Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Fishing the Hawksbury river in our 4.5m boat catching bream, flathead and soapies
    And what a beutifull part of the World that is , used to take the occasional drive up to Colen Candle if spelt correctly ??, loved it there and if Money wasnt a problem where i would have retired..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    How does that work Chris...?

When I was a kid jagging mullet, when they were running, was a thing near the old bridge in Bulahdelah...

One of my best memories was catching my first legal fish all by myself, which was a flounder off a sandbar at Hat Head when I was about 6....I also still have the rod 46 years later...

and geez you old fellas are showing your age..!.....Free milk and thripences.....I wasnt even born then....
    We would just walk along the shallows and when we saw something we just slashed at the fish or bait schools like wielding a cane i think we used wire thicher than 8gauge we either stunded them or cut them in half but it was fun and we got our bait.

G,Day
    Grew up in Ramsgate, on the shores of Botany Bay. Great memories of almost all weekends. Saturday arvo was reserved for pumping for nippers ( or yabbies , depending where you come from.) This involved Mum ,Dad ,Brother, Me and last but not least our sixteen year old fox terrier.
    Sundays saw us all, except for our foxie, in the Chevy towing the old Quinny to the ramp at Kogarah Bay five minutes from home.
    Might be looking back through rose coloured glasses, but can never remember coming home empty handed.The rations on board was always the same. Salmon and onion sandwiches, followed by fruit slices for afters. Drink of choice was either Tab or Tresca.
    Usual catch was made up of Flatties , bream, Trevs,whiting etc. Bag limits were strictly enforced, not the ones set by authorities, the ones set by the old man.No fish was ever frozen in our house. You were only allowed to keep what we planned on consuming that night.
    The only exceptions to this was, a couple of fish for Nan , or neighbours.
    Shit , only now , looking back , I realise how lucky we were to have that time with our parents doing what we all loved.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    How many got the free small bottles of milk at School ?? , one at morning play n one at lunch lol.
    We had to pay for milk in primery school late 80's beginning of 90's $2.20 use to buy my lunch ameat pie with sauce and a 600mls chocolate milk

Memories of 1990 me my mum andmy cousin i was about 9 years old sitting under the harbour bridge in sydney fishing next to a really old middle eastern man and his wife, the old man and wife were leaving he was about to toss his bait but asked if we would like it i had no idea what it was turns out it was sun dried worms from memory they were blood worms i put one on and from memory caught two leather jackets the old man and his wife walked off 20 meters andlooked back with a big smile on his face he was trying to get his wifes attention to show her we used hes bait and caught a fish

Pretty savageplace to fish tho i went to the peirs in 1991 with my older brother i chucked aline in and a asian lady went ####ing bezerk at me i was just alittlekid i wanted to throw her in but i settled down and we left the peir and snuck into the next peir over that was locked up there were homeless people sleeping and standing around a fire on the wooden peir there where afew holes in the peir burnt strait thru the floor boards, i was only 10 back than and it was my first seight of homeless people

It has openend my eyes at such a young age i respect the elderly i respect the homeless and im just thankful for what i have in life and the roof i have over my head

Three quickies.
    Walking across The Entrance Bridge & jumping into the little 'side pockets' to let the cars go past.
    Fishing on the stink pipe over Cooks River between Tempe & Kyeemah.
    Fishing under the ferry wharf when the Manly ferries hit the brakes to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    G,Day
    Grew up in Ramsgate, on the shores of Botany Bay. Great memories of almost all weekends. Saturday arvo was reserved for pumping for nippers ( or yabbies , depending where you come from.) This involved Mum ,Dad ,Brother, Me and last but not least our sixteen year old fox terrier.
    Sundays saw us all, except for our foxie, in the Chevy towing the old Quinny to the ramp at Kogarah Bay five minutes from home.
    Might be looking back through rose coloured glasses, but can never remember coming home empty handed.The rations on board was always the same. Salmon and onion sandwiches, followed by fruit slices for afters. Drink of choice was either Tab or Tresca.
    Usual catch was made up of Flatties , bream, Trevs,whiting etc. Bag limits were strictly enforced, not the ones set by authorities, the ones set by the old man.No fish was ever frozen in our house. You were only allowed to keep what we planned on consuming that night.
    The only exceptions to this was, a couple of fish for Nan , or neighbours.
    Shit , only now , looking back , I realise how lucky we were to have that time with our parents doing what we all loved.
    Shawn
    Shawn, ties I grew up in the same area. We didn’t have a boat, but occasionally went fishing with a mate and his dad. They fished a lot in the oyster leases near Towra (not allowed but we did) and caught monster bream from memory and then off the point at Towra for a feed of flathead on the way home. Also many times set the witches nets off Towra and plenty of blue swimmers.

In fact I still set witches hats in the bay, but no longer live at Ramsgate.

Memories

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I grew up fishing the pin with my dad in our v16c Haines. Dad upgraded from our 146 easy rider to the Haines in 79. The Haines was huge compared to the easy rider and dad kept that boat until he died. We then sold it to mate of mine who only sold it a couple of years ago. Anyway, we’d launch at Walkers and pump yabbies on the way to Crusoe or Tiger Mullet. We’d fish the night with the yabbies or mullet gut/flesh and usually get a feed of bream. Probably the most memorable session was one winter we got a bag of 25 bream with a total weight of 12lb. Amongst that bag were two 2lb models. Dads was 42cm and mine 41cm. We fished with long wippy rods and Alvey side casts. I still use those same rods today, but usually when chasing dart in the surf. Speaking of dart, we’d also anchor in the Bedroom and walk over to the surf to fish for dart. Great days. My boys are 6 and 8 and I am taking them out chasing whiting on the bay as often as I can.

Fishing at night as a kid off the Tallebudgerra bridge with dad & grandad.
    It was a two lane wooden structure back then with little traffic. (Now who's showing their age?)
    Cane rods and alveys chasing bream etc.
    Grumpy old grandad was a tad deaf (and thoroughly enjoyed a stiff rum or 5) and would always bait up with his rod tucked under his arm with the tip pointing across the bridge.
    I forget how many times we warned him a car was coming, but passing cars broke a few of his rods, with my father telling me never to repeat those words he used.
    Always seemed to catch a feed no matter where we went.
    So many more memories I think I could write a book.
    The fishing/boating gene has been in the blood for generations, and is still getting passed on .. creating lifelong happy memories and strengthening bonds.

Nothing quite compares hey.

Cheers
    Gurn

Speaking of grandad, as a young kid, for the life of me, I could never figure why he and my father were good mates.
    Dad always referred to him as "Ratshit George".

After many years and fishing trips, it finally dawned on me that grandad always fished his alveys with the ratchet on.
    So it was really "Ratchet George".

... I think..??

And a related memory from my fathers youth.

His fishing apparatus was a length of dowel, a short length of cord, and a kidney shaped piece of ply painted white on one side and black on the other.

The cord was tied to the end of the dowel, threaded thru 2 holes in the ply so it would float white side up with the baited hook below.
    When a fish struck, the ply would flip over.

He walked the rocky banks of the Brissy river at night watching the ply drift just out from the rocks, catching big bream.
    When the sugar bag was half full, he'd go home with a meal for his parents to cook up for his family.
    Said it never took too long.

Did it tuff back then, eh?

Great reading...Some cool stories and memories there blokes ..

seems the common theme is time spent with with family..

Its hard for me to have an actual standout memory as my dad ran a small fishing club out of Bulahdelah for years back in the 70's and early 80's when I was a kid ..

Used to fish at various times out of Hat Head, Crowdy head where we had an onsite van parked to spend weekends and holidays at Harrington...Foster and out of Port Stevens were also sometimes visited..dad being a teacher meant plenty of time off and the v8 Charger was always packed and the boat was ready to go by the time the bell rang Friday afternoons..

Dad upgraded from a 15 ft Seafarer to a 20 foot one when I was quite young..

He was also treasurer of the local watering hole ,the bowls club, and much of the excess Snapper and other fish was done up into meat trays with oysters from a mates farm in Karuah and prawns as well..some great memories picking prawns out of nets at Mungo Brush as well...they used to get the oysters in big hessian bags and opening them was a great excuse for an afternoon on the p!ss...

These were raffled off and proceeds used to help pay for trophies and prizes, dinners, functions and alcohol...

My mum really enjoyed the fishing as well though she wasnt much of a drinker...plenty of the other blokes wives and a few other kids would attend functions and drinking sessions as well..us kids would always try and get up to some sort of mischeif....happy times indeed...

Lots of fishing, good times, and geez, teachers and fishermen, they sure knew how to drink..