Thread: Timing belt for yamaha f115

Timing belt for yamaha f115

My motors (f115) are due for the timing belts to be replaced.
    Is it worth doing it yourself?
    What's a reasonable price for a dealer to do?
    Thanks

Re: Timing belt for yamaha f115

Timing belts areI simple to someone that has done one or two before but a 115hp is not an engine to start on, 1 hours labour $120? Or several hundred into the thousands if your off a few teeth on a whole head recondition

If you do it your self once the new belt is on turn the crankshaft by hand in the d irection the flywheel spins at lease 4-5 revolutions recheck timing and if it ever stops turning by hand dont force it, pull the belt back off and check

Best to set your number 1 piston at TDC and mark your camshaft pullley with a white texta on the timing markers

I've done cars, but looks a bit involved with making the flywheel not come loose. Quoted a bit over 800 for impellor, belt and tensioner for each motor.

I havent done a yamaha 115hp but i have done heaps of bikes and cars timing belts and chains, i usually have a quick look at the lobes on the no: 1 cylinder just to make sure there at 10 o clock and 2 o clock (both pointing away from each other) but working on my mercury 90 efi 4 stroke the timing lobes were in reverse to any other engine i have worked on which was tricky... if i had never takin notice of lobe positions it could have quiet easily gotten out of hand and serverely damaged the cylinder head

Usually on multi cylinder engines the cam lobes on number 1 cylinder are pointing 10 o clock and 2 o clock (away from each other) well when i mentioned my mercury my number 1 cylinder cam lobes were pointing towards each other which is a rare set up the way there pointing so just pay extra caution if u do it your self

I think that motor requires a bit of other odds and ends to be removed first? Do you have a service manual? It's not hard, you just need to take your time and triple check the timing marks remain lined up, or, just take it to a reputable repair place.

Are we not allowed to post dollar values of services on here?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ichanged the belts on my twin f115 yamahas a while back. The cost dealers charge is insane, not to mention the part cost of genuine yamaha stuff in australia. its ludicrous.
    from memory i was quoted around $450 for the two belts + labour. so be lucky to get out of it for under $1200 for the pair.
    I ended up buying genuine belts off amazon for about $45 each. the change is super easy. Simply remove the fly wheel and tensioner and chuck em in. its a very very easy job.
    But when you put the flywheel back dont use any lubricant or they can slip off, keep everything nice and dry as they are taper locks. Or slap some lock-tight on.

Id suggest taking off your intake manifold aswell and give your VST a good clean. also clean up the intake manifold as they get bit crusty. something that should be done every 500h IMO

The first series F115 EFI are excellent to work on. Plenty of resources on Youtube showing how to change the timing belt. Flex is on the money, take your plugs out and just make sure all your marks are in the correct position before you remove the tensioner and pay attention to the tensioner adjustment. Make sure its bearing is still good as well. I would do the injectors as well while it was down. The VST is a super pain in the arse but, really shitty place they put it behind the manifold.