Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting over powder coat.

Painting over powder coat.

The Webster Twinfisher has been stripped down and now I start the prep phase. Plan at the moment is to bring any areas that had corrosion clean back to bare metal and etch prime and paint. All the old holes that were drilled in places that are no longer needed will be tig welded up and flap-disc’d smooth. The local paint shop recommend both 2-PAC etch primer and paint as I don’t plan on bringing back the whole boat to bare metal.

Has anyone painted over powder coat before and have any tips? I seem to remember a number of painters on the forum in the past. Hopefully they are still around.

what acid would you recommend on ally to get into those crevices that may want to be resistant to sanding?

any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: Painting over powder coat.

Are you sure it's powder coated?

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing, maybe they were, but I thought they were just painted.

Coming from a qualified spray painter, yeah you can paint over it with 2pac, but I’d be paying a lot of attention to any edges where the powdercoating stops, this stuff has a high film thickness and having a smooth enough transition from powder coat down to the bare ally so as not see a big ugly edge in your nice paint job can be hard to achieve, I’d also be making sure you’ve taken all and any shine off the surface, and prime the powder coated area with epoxy primer, only etch the bare ally. If it were my boat and the areas were accessible I’d remove it personally, or hard to reach areas I’d suggest a mobile sandblaster, they’re generally around $250 an hour to come out and blast it for you but it’d be money well spent

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Coming from a qualified spray painter, yeah you can paint over it with 2pac, but I’d be paying a lot of attention to any edges where the powdercoating stops, this stuff has a high film thickness and having a smooth enough transition from powder coat down to the bare ally so as not see a big ugly edge in your nice paint job can be hard to achieve, I’d also be making sure you’ve taken all and any shine off the surface, and prime the powder coated area with epoxy primer, only etch the bare ally. If it were my boat and the areas were accessible I’d remove it personally, or hard to reach areas I’d suggest a mobile sandblaster, they’re generally around $250 an hour to come out and blast it for you but it’d be money well spent
    Sorry, just thought I’d emphasise, if you do decide to paint over it, start with at least 180 grit and take the top layer of the powder coating off, then bring the grade of sandpaper up until about 320 - 400 grit before priming with epoxy - powder coat is as hard as a rock and you really want to make sure your paint’s going to stick to it

Well I didn't know that.
    Webster's Twinfisher Enterprises Pty, Ltd.

Welcome to the world of Twinfisher Aluminium Catamaran Boats, a very unique style of boat that you cannot find anywhere else in Australia One boat you will find different from the pack is the Webster Twinfisher. These twin-hulled aluminium boats offer single - outboard usage, which means you only have the one motor to purchase, fuel and look after. Webster's Twinfisher is "The Perfect Fishing Boat". Tough, stable, reliable Twin Hull powered catamarans designed and manufactured in Orange, NSW. These fully powder coated durable aluminium, single engine economy boats are ideal for the professional fisherman to the average family. The Twinfisher boats are available in Runabout, Centre Console, and Bassmaster layouts. Don’t forget the smaller Manta Rays and Tiller Steers. The Twinfishers are extremely easy to launch and retrieve. If you have an interest in one of the Twinfishers, we strongly recommend that you take one for a run with one of our many dealers, preferably in a bit of chop. This way you will not only appreciate the stability of the boat and how it handles the chop but how the boat drives and turns.
    I think sanding etching & painting would be the way to go Lovey.

EDIT: We cross posted Cobbo, it sounds like a nightmare $$$ job to me.

Get it blasted, don't once, do it properly, just make sure you get someone who knows what there're doing.

I heard from a sandblasted that powder coat is a horrible product to sandblast. All the stuff that isn’t ready to lift//flake off and still has a bind to the metal tends to ‘melt’ from the sand blasting rather than blowing it off like paint does.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Get it blasted, don't once, do it properly, just make sure you get someone who knows what there're doing.
    @$350 an hour with the local sand blaster emphasising how slow the process to remove powder coat is. I think I’ll do my best to blend the edges of where the powder coat starts and finishes.

You're not wrong Lovey, imagine what it does to sandpaper, it clogs up quick and tends to tear away rather than sand smooth. I'm with Noel, the most efficient way forward is sandblasting, and without 100's of hours of sanding it's really your only option for the best result, what's your time worth?

Are you in Brisbane Lovey? I'm not in the industry anymore but I can see if my old blaster is still in business and he can give you an idea on what you're up for?

I wonder if some kind of paint stripper might dissolve/melt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Are you in Brisbane Lovey? I'm not in the industry anymore but I can see if my old blaster is still in business and he can give you an idea on what you're up for?
    im on the sunny coast but if it was cheap I’d drive south.

The more time and money you put into the paintjob the more you will want to cry when snapper leads, fish and gaffs start taking bark off the sides and people start scratching up the gunnels and inside..

Do a decent budget job, leave the tissues at home and get out there amongst it and start scratching her up....

The new Tig arrived today. Pretty exited to get the settings worked out and all the little holes from previous rivets etc welded up.