Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viper rocket launchers

Viper rocket launchers

Hi everyone.
    just after anyone’s thoughts on the good/bad on these Viper Stainless steel rocket launchers which a few marine retailers are selling.
    has anyone got one?are they well made.
    I was thinking of getting a custom one made, but these appear to be what I would end up with anyway... for half the price!
    thanks.

Re: Viper rocket launchers

Hey Teno usually half the price half the quality mate you really dont wanna be doing 100kph down the freeway and it cracks

Or your out pounding the surf and she snaps off with a coupla stellas and falls overboard

Thanks mate..I need someone to talk me out of getting one,that’s what I want to hear.

Viper rocket launcher cost $1300 when u mentioned its half the cost... half the cost of what? @ $1300 that is expensive

I have never had one made but surely a welder isnt charging $2600 to make one?

I dont like the 3 piece design it could mean its made in a cheap country china, india, maylasia and shipped over here with a price tag like that someone is getting rich

Getting decent stainless work done is not cheap, but, a custom one will fit and last forever, and not wobble all over the place.

You can upgrade the plastic feet with full alloy and they are ok but it’s all a compromise and may not fit well on your hull
    mate has one on his quintrex 5.5 cabin boat and it seems solid enough wouldnt want people hanging off it though

expect to pay 2-3k for something purpose made but with that you will get antenna nav light bases and internal pathways for wiring
    a custom one will be stronger and can have outrigger bases on them as well

I've had a ballpark quote of $2.2k for a rocket launcher + bimini top (excluding canvas) for a 16' half cabin through a well reputed Perth fabricator. 32mm for the double tube rocket launcher arch and 25mm for the rest.

I was quoted 2400+ gst
    No doubt excellent work,but.. and no canvas

Geez $2400 so i take it 20 hours fabricating and welding labour, $400 in supplies? A working day is 8 hours so does it really take aprofessional 2.5 days to fabricate and weld together a simple rocket launcher?

Based on $100 per hour labour

I would have guessed 1 day maybe 1 day 1 early morning to finish up tops

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Geez $2400 so i take it 20 hours fabricating and welding labour, $400 in supplies? A working day is 8 hours so does it really take aprofessional 2.5 days to fabricate and weld together a simple rocket launcher?

Based on $100 per hour labour

I would have guessed 1 day maybe 1 day 1 early morning to finish up tops
    Who is your supplier Gazza, $400 would just be enough to buy the main tubing for the launcher, you need tubing as separators, base plates to be made, 3 plates for aerials and lighting, rod holders to be either made or bought, 6 at around $50 each for reasonable ones as making them is labour intensive. Good quality ones expect $75 and more each.

Bending and welding is easily a full days work, usually 2 people required of you want it done in a couple of days, and once welded, grinding back any joins and polishing is quiet a few more hours work.
    And then you have to remember rent of premises, depreciation on tools etc will all add to it. Just as a round figure actual cost of labour is around 2.4 times that actually paid to an employee. Some costs include and certainly not all include, Pay Roll Tax, Super contributions, liability insurance possibly worker compensation contributions.

And yes I've watched one being made using quality SS and not cheap thin wall stuff.

You can save a lot of that cost doing it yourself but then you'd have to have outlayed a lot of money first for tooling already and have a good knowledge of working with SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

And then you have to remember rent of premises, depreciation on tools etc will all add to it. Just as a round figure actual cost of labour is around 2.4 times that actually paid to an employee. Some costs include and certainly not all include, Pay Roll Tax, Super contributions, liability insurance possibly worker compensation contributions.

Thanks Dignity..its one of my pet hates when people complain about the cost of stuff and shoot off the cost of a couple of materials as if that is the only cost of production and then make out that the business owner must be ripping them off....

Just for Gazza who has obviously never run a business to put it in perspective ....here is just a basic list of costs involved in running a basic business before you even get to the point of actually running a business which is to actually make a profit at the end once all these costs and taxes are paid...

start up.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Thanks Dignity..its one of my pet hates when people complain about the cost of stuff and shoot off the cost of a couple of materials as if that is the only cost of production and then make out that the business owner must be ripping them off....

Just for Gazza who has obviously never run a business to put it in perspective ....here is just a basic list of costs involved in running a basic business before you even get to the point of actually running a business which is to actually make a profit at the end once all these costs and taxes are paid...

start up.jpg
    I was going to find a list like yours but ran out of steam as been a busy day.
    Yes, most businesses fail because they think they can do it cheaper themselves and find that they actually lose money.

One thing I didn't mention was the grade of steel. You could use thinner walled SS but then you would need to use 304 grade due to its structural properties. If using 316 then you need thicker wall steel, more bracing etc. Oh, if only things were as simple as many people think.

You forgot to add consumables such as grinding and cutting discs/blades,drill bits etc, polishing discs and media, stainless screws, argon gas/mix and wire, non chargeble hours ie: talking to customer to get details and measurements and there are many other "hidden costs" which will all add up to the cost of the final product.

When making something for yourself it is much easier and cheaper than when making something commecially, ask yourself this, if the one you make for yourself doesn't turn out quite how you wanted it and is not 100% perfect, because it was yours, ie: say your welds weren't precision perfect and nicely polished, you would probably just accept it and just move on, If however you were a commercial manufacturer, would your customer who you are charging relatively big dollars accept it? the answer is no, and the manufacturer would have to fix or make another at his loss. All this has to be taken in to account in the final product price and they have to guarantee the product for a period of time as well.

I also have this issue when I look at something I want and see the hefty price on it and say to my self, yes I have the gear and skills and can make this for X$ less, and I just accept that if it doesn't turn out 100%, then if not, I will just live with it so long as it is functional and does the job I want as I have just saved myself heaps. If however I think that I won't be able to live with what I make or want something blingy and perfect then I just cough up the $ and get the shop made one. Businesses are there to make profit on top of all their overheads otherwise there is no point to them being there.

I don't begrudge a business for making money but the exception is when I see something that is so overly over the top price wise that the price is ridiculous. If two simlar items are made by two different companies they should be similar in price all things being equal, If however one is made much better and made out of better materials than you should understand why they charge much more. Then it's is a judgement call on whether or not to pay the asking price. Plenty of companies just want to ream you and plenty of companies give good value for your dollars. You just have to work out which way you want to go, either pay for a shop bought one or make one and live with any imperfections.

You dont charge a customer based on what bills your company needs paying...

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You dont charge a customer based on what bills your company needs paying...
    So when you line up for your dole/disabilty pension/free money handout would you like enough money to cover all of your living expenses or just your food and you can find the money to cover everything else somewhere else?

Same for a business, total operating costs are calculated and added to material/labour cost before working out the price on an item... How else do you expect a business to profit?

Dont give up your day job gazza...

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk