Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Haines Hunter V19C rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines Hunter V19C rebuild

Hey Dignity.

As always, sage advice.

I'm not against electric/hydraulic brakes at all - they worked amazingly well on the 24' Mustang when I towed it from Brisbane to Stanthorpe and back via Cunninghams Gap.

I just don't want to throw a couple of grand at a crappy trailer and end up with a crappy trailer with beaut brakes.

I think I'll keep the boat lightly and legally laden until I've decided what to do with it. If I keep it, that will probably mean a new trailer, which is ok...

What's the latest Giddy? and pics of the boat in the water?

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Not much action on the V19C front.
    The overheat and problem with no power was eventually solved.
    The under cowl oil tank had faulty sensor readings, which put the motor into idle limp home.
    All fixed now.

I had the mechanic run the engine up in a test tank for me, so I could see that it wasn't going to overheat again, when I commented how loud the fuel injectors were.
    The mechanic completely blew the wind out of my sails when he told me "that noise is piston slap"!

I told him to call me when he has the motor torn down...

He hasn't called yet, and now that I'm into the V15 build, I'm enjoying the extra room.
    But I have bought some beaut seat bases and new seats for the 19, so I'm quite keen to get it back.

More soon, hopefully.

Ausfish Silver Member

The saga continues.

The 250 was torn down and it had destroyed big ends (x3), ruined crank and head gasket "issues".

Everything that didn't cut the mustard was renewed, including the crank and 3 rods and pistons, and rebuilt.
    It's now ready for water test, but the hydraulic steering had completely discharged itself of oil, so it took a while to find the cause and rectify it.

You may recall that I had bought a set of fiberglass seat bases and seats a while ago which badly needed restoration. They were showing their age and needed quite a bit of work:
    IMG_3828.jpg

When I got it home and saw the condition of the El cheapo eBay EVA foam flooring, which had been left in the open for 10 months at the mechanics (!). Despite my best efforts, there was no way it was going to be able to be cleaned, so I ripped it all out:
    IMG_4708.jpg IMG_4713.jpg

and replaced it with good quality marine carpet:
    IMG_0029(1).jpg IMG_0031(2).jpg

Which is a definite improvement!

I had 4 different styles of seats to choose from, but the only ones that actually fitted with the 'glass bases were those I picked up off a bloke who was selling a pair from his "Saxdor", which is a really expensive oddly shaped European import powerboat.
    Brilliant lightweight seats with flip up thigh bolster to facilitate standing/leaning whilst driving, and a really quirky orange colour which has totally grown on me...
    Only problem, is no upholsterers can help me with more of the vinyl as it doesn't seem to be available in Australia.
    I sent an email to the Australian distributors to see if I can get a few metres to upholster the cabin cushions and the jump seats on the seat bases.

Here they are fitted to the boat:
    IMG_0034(1).jpg

Had I used the wider Haines seats, they could not be turned 180 degrees as they were too wide.

But I'm really happy with the Saxdors' and if I can't get the correct vinyl, I'll get them retrimmed.

Next - Water Test.
    Hopefully this coming week...
    Attached Images Attached Images

There’s nothing more satisfying than too launch it after the rebuild……. don’t forget the bungs…….. and don’t forget to tie your anchor rope to the boat enjoy your hard effort it was a excellent rebuild.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

On 13th January coming, it will be 2 years since I purchased the old run-down reverse chine V19C

I had anticipated about 9 months for the full rebuild and things went quite well until mid June 2021, when I had the genius idea to purchase a Sunrunner 3700LE with a pair of seized motors from Airlie Beach and bring it back to Brisbane to restore.

That turned into a major can of worms, which I am pleased to say ended up well, but the poor little Haines was neglected.

But I manage to get back to it a couple of times during the Sunrunner refurb.

I finally had it all done and ready for water testing at about this time last year, when we discovered that the 250 merc was not in a mechanically healthy state, and needed a lot of attention. We up ended doing a full rebuild, which I don't really mind, as I didn't pay too much for the motor in the 1st place and now I have a motor that is literally new.

SO - long story short....

We took the 19 for it's 1st run yesterday.

Very impressed.
    The 250 absolutely takes the 19 to another level.
    Pops onto the plane, tons of torque, and very fast.
    We only got it up to 4500rpm (48 kts), with another 900rpm to go.
    I didn't want to cane it too much, as I wanted to check that the pod was holding up to a 250hp motor on the back, so I put it through a lot of maneuvers deliberately to load it up. (Inspection later revealed no problems).
    It was very happy to cruise at 3500rpm - about 35kts from memory, but I will have to do a full 500rpm increase spread sheet.

IMG_2718.jpg

I managed to score a proper Haines V19C hardtop last week, and I hope to have it fitted in the new year.
    After that, upholstery and she'll be pretty close to done.

When I get accurate rpm/speed and fuel use figures, I'll post again.

I’d like to know what speed the other 900 rpm will give you that’s a rocket ship.