Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cooktown fishing

Re: Cooktown fishing

Arrived in Cooktown for an extended stay yesterday at the Cooktown caravan park .
    Hot and steamy with rain , a few good Barra are being caught from the Endevour River apparently and quit a few in the meter range , roads are closed north of Lara and north of Cooktown at the moment . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Just a normal day in the north at this time of year Matt as you very well no i hope it dosent head north and hit you lot but at least you on the right side of it for now the southen edge it all ways the worst stay safe.

Yeah it’s all good , I wanted to stop at Lucinda for a few days but it’s easy to get stuck there when it’s wet so we spent a wet night at Cardwell and headed up the range to Mareeba 2 days ago and got here yesterday for 6 months . Matt

Pretty safe at Cooktown ATM I'd reckon...Get amongst those meteries, Matt..

The dodgy weather is Innisfail south but all depends on where it decides to go in the next day or 2 as it intensifies...

We already lost power down here near Mission Beach after some huge gusts came through an hour back..

Saw some live footage from a young fella I know that was coming back from his work on Hamilton islandback to Airlie in his tinny a half hour ago...looked like fun but Quinny hornets arent really made for 25-30 knot seas...

Probably wont do an overnighter this week..it gets uncomfortable trying to sleep in 5m seas..aaaweather.jpg

Edit..2.30pm

Been gusting to 50 knots for a few hours now with plenty of torrential rain..

Our driveway is well under water and debris now..

Supposed to be turning north soon and heading up past Cairns while intensifying into a cyclone..

I hope you have some tie downs for the van, Matt...

Who knows where this sucker will end up...

IMG_2233.jpg

Looking bad for Cairns at the moment and the weather up Bamaga way is going to join it according to windy , it looks like it’s going to be a wet and windy couple of days . Moved to my permanent spot today up the back of the park where it backs onto the mountain so a bit of protection and this spot is dry , extra ropes and pegs going in this afternoon.

Nice looking setup you have there Matt and envy you in a way ..Placed my Van up for sale just recently while the market is good and do have a buyer otherwise i might have been heading up that way weather cool down a tad.
    Rode out a near cyclone with my van few years back and think what saved the Anex was i used those curly dog spikes they use for pets . Three for each corner pyramid shape and while others Anexes and Awnings ended up everywhere mine stood the test.
    If you have or can get your hands on some (Dollar Shops) ide make the effort and use them as they spiral down into the ground and hang on!!.
    You look like you have a nice spot all sorted out there also, far to the water from where you are??..
    Anyhow keep us posted and wish you well and safe ..

Stay safe up there you guys.....

Looks good Matt atleast you have a good tree and rock to tie too.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Nice looking setup you have there Matt and envy you in a way ..Placed my Van up for sale just recently while the market is good and do have a buyer otherwise i might have been heading up that way weather cool down a tad.
    Rode out a near cyclone with my van few years back and think what saved the Anex was i used those curly dog spikes they use for pets . Three for each corner pyramid shape and while others Anexes and Awnings ended up everywhere mine stood the test.
    If you have or can get your hands on some (Dollar Shops) ide make the effort and use them as they spiral down into the ground and hang on!!.
    You look like you have a nice spot all sorted out there also, far to the water from where you are??..
    Yeah double roped and some big arse pegs in now ,saw out the edge of a cyclone 2 years ago up here it just landed north of us .
    Sounded like a train coming over the hill ,the wind was horrendous but our setup stayed solid so it should be all good . Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    1 Km from the wharf and town and no midges or mozzies , looks like it’s heading away all the flood watches for the rivers up this way where cancelled this morning . Matt

Well dont ferget to upload the fishing pics ..

Had a great day out today fishing Cooktown

Yeah not even one bit jealous ...much...

Were they on the chew Matt..?

and was that an inshore trip or did you get out to the reef..?

Inshore out amongst some ground on the inner reefs ,about an hour and a half run home . I don’t know why but I’m just loving fishing with hand lines here it’s way exciting.