Thread: Old Farts n Fishing Cuts

Old Farts n Fishing Cuts

Last Thursday Missus n i went Grunta Hunting n first Fish she caught was some Huge Blubber Lip thing which looked like a cross between a Bream n Grunter ??.
    Anyhoos decided to keep it see what it was n whats it tasted like ??.
    Without going further into what was caught for the day i shall go straight to the filletting table.
    Proceeded to fillet from the shoulder back along towards the tail when the knife slips over a scale or something and ended up with a cut n a deep wound on the inside of the arm ( soft side of arm ).
    Bandaged thoroughly n tightly stop the bleeding then after all filletting finishedi unwound all the bandaging , washed and cleaned.
    In hindsight maybe i should have gone straight to the Doctors and let them clean the wound ??.
    Next day was the Doctors visit to be told what a wand wanderfull job i had done cleankng the wound.
    Asked about Antibiotics be on the safe side to be informed they werent needed.

That night wound became sore with blackush discolourisation of skin ??.
    Back to Doctors to have wound cleaned again , inspected and a script for Bacterial Infection.
    Three /four nights without a proper sleep from pain with today Kids insisting i go to Hospital get wound further inspected and X-Rayed.
    Informed to give the Antibiotics time to work and if not better in day or so get scans done of wound.
    Pain at times is quite unsettling!!n quite painfull.
    Arm is still discoloured which im told is bruising.
    So the idea of this post is for all us old Farts mostly is if you get cut whilst Filletting or Fishing , dont just think its okay and like most times in the past will heal on its own.
    Get it seen too , inconvenient i know but may save harsher inconvenience futher down the track !!.
    Hope i havent been a bore with this post .

Re: Old Farts n Fishing Cuts

How did the fish taste?
    Sounds like a Blackall.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cant remember what the Fish tasted like mate ?? Fish wasnt a Blackall have caught them before .. Had a mixture of salmon and grunter that night and dont know who got what ..
    As for the arm ?? getting a tad worse and awaiting MRI to be done ..
    Put up post mainly to bring awareness with wounds as such and at our age not to take them lightly ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Put up post mainly to bring awareness with wounds as such and at our age not to take them lightly ..
    Age doesn't have much to do with it. I'm still in my 30s and ended up having an ER visit due to walking on the garden in bare feet with an (unknown to me at the time) popped blister.

Day 0: did the damage
    Day 1: foot was sore deep inside but nothing visible outside
    Day 2: lymph node in my groin was swollen to all get out and seriously tender
    Day 3: felt off after lunch and went to bed at 4pm; woke at 6pm with 40°C fever and 125bpm resting heart rate

Went to the local after-hours GP who took one look at me and told me to get to the ED, where they confirmed blood infection (sepsis) and pumped me full of antibiotics.

All from a popped blister that I didn't even realise I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Age doesn't have much to do with it. I'm still in my 30s and ended up having an ER visit due to walking on the garden in bare feet with an (unknown to me at the time) popped blister.

Day 0: did the damage
    Day 1: foot was sore deep inside but nothing visible outside
    Day 2: lymph node in my groin was swollen to all get out and seriously tender
    Day 3: felt off after lunch and went to bed at 4pm; woke at 6pm with 40°C fever and 125bpm resting heart rate

Went to the local after-hours GP who took one look at me and told me to get to the ED, where they confirmed blood infection (sepsis) and pumped me full of antibiotics.

All from a popped blister that I didn't even realise I had.
    What happened to you happened to me when a Lad , cut my foot on a blade of paspalin grass .
    Doctor then who was a proper Doctor said it was common to get infection if one cuts themselves on paspalin grass ey ??..
    Mind you i didnt end up in Hospital as you did , But blister and antibiotics to get rid of infection.
    I Cut myself last Thursday week and last night was the worst night of pain for me and have been on antibiotics , visit to Hospital yesteday and had X-ray and awaiting app for an MRI see whats happening within the wound area.
    Arms went Blackish so effective infection there fer sure , whats worse is the Missus wont let me go Fishing till alls well n clear !!..
    Oh well save some fuel costs in the meantime lol..

That sucks. Feel for you.
    Back in the day I'm sure my brother cut himself badly to get out of filleting 200 odd winter whiting. He did about 3 before off to the doctor for stitches.
    Dr told me a while back there's bacteria in the sea that has yet to be identified. One of my kids nearly lost a finger from an infection from a shark tooth. He was cutting out the jaw but told everyone he was in hospital from a shark bite. Lol.

All the best & hope it comes good soon.