Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cooktown fishing

Cooktown fishing

Heading back to Cooktown for another tourist season so now this being my 3 rd year heading up that way I thought I’d put a post in relation to what to expect , local knowledge is your friend up this way and realising that weather plays a massive part in fishing I thought I would give a bit of a rundown on may experiences in recent times . Cooktown is windy 7 months of the year especially from the end of March on till about September and I mean windy consistently where you won’t get out of the Endevour river in anything other than a trawler or a large fishing vessel , so fishing the rivers and creeks are the go to at these times . A lot of locals still fish the wharf as it’s out of the wind and you can catch a large array of fish from this point on any given day ,everything from bream ,trevally , jacks , Barra ,and mackerel depending on the clarity which is usually clear as . Most of the locals use herring which are easily obtained most of the time useing a cast net or bait jigger which is my preferred method as I only want 8-10 per session and more are available if you want them ,cast netting for them is almost a sure thing if you want to gather enough for a few sessions and use them as dead bait later . A live bait bucket with a airbubbler is a great idea or alive bait bucket with a rope attached is the local way of keeping them alive and anymore than 8-10 in the bucket will see most of them die . Most people explore the areas of river in the Lakefield National park during the windy times for Barra and jacks and they can be prolific early in the windy season at least before nettles get in and rape these areas ,permits are required for camping in this spectacular area and are available at the parks and wildlife building just out of town heading towards hopevale permits are a must and they do patrol the area looking for illegal campers and fisherpeople . PLEASE BE AWARE THAT HEAPS OF CROCS inhabit the creeks and rivers up this way ,always be croc aware they are sneaky buggers trust me I have seen them heaps of times and some are massive . The Lure Shop in Cooktown is a great source of local information and are more than willing to give you tips on where and how to catch the fish of a lifetime in this area, they also do shooting trips similar to a charter if your into that sort of thing . Off shore action is spectacular in the fishing season up that way and you don’t have to travel far to get the smiles but it’s not going to happen unless you get up their before the wind comes up or until the wind dies of later in the year as stated above . Cooktown has plenty of camping and caravan facilities where you can stay but most downtown have midges and mozzies that can be really bad at times , I stay at the Cooktown Caravan Park and it is about a kilometre from town but midge and mossie free as it’s always windy which makes for a cooler stay , I personally would leave the big boat at home and bring a decent sized tinnie up here during the winter months as you won’t get out off shore and you will only leave with disappointment in your mind as I’ve seen heaps of times now .
    Did I say be CROC aware at all times near the water as some are monsters and there are lots of them . If you are going up this year I personally would make a booking ahead as they are going to be busy with the Cooktown festival this year and pre bookings are out the window hence why we are going up early this year ,most parks can deal with campers as in finding a spot to throw your tent or awnings but be aware the place is windy and plenty of ropes and pegs are recommended.
    I will leave it at that for now but yeah I can’t wait as I will be back up in a couple of weeks and will get a couple of offshore trips in before the mighty Cooktown winds arrive , In closing I will say that it can be frustrating catching some days as anywhere but when it’s on hang on because the fish are spectacular and some of the action I have seen and been involved in is nothing short of unbelievable .
    I won’t get into fishing tackle as it’s too long winded and everyone has different ideas but all I will say is watch and speak to locals and your catch rate will be much better .
    Thanks for reading I hope it’s of some help to the people who love to fish and want to get into some less explored and exploited areas of this great country . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Cooktown fishing

Fantastic post Matt..

After recently going through Ryan Moodies Wonky hole course it seems Cooktown/Cape Bedford is the area along the GBR where the wonkie holes start closet to the mainland.

Which means if you are willing to put in a bit of time searching you could end up with some great inshore fishing marks for Nannies, Trout, Cod and others.

As Matt mentions being so windy limits winter reef trips so having a few of these inshore honeyholes would be perfect for a quickly morning trip out if you ever get a couple of hours before the Sou -easter picks up..

According to Ryan he has found them in as close as 2-3 Kms offshore from Cape Bedford..

Bathymaps gives some good indications of where to look..

Going by some of Matts red photo's it seems he already knows where some of these sweet spots are...

Thanks Disorderly,yes bathymaps is a great app and the bloke I go with uses it all the time to find the wonky holes and nearly always have great success I believe a lot of the sounder manufacturers have these same maps on their units now but my mate uses his on an iPad then transfers the marks to his lowrance and they do produce the goods . Matt

This link will give you an outline on weather and wind conditions for Cooktown https://weatherspark.com/y/144309/Av...lia-Year-Round

I will use Cooktown as a jumping off point for a Lizard Island trailer boat marlin. When I don't know, but it is the dream!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I will use Cooktown as a jumping off point for a Lizard Island trailer boat marlin. When I don't know, but it is the dream!
    Yeah it’s ideal for that sort of thing at the end of the year that’s when they run the marlin comps and charters ,I’m hoping we get up to lizard this year as the bloke I go with was talking about it when I left last year .

Cooktown fishing

@bluefin. Great information supplied in this post. I just wish it wasn’t so far away. Could handle some fishing in those waters, minus the wind.

One day

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    @bluefin. Great information supplied in this post. I just wish it wasn’t so far away. Could handle some fishing in those waters, minus the wind.

One day

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Thank you ,the only reason I put it up was the last couple of years up their I noticed a lot of people who come to fish don’t understand the weather and seasons thing and I thought I would share some real time information that is recent . Matt

Brilliant posts and what this site all about. Thanks fellas .

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Brilliant posts and what this site all about. Thanks fellas .
    Exactly that’s what it’s all about and always has been , if you go back to past threads that I have started over the years I also have shared information that at times has been to my detriment but sharing information is what I have done . Hopefully when others look for information on fishing this outstanding place they will have some sort of idea what to expect , I have now seen so many people come up to Cooktown with high expectations and leave with boats and fridges empty because they don’t understand what it takes to have the trip of a lifetime with memories that will stay with you forever . I hope it helps one person to enjoy the place as much as I do now , 3 weeks and I will be their again . Matt

maybe when this Covid is well n truly in the dust n i can hook up the Van again ??.

Have a look north of two islands this area is full of the biggest wonkies I've ever seen on a sounder and not far from cooktown.

Looking forward to catching up late May , Matt. Thanks for the info in the post.

I'll try to book in a site as soon as I know dates.

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Looking forward to catching up late May , Matt. Thanks for the info in the post.

I'll try to book in a site as soon as I know dates.

cheers Phill
    Looking forward to having a beer and a chat . Matt

Cooktown fishing

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/__data/...nyirru-map.pdf
    Lakefield national park , Hahn crossing came up in conversation a number of times and 5mile permits from National parks and wildlife I believe .

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/r...efield/camping
    Permits here