Thread: Finally found my motor problem.

Finally found my motor problem.

Had this problem from the time I got this boat, and I think I have finally sorted out what the problem with my motor was after a couple of years of putting up with the motor momentarily dying for a split second whilst traveling, took it in a couple of times to the mechanics to sort it out but still the problem remained, it would appear after running for quite a while at high cruising speed it would then just lose power then continue as if nothing happened. I suspected a fuel issue rather than an electrical issue and mentioned it to the mechanics but with no joy. The mechanics were suggesting replacing the fuel pumps and that would have been quite and expensive and fruitless excercise, usually would only happen after hitting 4000rpm and above after about 30 minutes. I rarely sit at high revs so wasn't too much of an issue for most of the time.

Anyway the problem was the grey fuel line, they have a liner on the inside of the tube and when someone, probably the previous owner fitted a fuel water filter to the line they didn't take enough care and the liner bunched up in front of the hose connection and formed a semi blockage, which permitted enough fuel to get past to run the motor but at a certain rev range and duration there wasn't enough fuel getting past and the motor cut out.

The small bit of fuel line is just to show the liner and the longer bit of hose is the bit of hose that had the actual blockage made from the bunched up liner which caused the problem. I still have to replace the rest of the grey fuel line from the bulb to the motor but I suspect that this was the only issue. Hope this may help some else if they are having similar issues.

Cheers

Ed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Finally found my motor problem.

Unlikely this will starve a motor above 4000rpm after 30 minutes at that rev range. If it was a flow problem like this it would starve immediately the revs are reached to vacate the bowl....maybe 30 seconds to a minute after the revs are reached....not 30 minutes later.
    Jack.

Hey Ed the grey fuel line breaking down has been known for 20 years it was first found in seadoo jetskis causing alot of engine seizures early on, i've had the grey hose but i mostly had a good run only recall gumming one set of carbies back in 2001-2002

The grey hose breaks down mostly with e10 fuel the inner wall of the hose turns soft

I don't think that the hose is breaking down it's just that when it was pushed over the fitting, the liner just bunched up and formed a partial blockage, unless you are referring to that inner plastic liner going soft, as the rest of the grey material is quite hard. Anyway time will tell next time I take the boat out hopefully within a couple of weeks, will keep my fingers crossed.

Yeah the inner liner of the grey fuel line breaks down and gums up the fuel system

You should be able to find a huge amount of info on grey fuel hoses on google

Hey Ed if u want u can read this link its about they grey fuel lines http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=270043

Hi Gazza, mine wasn't an issue with gunk, purely a simple blockage of the hose by the inner liner caused by incorrect fitting to a tail barb. Either way I will be replacing all of grey line anyway.