a few Thready's all over a meter in the last couple of months. Last trip was last night, was on the water at 10.30am and back at ramp at midnight. Had live prawns, mullet and mud herron out and bloody catfish would not leave me alone. I boated 35 catfish, 3 stingrays and 2 Bull sharks. At a guess the last four trips have seen 150 catfish come aboard for a visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Must be something about time of year lol. My possies are full of yorkies n gues that what they are in after??..
    Heaps of Whiting but not even worth the measure??..
    Might need to change location ??..

I know this is stating the obvious, but as years roll on (decades actually) the fishing landscape changes, places where fish were plentiful are now full of "ugly fish" undesirable species, but, the thinking fisherman, who's prepared to "work" at it will still get fish. Unfortunately the way things are going, our grandkids will be taking photos of the great catch of Catfish and Grinners and telling stories of how grandad used to catch Snapper from his old petrol powered fibreglass boat....sad but true I think.

Just to add to the above post, we rec anglers are a funny lot, we have a "secret spot" and fish it relentlessly, even when results are zero, we still go there in hope (or habit) but pro fishermen tend to leave once catch rates start to fall (because of economics) I have just such a spot, and I reckon I haven't caught a keeper there for a couple of years, but, I still anchor there full of expectation that the good old times will return. Do fish somehow pass "danger" on to the next generation? A very popular spot near me for Kingfish was about 500m from the harbour, it was a top spot for big Kingfish every winter, but because of the location, it got hammered, day after day, now no one fishes there consistently, the Kingfish were travelling school fish, why don't they still go there? Maybe they are caught before they school up, but, maybe, somehow, they know it's not a great spot to feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just to add to the above post, we rec anglers are a funny lot, we have a "secret spot" and fish it relentlessly, even when results are zero, we still go there in hope (or habit) but pro fishermen tend to leave once catch rates start to fall (because of economics) I have just such a spot, and I reckon I haven't caught a keeper there for a couple of years, but, I still anchor there full of expectation that the good old times will return. Do fish somehow pass "danger" on to the next generation? A very popular spot near me for Kingfish was about 500m from the harbour, it was a top spot for big Kingfish every winter, but because of the location, it got hammered, day after day, now no one fishes there consistently, the Kingfish were travelling school fish, why don't they still go there? Maybe they are caught before they school up, but, maybe, somehow, they know it's not a great spot to feed?
    Think your spot on the money there too Noel , I do have my favourite little Spots for what i mostly like to chase each year and they turn up the goods come the right time or when the fed builds up again.
    Rivers here run with prawns at the run out tide and yes certain species are the waiting for them and in turn so are we ..
    This time of year Sharks have always been a pain in the butt with this year a tad more so than normal and its a game of re-rigging consistently, cussing ,and moving to other Rivers or fav possies to find them waiting there also.
    Dont like travelling lond distances with my present Rig so keep to the same ole same ole mostly.
    Did go further afield chasing Grunter earlier on in the peace yesterday to find heaps of logs n snags (no not Sausages now occupying those possies and one would have thought there would have been good life awaiting to be hooked up but ZILCH ,NUDDA!!..
    Never mind they will be there next time im sure ..

Volvo it is that time of the year, you are right. PRAWNS are on and the catfish are filling up and the same happens each year where I fish. Your also right about the amount of sharks this year as I have not caught so many. The other night I boated 15 bull sharks ranging from 60 cm to 1.5m all on live mullet. With the fresh water running so are the mullet and have no trouble catching live bait but bull sharks are there for the same reason. Once the prawns get washed out into the bay all the other crap goes also and can get back to some good sessions. One thing I noticed last Saturday afternoon/night was a water surface temperature of 31.5 and dropping off to 28.6 at night. I must say this was the night the bull sharks fell in love with my live mullets. I can honestly say I have never seen that temperature before in the river.