Thread: Seafarer Trim buckling

Seafarer Trim buckling

I’m not sure if I mentioned once before, but the trim around the glovebox area of my V-Sea has started to buckle from the wood dwelling and deteriorating

Image1611032319.293158.jpg

Have thought about going to a marine trimmer to get remade, and have thought about other options to replace.

Decided, should have a go first. It took a while because if rusted bolts and deteriorating timber but finally got it off. Then the painstaking operation of removing dozens of staples from the vinyl.

I found that the plywood was deteriorating around the bolt fastening holes but in good condition to use it as a template for a new one.

I have now produced a new piece of plywood and ready to reassemble, but my question is -

Do I need to treat the plywood with something like paint or marine varnish before I attempt to re-attach the vinyl with dozens of new staples

Image1611032772.019288.jpg

Image1611032781.249252.jpg

Image1611032788.180374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Seafarer Trim buckling

I would protect it with something, even some undercoat and paint, anything has got to be better than bare timber.

Some fibreglass resin will work or plain Penetrol fairly cheap, first coat thin it out by 10% with turps to get penetration then a neat coat. It will last quite a while.

Ausfish Platinum Member

What kind of ply did you use? Actual marine ply will last in that application with nothing more than a coat of estapol, or nothing at ll. If's it's only exterior grade, I'd prime it with oil-based primer.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    What kind of ply did you use? Actual marine ply will last in that application with nothing more than a coat of estapol, or nothing at ll. If's it's only exterior grade, I'd prime it with oil-based primer.
    I used marine ply. I have some oil based primer. By the look of the original it was not coated with anything. Thanks

I would use epoxy but drill your mounting holes first so u can coat inside the hole too

Seafarer Trim buckling

For those interested or may come upon the same problem.

The surround of the glovebox area is a plywood, with a small amount of padding covered in vinyl.

I have now completed my little repair and what made it easy was the fact that the vinyl was in good condition and being a number years old had retained its perfect shape, making it easy to reapply.

The finished product.

Image1611454275.963365.jpgIMG_8066.jpgIMG_8068.jpg

Take care all and stay safe (and cool)

Looks as new