Classifieds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Painting over powder coat.

  1. #1

    Painting over powder coat.

    The Webster Twinfisher has been stripped down and now I start the prep phase. Plan at the moment is to bring any areas that had corrosion clean back to bare metal and etch prime and paint. All the old holes that were drilled in places that are no longer needed will be tig welded up and flap-discd smooth. The local paint shop recommend both 2-PAC etch primer and paint as I dont plan on bringing back the whole boat to bare metal.

    Has anyone painted over powder coat before and have any tips? I seem to remember a number of painters on the forum in the past. Hopefully they are still around.

    what acid would you recommend on ally to get into those crevices that may want to be resistant to sanding?

    any advice is greatly appreciated.

    cheers
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  2. #2

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Are you sure it's powder coated?

  3. #3

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Yeah I was going to ask the same thing, maybe they were, but I thought they were just painted.

  4. #4

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Coming from a qualified spray painter, yeah you can paint over it with 2pac, but Id be paying a lot of attention to any edges where the powdercoating stops, this stuff has a high film thickness and having a smooth enough transition from powder coat down to the bare ally so as not see a big ugly edge in your nice paint job can be hard to achieve, Id also be making sure youve taken all and any shine off the surface, and prime the powder coated area with epoxy primer, only etch the bare ally. If it were my boat and the areas were accessible Id remove it personally, or hard to reach areas Id suggest a mobile sandblaster, theyre generally around $250 an hour to come out and blast it for you but itd be money well spent

  5. #5

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Coming from a qualified spray painter, yeah you can paint over it with 2pac, but Id be paying a lot of attention to any edges where the powdercoating stops, this stuff has a high film thickness and having a smooth enough transition from powder coat down to the bare ally so as not see a big ugly edge in your nice paint job can be hard to achieve, Id also be making sure youve taken all and any shine off the surface, and prime the powder coated area with epoxy primer, only etch the bare ally. If it were my boat and the areas were accessible Id remove it personally, or hard to reach areas Id suggest a mobile sandblaster, theyre generally around $250 an hour to come out and blast it for you but itd be money well spent
    Sorry, just thought Id emphasise, if you do decide to paint over it, start with at least 180 grit and take the top layer of the powder coating off, then bring the grade of sandpaper up until about 320 - 400 grit before priming with epoxy - powder coat is as hard as a rock and you really want to make sure your paints going to stick to it

  6. #6

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Well I didn't know that.
    Webster's Twinfisher Enterprises Pty, Ltd.

    Welcome to the world of Twinfisher Aluminium Catamaran Boats, a very unique style of boat that you cannot find anywhere else in Australia One boat you will find different from the pack is the Webster Twinfisher. These twin-hulled aluminium boats offer single - outboard usage, which means you only have the one motor to purchase, fuel and look after. Webster's Twinfisher is "The Perfect Fishing Boat". Tough, stable, reliable Twin Hull powered catamarans designed and manufactured in Orange, NSW. These fully powder coated durable aluminium, single engine economy boats are ideal for the professional fisherman to the average family. The Twinfisher boats are available in Runabout, Centre Console, and Bassmaster layouts. Dont forget the smaller Manta Rays and Tiller Steers. The Twinfishers are extremely easy to launch and retrieve. If you have an interest in one of the Twinfishers, we strongly recommend that you take one for a run with one of our many dealers, preferably in a bit of chop. This way you will not only appreciate the stability of the boat and how it handles the chop but how the boat drives and turns.
    I think sanding etching & painting would be the way to go Lovey.

    EDIT: We cross posted Cobbo, it sounds like a nightmare $$$ job to me.

  7. #7

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Get it blasted, don't once, do it properly, just make sure you get someone who knows what there're doing.

  8. #8

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    I heard from a sandblasted that powder coat is a horrible product to sandblast. All the stuff that isnt ready to lift//flake off and still has a bind to the metal tends to melt from the sand blasting rather than blowing it off like paint does.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  9. #9

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Get it blasted, don't once, do it properly, just make sure you get someone who knows what there're doing.
    @$350 an hour with the local sand blaster emphasising how slow the process to remove powder coat is. I think Ill do my best to blend the edges of where the powder coat starts and finishes.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  10. #10

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    You're not wrong Lovey, imagine what it does to sandpaper, it clogs up quick and tends to tear away rather than sand smooth. I'm with Noel, the most efficient way forward is sandblasting, and without 100's of hours of sanding it's really your only option for the best result, what's your time worth?

  11. #11

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Are you in Brisbane Lovey? I'm not in the industry anymore but I can see if my old blaster is still in business and he can give you an idea on what you're up for?

  12. #12

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    I wonder if some kind of paint stripper might dissolve/melt it?

  13. #13

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    Are you in Brisbane Lovey? I'm not in the industry anymore but I can see if my old blaster is still in business and he can give you an idea on what you're up for?
    im on the sunny coast but if it was cheap Id drive south.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  14. #14
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    The more time and money you put into the paintjob the more you will want to cry when snapper leads, fish and gaffs start taking bark off the sides and people start scratching up the gunnels and inside..

    Do a decent budget job, leave the tissues at home and get out there amongst it and start scratching her up....

  15. #15

    Re: Painting over powder coat.

    The new Tig arrived today. Pretty exited to get the settings worked out and all the little holes from previous rivets etc welded up.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us