Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

First ever tailor off the beach at Fraser with Dad.

Getting grabbed by the back of the shirt as I was going over the side attached to large trickys off Innisfail with Dad and my Uncle.

Sandies in the bay with Dad and Pa.

And a bit later than teenage but with one of the blokes in this thread we laid waste to the older generation who were going to show us how to fish the creek!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Spending weeks at Farmers Point on Facing Island as a kid in the 70's, left largely to my own devices.
    Hours and hours wandering all over my Island - as it seemed all mine at the time.
    In the late afternoon, bream and whiting off the sand or sweetlip off the reef 40 yards out - eaten that night.
    My first memory of fishing although I wasn’t allowed to fish was living in Rosecliffe street at high gate hill ,we had a house on the river and it was a steep property down to the river and my dad used to fish down there with his alley and rod and a long neck . I wasn’t allowed down because they where worried about me falling in the river ,I was about 4-5 .
    He used to catch cat fish and give them to his Greek mates .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Camping solo saturday nights on the Pine River when i was 8.
    Jack.

Talking about Greek Mates lol, may have allready spun this one but what the heck .
    Group of us in the neighberhood , Greek , Italian and offcourse Aussie kids.
    No Ipads or TV Games or let alone a TV in some loungerooms.
    All keen Fishos and sidestreet Cricketers , all owned a pushbike for tracking the Country or that ride out to the inner Harbour for a fish , backpack or shopping bag with our food n tackle and our trusty homemade slingshots !!, did i mention the slingshots ??.
    Yes i did.
    Anyhow the Inner Harbour around NO.4 & 6 Jetties mostly catered for Cargo Ships which again were mostly Asian , Indian and an occasional Greek Ship.
    Dont know if you have watched the King Kong Movie recent one and the type of Cargo ship filmed in that Movie.
    Well most Cargo ships then were of that size with outhouses right up the ace end of the ship or should i say astern.
    Did i mention the slingshots !!??. , yep i did ..
    Well this small band of jetty rats would mostly stick together and close by incase a good fish was caught and a lending hand was needed , as well as like quite often close by one would see or hear a good Splash just to see a blind mullet or two come floating to the surface !!.
    All heads would look up and blow n behold these outhouses had these round openings where the tennent must squat to empty ones bowels.
    No flushing system of nowaday and tellyawhat!!, dont know what these merchant Seamen were fed or what afrodesiac they took but the ball bags that hung down from these outhouses ( did i mention the slingshots ??..) must have sagged down a foot or so or so it seemed !!.
    All hands to the yakka catch , each cut a yakka head off , left hand steady , slingshot pouch armed , drawn back , and four or five yakka heads flying high and some yelling n screaming come a direct hit not to mention four five pushbikes with tyres hardly touching the ground lol.
    Always armed n ready these jetty rats were lol.
    Nowdays wede get shot fer that , then a more than good kick up the acehole with a size ten or so would have us favouring one side when limping to School.
    But memories of yesteryear , fishing memories that is lol.

Google maps is showing my route from bonnyrigg to chipping norton lake as 11.7km but i use to take the long route more so around 15kms each way i was 12 years old use to tie my fishing rods to my bike frame and ride there every saturday amd sunday, arrive there around 7:30am home bound about 3pm

That was a long 60km distance ride for a 12 year old kid my legs were all muscle so much my legs looked like i played soccer 6 hours a day 5 days a week i had huge legs and i was only a little skinny kid probably weighed about 40kilos

I was determined to go fishing i use to catch mullet, bream, flatties, whiting, gars ludrick but i gave it up when i was 13 and went into hibernation

Later in life getting back in to squid fishing when i was 28

As a kid it was fun but i was that young i never understood about the dangers being robbed or worse... being only 12 lucky i was never robbed or raped

A bunch of about 20 asian guys in there mid to late teens did come down one day and picked up my bmx bike they started to walk off with it but one of the other boys told him to put it back

Some weekends i would meet up with a school friend and his brother and fish the day together

riding with my mates to flick lures for brown trout in victorias streams , ten mile creek near Thorpdale . may them fighting browns never give up

Jagging mullet off the shorncliff pier at 10 years old with kmart spinning rods I still don't no how they stood up to it and cashed in coke bottles to buy the hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Jagging mullet off the shorncliff pier at 10 years old with kmart spinning rods I still don't no how they stood up to it and cashed in coke bottles to buy the hooks.
    Coke Bottles , Beer Bottles n Golf Balls ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Coke Bottles , Beer Bottles n Golf Balls ..
    Yer Volvo got us kids some fun when you had to make your own fun as long as you were home before the street lights come.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Yer Volvo got us kids some fun when you had to make your own fun as long as you were home before the street lights come.
    Street light !!~??, wede be back out afterwards playin Hide n seek , tag , or whatever so long as we didnt have to hit the farter early lol..

Lol.... remember many times breaking the BMX land speed record trying to get home before the street lights came on....after one too many Space Invaders games at the chippie.
    No helmet either
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bottleyards where one would roll up with their billycart full of empty tallies would put most Simms Scrap Metal Yards ta shame in size nowadays.
    Hapenny fir empty tallies, threepence for empty small coke bottle , sixpence for medium cokebottle n a bob ta two bob for the large cokebottles.
    Yet we managed to make our own pocketmoney and appreciate its worth.
    Two bob git you jnto the flicks n four bob would get you jn along with your munchies.
    Those were the years My Friend , we thought theyd never end .
    Da da etc etc l oo l.

Pre decimal Volvo...showing your age. Only sixpences I ever saw were in a plum pudding.
    I'll take this opportunity to thank you for starting this thread in shall we say....trying times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Lets see how many onboard remember the tin Comonwealth green Moneyboxes lol , that may show ones age .
    Still have a few sixpences n halfepennies as well as pennies laying about somewhere ??.

I remember the Commonwealth money boxes but I'm not old enough to have pennies etc.

Matt