Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

Lets hear them , something put a smile or amusement on the site. or what stood out more so then than now regarding the Fishing you remember.
    More fish , more relaxed in doing so , more accessible to your favourite possies / areas.
    Was there a father n Son relationship with your Fishing ??.
    Rod n reel or handline Fishing , Could you afford a Rod n reel ??.

Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

One of my most memorable moments comes from when I was 10 yrs old at the beach near the grand hotel before the seaway was installed catching bream from the beach near charis seafood on yabbies pumped from the beach straight out the front of the house we used to rent , I remember catching a Jewie on my hand line from this spot on a yabbie my da said it was 5 kg . Fishing has been something I have always done since I can remember . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Was a Brissy kid but my parents had a permanent caravan down at Loders Creek Caravan Park.Apart from fishing in Dads boat, I got my first boat of my own when I was in Grade 5, row powered but I was allowed to go and fish anywhere near the main Yabbie banks in front of the caravan park. Loved the adventure and I think my love for solo fishing probably goes back to spending weekends rowing that tinnie out - whiting, flatties, tailor and winter bream. Later as I teen I saved and bought myself a second hand 12 foot clarke tinnie with a 15hp and become a bit of a fishing grommet and was allowed anywhere in the Broadwater as long as I didnt go near the bar.

So many, where to start. How about catching tailor off the estuary down Yamba way on handline. Our whole family was into it, putting together a great feed for a dinner cook up.

Good topic Volvo
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 09-02-2021 at 12:18 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Got millions of great memories, probably one that stands out as memorable is as a little kid in an old "putt putt" heading out to sea, curled up in the bow on an old "sugar bag", starting the old motor was an event in itself, dad would bring the fuel in an old soft drink bottle, connect up this gizmo to the engine (magneto for spark) put a little lever down on top (valve lifter) rock the flywheel back and forth with his foot, then give it a hard kick, flip the lever, adjust another gizmo (throttle I guess) and it would start this rhythmical putta putta chug, putta putta chug that would shake the boat, put the rudder in its little hooks, put in the old hardwood tiller, that doubled as a "donger" to subdue anything that was big and came over the side, good times indeed.

So many memeories ey , my first introduction and one of the very few times if there were a few that i Fished with my Father was a Boarder he had living in our house asked dad if he wanted to go Fishing and offcourse i was asked to tag along.
    Think they spent the bit of the previouse day peeling and pickling their Prawns in a jar with the trip being to the Hot water Outlet at Tallawarra Power Station Chasing Silver Bream .
    Winter and Soooo Cold at night waiting for them to come into the outlet , which i think they did from the Lake adjacent to Spawn?? or whatever ?? but i was hooked from the start with many a memory created from there after .
    One thing that stands out that i often still look for when Fishing down south or outside waters here , was waiting for the Birds (Seagulls etc ) Swags of them Divinginto the briney for a feed as a School of tailor , Tuna or whatever was chasing
    A School of baitfish and i would be ready on a Huge Slab on said Breakwall with two handlines ..One for Tailor and one For Huge Silver Bream which would follow beneath the tailor chasing remnents of their Kill .
    No.4 or 6 jetty Inner Harbour Port Kembla chasing yakkas off the wharf and a couple of handlines with a live Yakka in the quest of hooking a John Dory or two which did reside down dep betwen the pylons .
    How may a pushbike peddle down Aurburn St , left into Swan St , past the cemetary , cut across Sprinhill Rd and left into Port kembla Rd to the Northern Breakwall .
    Which offcourse was accesible then not like nowadays that its a no no either due to Workplace health n safety of for fear of terrorism or such!!??.
    Fish the Oil Jetty for yakkas and then across onto a Slab on the Breakwall waiting for the above mentioned Fish to start working ..
    Haitail Runs of the same breakwall which only recently i read of someone querying hairtail..
    That Tallawarra Powerstation was one a Cold place to Fish nightime so one must have been either keen or have rocks in their noggin to do so lol..
    But thats Fishing or the craze of it ey ..
    So May more hard thinking which

Tallawarra is long gone as you would have known it, there is some kind of "green energy" setup there now, still making electricity, but not as it was, just experimental kind of, I was just off there this morning crabbing, the lake still fishes OK.

Yep correct , initial reason for moving to Queensland was get my Tickets n come back home and get a job there lol , but found ssooooo many more Newsouthwellshmen living up here thought must be something worthwhile staying here
    For n here i am still here today.
    Twas the Fishing me thinks ey , though i did leave behind some nice Jewie , Trag n Snapper spots that i think it would be nice to head back towing a Tinny see if they still hang around waiting fer a wee Chat about old times lol..

For me, my my most memorable childhood fishing experience was our annual family pilgrimage to Yeppoon / Emu Park in central Queensland for our Christmas holidays in the 60's. Dad would build a new wooden boat from marine plywood, usually 12-14 feet long during the year and we would take it to Kemp beach camping and fish the rocky headlands or the causeway lake. I can remember catching my first fish with a small rod reel combo, Dad said it was a salmon. I still have the original rod and reel for any grandchild that may want to take up fishing. I can also remember catching hugh mud crabs in the local creeks and having to jump up on the seat when Dad would empty the pots onto the boat floor. I guess any mud with large nippers looks pretty big to a 10 year old. Dad would sell the boat at the end of each year to cover the cost of the trip and we would do it all again the next year. I think he built around 6-8 boats during my primary school years. Cheers SS.

When we went fishing in the old putt putt, as soon as we left the harbour, the spinners would go out, a single big hook, with some sheet lead wound around the shank, and some white seagull feathers tied on with thin fishing line, put out on thick cord lines, most times we would have fresh bait within a few hundred yards, Bonito, Stripies or something always turned up, every now and then a big Kingfish or Tuna would get on, dad would curse and yell, while trying to subdue a huge fish on the thick cord, he often put it around his bum to add some weight to stop the fish

Not when i was knee high to a grasshopper but remember my first Boat , a 14ft brooker i bought for $1200 i think it was . Credit Union Loan ex Johnny Lysaghts , was afternoon shift n felt the urge to wet a line so talked the Missus into making a few sangas whilst i hooked up the Boat and off we went .
    Just got through the North n South Breakwall entrance and there was Birds n Gulls Diving and working from aceholes ta breakfast time everywhere . Could see the Tuna comming out of the water everywhere also , so like Noels Spinners n Plastic spoons /Plugs in no time we ended up with Tuna halfeway up to our knees!!.. Now what the feck we gunna do with all these ?? ..
    had Tuna Brined down for Bait and for entree feed us for the next year or so lol.
    Shame we didna know what Sheeshami was back then.
    Caused me a late entry into Afternoon shift too it did , luckilly i had a good mate i had to relieve and i owed him a few hours in lue..

I have always lived on the water, and behind our house was a small estuary (Little Lake or Elliott Lake) my mate and I used to catch poddy mullet and "troll" them behind our old wooden, clinker row boat, one would row, one would hold the line, now and then a bloody great Eel would take the bait and we had a hell of a time trying to land them on our old hand lines, usually we would row to shore and both pull like buggery to get them in, then jump on them once we had them in the shallows.

I grew up fishing with my father in Far North Queensland. Mostly estuary fishing out of the family's 12ft Brooker tinny (which is still in my garage). Most days fishing involved collecting bait near the river mouth with a drag net It was croc country but my father would send us wading out on the end of the net using either of his 2 theories of croc safety - 1 - if you can see a croc nearby it is safe to go in the water as they are territorial so there won't be another one about or 2 - can't see any crocs it will be safe. After that is was bait fishing for all the usual tropical species. Kids were allowed a rod and reel but Dad used a handline for everything and fished up to 3 lines of various size at he same time. When I was in late primary school we bought a 17ft half cab so then we would venture out around the islands and sometimes to the reef although most reef trips were reserved for dad and his mates.

Cheers Matt

Dad worked long, hard hours for us. His relaxation time was rare and for the most part was spent out on the boat.

That's why I'm restoring her, cost and sense be damned. She holds some of my best memories.

Spending weeks at Farmers Point on Facing Island as a kid in the 70's, left largely to my own devices.
    Hours and hours wandering all over my Island - as it seemed all mine at the time.
    In the late afternoon, bream and whiting off the sand or sweetlip off the reef 40 yards out - eaten that night.