Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cooktown fishing

Cooktown fishing

In this area away from the actual reef , you need to use your sounder to find the small differences in the sandy patches .
    At one stage one bloke was just dehookiing and dispatching the fish to get the best out of them ,you can’t afford to have them flopping around on the deck with hand lines around it just turns into a nightmare of tangled lines . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Cooktown fishing

Any spare room in your Boat lol ??..

Cooktown fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Any spare room in your Boat lol ??..
    Ah seats are limited and weather dependent apparently a few more trips are on the cards before the mighty Cooktown winds arrive , I’m the decky so my seat is safe apparently and others are usually customers from the park that the owner invites out . If your here you may well get a spot but you never know till the morning we are going he doesn’t give any notice it’s we’re going fishing today matty so I just jump in , I love the North Queensland style . It’s a bloody big day he goes out all day then you have to clean an 8 mt boat top to bottom and put all the fish on ice so they are covered then filleting for 2 hrs and cleaning up the next day . Matt

My fillets haven't arrived yet......they must be still on the truck??

Yeah, Fishing the reef sure is a bloody big day (or 2 if an overnighter..)

I dont often take "deckies" out because most of them prefer to be "passengers"..they really enjoy the trip, and fishing and snorkeling but very few enjoy the before and after parts....

So with anyone I consider taking on trips we first usually do a half day island and inshore shoals/mackeral trip and that gives a good indication of whether or not they are "reefworthy"...

Matt, how does the skipper divide up the fish when he has some of his campers on board and do they contribute anything for fuel and bait..?

Cooktown fishing

Take what you catch and a bit more mate we share a bit of what ever you want ,I only take a tiny bit of what I catch but the freezer is always open for us mate it’s great . he dosent normally take money for fuel or anything ,I usually get a few big bags of ice and some bait or a carton of mangoes . Matt

red emperor wings

The PDR is still officially closed guys. On the 3rd April we successfully travelled from Mossman to Weipa in around 11.5 - 12hrs. This travel with good conditions should usually take 8/9hrs so take it slow and steady!!

Note: We had approved permits from the TMR (transports and main roads) and also was in contact with the cook shire.

We did get pulled over by the cops and they did check these permits!!

As of the archer river, we crossed at approximately 500mm. Highly recommend a very capable 4x4 with good clearance for this. Had 2 vehicles cross (both utes) and had a strap between us for precaution.

Didn’t run into any problems but make sure you do the right thing and be very careful. Would not drive this road if you are a newbie, experience drivers only.

We made it!!!!!

This is the latest info up this way ,we’ve been windy and wet so no fishing at the moment but a break coming through this week by the looks so we may get another run out to the reef this coming week . Have a great Easter , Matt

Thanks Matt.

We are still looking good for a mid May trip.

I understand the Jardine ferry is still out of action until mid - late April.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

More red fish yesterday ,this little fella out fished everyone using a hand line

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Thanks Matt.

We are still looking good for a mid May trip.

I understand the Jardine ferry is still out of action until mid - late April.

cheers LP
    Ferry? What Ferry?

I have used the ferry every time

Matt

NOICE..... I also see the local Charter guys are filling eskies this weekend. (y)
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Stonka fish there.

The nanni is almost as big as him...he will have some good stories to tell his mates..well done..

We spent the weekend out as well...first day was just snorkelling at a new reef in a big green zone full of trout....slow fishing that night but hot bite next morning then slow again once the tide turned..missus thought she was pretty cool getting the biggest trout...

Great weather but...and the most trailers I ever saw parked at Mission beach ramp...I almost called a taxi to take me from where I parked back to the ramp..

Amazing how popular boating seems to be becoming for all age groups....great to see...

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    More red fish yesterday ,this little fella out fished everyone using a hand line
    Great fish well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk