Thread: Run time for a Motorguide XI5 105lbs 72in 36V for 6.5m glass boat

Ausfish Bronze Member

Run time for a Motorguide XI5 105lbs 72in 36V for 6.5m glass boat

G'day,

I was perusing previous threads and couldn't seem to find what I am after; so apologies if this has already been put to bed. Please send me the link and I will leave you alone lol.

I am soon fitting a Motorguide XI5 105lbs 72in 36V to a Hooker 650PF and I am wanting to know what my run times would likely be on an average using 3 x 100ah 12v lithiums.

The boat is a centre console, 2.3m beam and will weigh around 1,700kg loaded in the water. I am wondering if 100ah would be sufficient for this motor, seeing as it wont be working particularly hard for this sized boat, and even an 80lbs would most likely be suitable. My other options would be an onboard DC to DC charger or run 120 or 150ah batteries.

What would be my expected run times, in moderate wind and current, fishing the reef with 3 x 100ahs, in Cairns (moderate tide movement)? I would like to hear feedback from those with a similar setup, and their experience with either being happy with the run time, using a DC to DC charger or running larger batteries to 120 or 150ah @ 36v/.

Thanks again guys for your insight!

Re: Run time for a Motorguide XI5 105lbs 72in 36V for 6.5m glass boat

Yeah I have that setup on my 6.7 LOA centre cab deep V plate boat that we use out of Mission beach for similar fishing (reef, wider red grounds and some trolling..)

Had it for nearly 18 months and mostly do 2 day trips and have used a max of 52 amps in a trip but once the winds get above 15 knots like a bad afternoon northerly and a decent current we generally go for a troll till it settles down a bit or drop an anchor as it starts to work the motor near the top end of the range and then the prop starts popping out of the water between wave/chop peaks....doesnt do it so much with the SE tradewinds but those northerlys can be bloody nasty steep, short period wind waves...

This may not happen as much with your hull..just not sure

We also generally anchor up around dark and pull the anchor at sunup and start using the leccy again..

I just recharge at home with this charger..

https://www.ev-power.com.au/product/chg-m-12c05a/

https://www.motorguide.com/content/d...twater_Web.pdf

42 amps at full speed so it all depends on speed settings
    a bigger motor will work less then a smaller one ie the 105 v 80 pound

I’d say at 1/3rd 6-7 hiurs the middle range 3-4 and full speed 1-3 hours of use
    also depends on type of batteries and how far down you can draw them

Ive done enough on 24 volt systems with lithiums to say - with a boat like that ...... go big on the LifePO4s - 150 amp +

The best I ve done with my Barchrusher 615 CC up your way was 8 hours spotlocking on a reasonable day - when it blew , 4-5 hours
    Now you have a bigger boat - offset by lower draw on the 36 volt system.

i'm running 100amp LiFePO4s - but will eventually upgrade to 150amp ...... That will give me a full days fishing in most conditions

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Too many variables for an accurate answer but I get around 10 - 12 hrs intermittent spot locking from 3 x 120 Ah Lithiums. Wind and current speed, wind-age of hull, displacement, trolling or spot lock, how long's a piece of string. My humble opinion is go for the biggest you can afford/fit in. Just be careful with current draw (see my previous posts).

Ausfish New Member

Hi Pm sent.

PM sent to who?

Ausfish New Member

to author of thread.

my experience
    6.7m glass 1/2 cab 36v 72in 150Lbs MotorGuide
    3 x 140amp AGM

longest use 18hrs non stop off DI overnight in 10-15 sea breeze, still seemed to have tonnes of go left in it but not sure on the amps used.

BigE

From memory - I read an article once that said (I think) that a motor guide trolling motor drew .75 amps per 1 pound of thrust in high gear.

So if this is correct a 105lb motor would draw 78.75 amps per hour.

If this is correct, and I know nothing about them, nor do I have one, but for trolling you need a decent battery bank.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums